Marco Rubio Wants To Roll Back Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ogderp, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Just saw this article today, thought I'd share to raise awareness about Rubio's opposition because he has the same plan as Chris Christie. But I actually think he's more of a problem because he's polling better than Christie, but I don't think he has what it takes to get the GOP nomination. I just hope I'm right.

http://www.theweedblog.com/marco-rubio-wants-to-roll-back-marijuana-legalization/

Senator Marco Rubio was on NBC's Meet the Press this morning discussing a wide range of topics of concern to his bid for the Republican Party's nomination for President. Towards the end of the interview, moderator Chuck Todd posed a question to Rubio submitted by a Facebook viewer. The question was how Rubio felt about states legalizing marijuana.

If you like weed, you might not like his answer (starts at the 33 minute mark)

For those of us who have been following along, his answer should come as no surprise. Here are a few quotes from Marco Rubio on marijuana courtesy of StopTheDrugWar.org:

“Marijuana is illegal under federal law. That should be enforced.” -ABC News, May 15, 2014
    “The bottom line is, I believe that adding yet another mind-altering substance to something that's legal is not good for the country, I understand there are people that have different views on it, but I feel strongly about that.” -Yahoo! News, May 19, 2014

[Spokesman]: “Senator Rubio believes legalization of marijuana for recreational use is a bad idea, and that the states that are doing it may well come to regret it. Of course, states can make decisions about what laws they wish to apply within their own borders.” -Politico, Jan. 31, 2015

“I'm against the legalization of marijuana.” -C-SPAN, Feb. 27, 2015

[When asked if he would enforce federal law and shut down regulation in Colorado:] “Yes. Yes, I think, well, I think we need to enforce our federal laws. Now do states have a right to do what they want? They don't agree with it, but they have their rights. But they don't have a right to write federal policy as well. It is, I don't believe we should be in the business of legalizing additional intoxicants in this country for the primary reason that when you legalize something, what you're sending a message to young people is it can't be that bad, because if it was that bad, it wouldn't be legal.” -Hugh Hewitt Radio Show, April 14, 2015

It's hard to believe with four states and DC with legal marijuana, and with as many as eight more states looking to legalize in 2016, that GOP candidates like Marco Rubio and Chris Christie would take a position that will ensure that they will never become President. It's time for elected officials and candidates for office to understand that the marijuana voting bloc is powerful, and continuing to grow every day.

It's not about getting high. It's about freedom, smaller government, and the economy. All issues Republicans say they support.

2. just keep the pressure on your congress man we have to keep hammering away at the.

3. I love this line... its like... "but Marco...the fact that EVERYONE KNOWS IT ISN'T THAT BAD, EVEN HALF OF THE GOVERNMENT IS POSTING STUDIES ACKNOWLEDGING IT, means that it ISN'T that bad...and the fact that we LIE to kids about only makes it more likely for them to try it..."

*facepalm* ugh...

4. Every Republican that speaks, and actually has a chance of winning, is going to respond to marijuana questions the same way as Rubio and Cristie . It's campaign season. It doesn't matter what they really believe, what they will do, or what they actually have the power to do they are going to pander to the more conservative base until they get through with primaries. After that you will notice them soften stances on some things to make themselves appear more liberal so that they can attempt to win swing voters. Reality is you aren't going to win the republican primary while taking progressive approach on anything.

5. Yeah that might be the case, but I still don't trust Rubio. He's being funded by the private and for profit prison industry and as we all know, they're against legalization because it takes a lot of their "customers" away. Hopefully he won't get the nomination, but I hope he changes his stance on the issue if he does. He needs to realize that trying to roll back legalization in the states that have approved it would do nothing more than create a political headache because the only thing that the Feds can legally stop is the retail sales and production for the retail market. They can't force the states to repeal their legalization laws, and then it would just create a wild west scenario in the legal states and the black market would skyrocket since personal cultivation and possession would still be legal.

6. I don't trust any of them to leave me alone other than Rand Paul. Unfortunately he will never get the nomination because he doesn't play the game and cater to the republican base. That is the real problem with that party. You have a small percentage of the party that decides the candidate then the rest of the party doesn't want to vote for them.

7. Yeah unfortunately he has no chance at all, he's almost invisible in the polls now because he's polling so low. That's why everyone's shifting their support to Bernie Sanders, but he might not be able to beat Hillary for the nomination. It'll sure be interesting to see what happens to the legal states after we get a new president, I still have the fear in the back of my mind that it'll all be over once the next president takes over.

8. If you honestly think any of these guys are pushing their own agendas, just no. These guys are being paid handsomely for their opposition to it because the privately owned jails and pharmaceutical companies are getting their toes stepped on and they do not like it.

9. #9 ogderp, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="WithTheMadness" data-cid="22044662" data-time="1443414377">
    If you honestly think any of these guys are pushing their own agendas, just no. These guys are being paid handsomely for their opposition to it because the privately owned jails and pharmaceutical companies are getting their toes stepped on and they do not like it.

Oh no, I know that's what's going on. I was just saying that I hope the next president will take the same approach as the Obama administration where they're personally opposed to it and won't change the federal law, but they won't interfere with letting the states legalize it and set their own policies. I hope that continues under the next president instead of a wave of DEA raids in the legal states.

10. I honestly believe we will see Hillary as our next president and I think they are more likely to continue the move towards legalization.

A weird side note. I was checking my sports book for games next week and found that I can also place wagers on politics. Right now the odds makers have Hillary greately favored to win the Dem nomination and the democratic party great favored to win the election. Oddly enough though the odds makers are still placing better odds on the next president being male.

elections.jpg

11. That's interesting, at least Rubio is pretty far back there at least. I just saw today that an NBC poll was released a couple days ago and it had Trump and Carson tied for first place and Fiorina and Rubio tied for third. It also showed that Hillary is losing ground to Sanders. I don't like that Rubio is even in the top 3 of the GOP polls, but other polls released recently have completely different results showing Trump with a significant lead in 1st, and Rubio all the way back in 5th place. So I guess it just varies by the polling agency, and most people say that polls this early on aren't really that significant.