Slow Growth in Veg

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dewdsage, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Hi,

I have 3 Female Seeds Iced Grapefruit and they are around 5 weeks since sprouting from seed now.

They are grown in JAB MP+JI (which is the first time I've used this, seems a bit stiff once it starts to dry on top). They started in root cubes, then .5L once roots showed well, then .7L about a week later as roots shown through, in that for two weeks and now in 1.8L pots, and roots are just starting to show, I've not added any nutes yet, but have added a little PM catalyst/bio-sillicon every now and then and they have root stim and granuals at each pot up.

Grown in a drobe under a 250w CFL, which is about 12 inch from them. Veg room shares a 6' extraction and 4' intake with the flower room, temps are around 28c usually, but got to 33c in this hot weather recently. Humidity is usually around 45, and they get misted with water once or twice a day.

20150814_191830.jpg 20150814_191848.jpg

They seem to be growing slowly, and I'm not sure what's causing it. But this is the first time I've grown this strain. Does anyone have any ideas or advice on this perhaps? Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Cheers.

2. They looks great for 5 weeks.

3. You think so mate? I expected a little more in the way of side branching by now. Need to get them cloned asap.

Roots seem to be growing much more than above soil.

4. Every strain is different honestly. What's the strain?

5. It's Female Seeds Iced Grapefruit, I wondered if it was the strain but I have a couple of NL clones which seem to be a little slow too I think.

I thought it might be the light, it's been in use for about 24 months now. Have just ordered a new one.

Thinking it could be soil as this one gets dry on top quick and goes proper stiff when it does, so got some PM soil too. Although I heard JAB+JI is supposed to be good stuff, it's full of shite (stones, sticks, plastic, etc).

6. I mean it's short. But not all plants are the same. My plant is a little over a month old and it's like a foot and a half. I have 7 plants. One of them is bubble gum and it's like 8 inches tall. As far the the color and look of the plant. It looks very clean and good.
    IMO FFOF is the best soil.

7. Typically, the rate of growth above soil depends on how much work they have to do getting rooted into the container you have them in. Each time you transplant, the plant has to get acclimated to it's new container and satisfy itself root wise before it will do anything much above soil level. Actually, I think they look really good. It's probably just this strain you're growing. I'm not familiar with it, but after doing this for a couple of years, I've realized that these strains are like children and all have their own way of doing things. If you keep them healthy like they are now, they will be just fine. If you want more foliar growth, limit the container size. Of course, you will be totally responsible for their feeding since they quickly use up nutrients in the soil. Good luck with them. TWW

8. Cheers dudes, I guess I'll just wait and see. They're due two more pot ups yet, next one is probably next week. Put the new light in now so hopefully they'll appreciate that.

Considered topping them to see if that promotes some better side branches for me to clone, but I'm not sure if that'll just stump them further this young.

Never heard of FFOF soil, doesn't seem like many places stock it in the UK.

9. I'm not a fan of toppling. LST IS BETTER

10. I'm using the same breeder and my C99 grew very slow in veg, but I did damage the trap root removing it from the paper towel along with some other stress. Have you used this breeder before? It was my first time.