First grow high expectations

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ant Dog, Aug 21, 2015.

1. #41 Ant Dog, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    One of my girls leaves burnt a little on the tip . I'm thinking maybe they were a little to close to the lights . It also got to hot because my girl shut off the fan while I was at work . She was just trying to help with the humidity . Kinda my fault for even asking her to check it for me but God Why did she have to do any more than what I told her . ...So anyways I backed them off the light a little . They are now 3.5 inches away from 180 watts of cfl . They have their own 60 watt right now ..... I was also reading low humidity can cause leave burn being they are forced to drink more and take in more nutrients . I'm not sure if this is possible being I havent added any nutes yet but the coco I'm using has some organic fertilizer in it already . It's suppose to be ok for seedlings .

2. #42 Ant Dog, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    I also watered them really well . They got pretty dry in the 9 hrs I was at work . If I can't keep this humidity down I think I'm going to have to water 3 times a day . This coco/perlite mix is drying out really quick . My waters ph was 5.9 . The run off was 6.4

3. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440568661.405044.jpg so I just added these clay pebbles to try to help retain moisture . I also put a cup of water filled with aquarium pebbles in front of the fan . The humidity is now 45 percent . It's been slowly dropping from 50 . Hopefully it doesn't go below 40 . My girls are only 4 days old

• Like Like x 2
  4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440568930.670325.jpg a close up of the damage . Poor baby

• Like Like x 1
  5. #45 Ant Dog, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
    Well I'm now maintaining 46 percent humidity . A little outside the box thinking . I soaked a t shirt in water . Rung it out really good . Took half a glass of water and stuck half the shirt into the cup so it doesn't dry out to fast . I hung part of the shirt a little in front of the fan

6. The temp and humidity are much better now . I'm holding steady at 78 degrees with around 50 percent humidity . Hopefully the plants recover quickly .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hey man looking good il also be growing in my closet soon around same size so il be checking back

• Like Like x 1
  8. good luck bro . Don't do like I did and burn your little baby . She's looking better today though

• Like Like x 1
  9. #49 Ant Dog, Aug 27, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440649863.615049.jpg My girls seem much better today

10. Also I only had to water once today with the lower temp and higher humidity . Nice to come from work and the cups still have a little weight to them .

11. Hey, I noticed you saying watering 3 times a day?! My baby's are now on day 11 and I still haven't watered them, they will tell me when it's needed. If my humidity is a bit on the low side I put a bowl of water in the tent, saves me risking the growth by over watering. I'll snap pics later dude

12. #52 Ant Dog, Aug 27, 2015
    Yeah man I had it way to hot and dry in their little box . It was drying out way to fast . They was literally bone dry when I watered them . I'm also using a perlite / coco mix . Everything I have read about coco tells me they need to be watered more often than soil but now that I have their climate under better control it seems I'll be watering every 2 to 3 days till they get a little bigger . I might have water more often once they get bigger . If they was in soil and my conditions didn't get so dry I prob would have drowned them

13. But yeah it's a bit unusual . I have been growing tomatoes and peppers form seed for the last 5 years or so . Normally I germinate them directly in little starter pots and typically they don't need to be watered the first week to 2 weeks . This coco dries out so much faster than soil . You top that off with the desert conditions I stupidly created for them and you got some real thirsty plants and

• Like Like x 1
  14. #54 Ant Dog, Aug 27, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440697798.337125.jpg my girls this morning . I also very carefully repotted them . 2 reasons behind this . I had aquarium pebbles in the bottom of the cups . I wanted to replace the aquarium pebbles with clay pebbles to help retain moisture . They also stretched to about 3 inches tall durning the initial growth . I want my plants short and focusing on root growth for now . Lucky I used paper cups so it was relatively easy to do . So I carefully cut the bottoms of the paper cups off and let the aquarium pebbles fall out . I made new cups with clay pebbles and perlite at the bottom . Than I made a cut down the length of the cup so it can easily be pulled away from the plants . Now I carefully replanted them till about an inch of the initial stem was showing . This part of the stem will now grow roots as well . The seedlings were still in rapid rooters as well witch made it easier . I got a little peak of the roots growing out of the rooters and it was very impressive for only 5 days . I know this sounds a bit extreme but if done carefully it is relatively safe . One of my plants is a little droopy today but the other 2 show no effects . Plants in my garden outside react the same way if moved . They might droop for a day but bounce right back . I'm a hell a lot rougher with my vegetables as well . I actually end up ripping part of their root system sometimes .

15. What's your grow medium sensi ?

16. Another way I know they for sure need water is by the weight of the cup . I actually keep a cup the same size filled with perlite/ coco but dry just to use as a reference . My plant cups were actially drying out so much they were lighter than the cups that never got watered .

• Like Like x 1
  17. I've never seen anyone using coco before personally so I couldn't tell you how the watering is with it, but my soil currently is bone dry at the top inch and my girls haven't asked for any water yet. It'll defintely be within the next two days but I'm hoping my ph tester arrives before then! I'm using canna terra professional soil, I've heard great stuff about it so hopefully it's good! So far so good though still lovely green with strong roots now.

18. Your doing right bro . Soil is totally different than coco . You have to keep the ph a little lower for coco as well . I need to be around 5.8 . Soil needs to be over 6 but below 7 around 6.4 I think but as long as you stay in between 6.2 to 6.8 you will be fine . Right now I'm using well water . My ph is 5.8 on the money . My run off is 6.4 . I'm not sure If I should be concerned with that . My water with nutes is 4.1 so I'm gonna have to up the ph when I start using nutes . I have never grown in coco either though just my research on it . I made Hempy buckets . It's passive hydro . Looks like soil but not to be treated like soil .

19. #59 Ant Dog, Aug 27, 2015
    Rule of thumb for indoor plants is generally 1 to 2 inches caution on the dry side . Most plants get a little yellow when over watered as well . Your plants looked really healthy in the pic you posted so you doing right but yeah they deff going to need water soon . I just talking about regular plants lol

20. 3 days since last pic I posted here? They shot up really quick

Attached Files: