Just sprouted, beginner with questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by kill4silence, Aug 14, 2015.

1. So let me first start off by saying I'm totally new to this forum (and growing).

I have two 2-gallon (maybe larger, not sure) pots, one waiting to sprout, and the other poking out about 1-2 cm. I am now about 6-7 days in, use CFL lighting (both share 6 bulbs; 18 hours on, 6 hours off; 4-7 inches away from soil surface), NO NUTRIENTS, and water about 2-3 times a day. First time I watered pots, I poured enough in for about 20% "spillage" at bottom (as recommended). Every other time I've sprayed until top soil is reasonably damp, but for the past couple of days I've just been spraying the top (little less water than before).

Here's my questions...

1. Am I watering like I'm supposed to? How many times a day should I be and what times work best?
    2. I want to start adding nutrients to the sprouted plant, but not sure how much. I use FoxFarms and on the Hydroponic Feeding Schedule, it says to give 3 tsp of Big Bloom in week 1. WHAT exactly does this mean? I know what teaspoons are, but are you supposed to give it all at once, or spread it throughout the week? For this same week, it only requires 2 tsp of Grow Big Hydro. Should I give it both nutrients at once or alternate?
    3. I assume the plants are really going to start to smell once it begins the flowering stage? Is this correct and, if so, what is the cheapest (but most effective) way to mask the odor? I live in an apartment building and I'm deathly afraid someone's going to smell it down the road.

All thanks in advance, cheers!

2. i'm also new to growing, and this forum lol but i've been researching like crazy, so as far as #3 goes, you could build your own carbon filter, or buy one for about 40$ online

i'll probably make my own, using this video https://youtu.be/d3o1AVFdGn4

3. I wouldn't cheap out on a filter fuck that's the most important part of my set up.. If I get caught I get butt raped and that's the shit I don't like....

Everything else you can diy add as you go, but don't cheap out on your security it's not worth it
    They will smell in veg assuming it's not a seedling I have a plant idk just over a foot long in veg stinky as fuck

4. Water by lifting and feeling the weight, water it its heavy as fuck, don't water until it's so damn light you're like umm is there any water here? Most will say sunrise or sunset I think but don't get water on leaves if you're watering then sticking under lights it'll burn the plants like a burning bugs with those fuckin lens things I'm drawing a blank, course if plant is weeping it's time to water you want to water before its begging for water essentially you're reading what the plant wants, if it's happy don't touch it lol

5. #5 nonfiction, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
    If you're plant is a little plant in veg you don't need to waste the money giving it bud boosters before the optimal time imo just dumping money into drain get a veg and a flower base nutes if you're going that route

Really you can do a bit less every watering or once a week different growers do it differently, you'll find what works and what wastes money

6. U should not be watering 2 three time a day! Your way over watering! I used three gallon pots and watered about once a week until close to harvest once plants got big i watered like every three four days! U can also get a ph light and moisture meter that has two long prongs u push in the soil and itll tell u when plant soil is ready to water for like ten bucks at home depot plant section

7. water till it runs out the bottom a bit then don't water again till the pot feels light. Don't feed them anything until there are at least here sets of real leaves. What type of soil are you using? Some come pre fertilized which can wreck havoc with babies. I pour water thru a gallon or so of Pro-Mix that I mix 50/50 with perilite and test the runoff for ppm and PH. If ppms are too high for young plants due to the fertilizer they add I just run more water thru till it's right. I want less than 300 ppm for young clones and less for seedlings.
    G/L

8. Thanks for all the responses guys! Here's the thing, the humidity averages around 40-50% so the pots dry up pretty quickly (every four hours or so, I'd say). I keep reading that once the soil starts to dry two inches deep, you want to water it. This equates to me watering every four hours (or about 3-4 times a day), though some of you say that's too much. So now I'm confused...do you want to water enough to keep the soil moist at all times?

For those who use filters or aren't sure what to use for the odor, I found this magical solution called Ona Gel that I'm going to try. As long as you put it outside and not IN your grow room, it will work wonders!

9. The roots of your plant are not in the two inches of top soil. When your plants gett bigger you can dig around the stem and see for yourself. Watering that much keeping it wet will encourage root gnats. They stunt and slow your growth when it is most important early veg stages! Try water till pot drips out, then let it get near dry then water again ext you will notice weight difference of your pots soon