How To Stop My Calcium Deficiency?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by TastyWinterBuds, Aug 15, 2015.

1. #1 TastyWinterBuds, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
    Hi I am growing in coco + perlite mix and got calcium magnesium nitrate powder from my hydro shop that I was told to mix with the coco and perlite but after a while that will flush away with feedings ect..

I am starting to see very very small rust spots on one or two leaves could be Calcium deficiency starting.

So I wanted to know will it be good to mix 1 tsp of the calcium magnesium nitrate powder with 3 gallons of water and just foliar feed my plant once a week give her a good spray down to prevent any deficiencies or should I rather mix in with the nutes? Any feedback is much appreciated.

2. I would just add a little cal mag to your feedings from now on.

3. I have done 3 grows in coco and had the same problems all 3 grows,and could never fix it. This is my 4th grow and no problems at all. Come to find out I wasn't feeding them enough. I was feed water feed, and I was starving my plants. Now I am feed feed feed and everything is growing beautifully. So don't get hung up on just a cal-mag it could be u are not feeding them enough.

4. it is important to feed calmag with every feeding. coco strips your calmag buffer from your plants causing them to get deficiencies. I run botanicare and i feed 3ml calmagl per gal when im feeding and feed 5ml per gal of calmag when im just watering.

5. #5 Trichuk, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
    I had the same problem in one of mine. My research said it was a zinc deficiency.
    I treated my plant because it had a lockout which meant flush, I corrected my pH coming out the runoff and she started growing again. I have see no more of it since and the leaf that was affected is growing fine and green.

6. I have read, but never tried, that using something like organic gardening lime is good to mix in with the medium to help stabilize the cal/mag issue. im still curious on trying it, seeing how the brand I have is pelletized and slow releasing, and being a pellet, it would be hard for it to be flushed out of the coco. anyone ever try this and if so, what were the pros vs cons on doing this. im apprehensive still, only because, what if it makes it harder to dial in how much calmag to use. any replies would we of help