Hows my plant look

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by vapourium, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Hi all, 1st grow here was given some free seeds so i just chucked one in some soil and hoped for the best its 3 weeks old now and spends most the day outside in the sun unless its raining then i stick it in a cupboard under 3 x 23w cfls. I also bring it in at night and put it under the cfl for a few hours before turning it off, then they go back outside 1st thing in the morning. Was just after some honest opinions on how its looking for 3 weeks old, it is alot greener in real life but does have brown colour where the leafs sproat from the stem. Phone makes it look yellow on pics. Plan on getting a little tent with fans and filters for the rest of the seeds i have but thought id test one while i look around for equipment. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Hello there, the plant looks a little small for 3weeks old. You are in soil right? Because if you are, your going to need to transplant that in to something with perlite in the soil. Without perlite, the roots will get compact and if your leaves start to twist it's a good indicator this is happening.

3. Thanks for quick response, yes it just soil from the garden mixed with some potting compost. Where can i get perlite is it available in local garden centres and what sort of ratio should be mixed with the soil.

4. Yes you should be able to get from the garden centres or your local hydroponic store. Do a 60%soil-40%perlite mix...that should give you plenty of drainage.

5. Awesome il go pick some up tomorrow and transplant it thanks for the advice.

6. Also just realised ive been using 2700k cfls rather than 6500k ones could this also affect the growth, they do spend most of there time outside during the day and then go under the cfls.

7. #7 Trichuk, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
    Well it is getting late in the season and September is not far. As its get later in the season the blue light Spectrum gets less and more red light Spectrum comes out which tell the plant it's time to flower. So I'm not a 100% but I'm thinking your plants need some 6500k for good veg. 6500k gives off more white/blue then 2700k which is red/orange. Lol and I know flowering relates to the 12hr light and 12hr dark.

8. Cool il grab some 6500k bulbs aswell tomorrow then and i think il leave it inside under the cfls once ive transplanted it to perlite/soil. Just looking at a few tents online, so much to choose from, but liking the bud box.

9. Little update. Transplanted it into 60/40 mix of soil/perlite and got hold of some 6500k cfls, couldnt source them locally so had get them online. When i transplanted it had hardly any root system what so ever. Its grown slightly over night last night but still looking small although it looks healthier than it did. Its staying indoors now under cfls on 18/6. Decided not get a tent but instead bought a shed load of mdf and going to build a room in the outhouse and plant a few more of the seeds i have when done. For now going watch how this lil en gets on in the cupboard.

Attached Files:

10. As mentioned it is small for three weeks old, even under cfl or late summer sun. It also looks yellowed, which can often be a sign of over watering or too much moisture remaining in the root zone and not allowing enough oxygen. Since you have added perlite that problem may very well be corrected so I would let it go a week or so making sure to only water once the pot starts to get dry before adjusting anything else.

11. Cheers for the advice jay much appreciated. The yellowings more to do with the phone camera i think as it looks alot greener than it does on the pics. When i transplanted it to perlite i was suprised at how little root system it had, and it held no soil ball either it was just a thin slither of roots about 4inch long. Hopefully it will be able to grow some nice roots now. If not il start from scratch once ive finished my room.

12. Yea, it is definitely hard to get good pics sometimes. Mine always looked washed out and orange under the hps and I dont have a bright enough light to add enough blue to counteract it.

I dont doubt the small root section. Usually what you see above the soil is a great indicator of what is going on below. Like you said hopefully it will take off better for you now. If it doesn't I would consider another brand of soil or mixing my own for the next grow. Good soil makes all the difference in the world.

13. Bit of a better pic under the 6500k lights looks alot greener

Attached Files:

14. yeah they definitely look a lot greener, what size pot is it in?

15. My metal halide make them look a little more yellow than my house lighting too.

16. Its in a 5ltr pot now

17. Well its been 7weeks now and its finally started to grow. For the last 7 days it seems to be growing a new set of leaves every day.

Attached Files:

18. Good job bro! You had good advice.

19. Yea good advice thanks guys il post more pics once its shown its sex

20. Looking good. keep it up.