My first grow / CFL / custom box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by tokinsmokin83, Aug 12, 2015.

1. I'll look into that. Thank you

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442444639.377864.jpg the one on the right is Delahaze she seemed to be one of the least affected by the recent drought and heat wave caused by me............
    I feel like she's almost ready to transplant. What do you guys think? I'll be going into these till harvest. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442444834.231254.jpg

3. I would wait on the transplant for maybe a week or two I've seen some pretty big plant in solo cups and it's always assuring knowing there is a solid root system an will be a smooth transition

4. word. Thanks

5. my last grow I had my babies is the same solo cups for 6 weeks of veg before transplant... I knew it was time when I had to water every day to keep em happy lol

6. I wanna start this post off by saying thanks to everyone that's been following or that has commented. You guys have been helping a lot.

Two days from now marks a month from the day I put the seeds in the soil. If you've been following then you know my temperatures were out of control sometimes 90-91 and I wasn't giving them sleep. Lights were on 24 hours a day. On top of that it was really dry in there. The soil was drying up quick not realizing this, and afraid of overwatering, I actually under watered them... I know, I know. :(

So since then I managed to keep lights at about 79-80. I now know when to water and my humidity is up. Picked this up for $20 on CL. I don't always have to use it but we have really dry days sometimes. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443141279.267758.jpg

Anyway so there is still an issue where 80 is the hottest it should be (according to what I've been reading) AND I only have one light on at the moment. It's a 125watt cfl that sits 2 feet away from the plants.
    (Not sure if this is close enough to them. Anyone know?)
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443141476.517169.jpg

The problem is that id need to turn on both lights once I repot them or once I start flowering at least and with these temperatures in not sure how I'm going to be able to do that. Here is what the back of my box looks like. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443141655.484640.jpg
    I have another door so I just use that one for now. But even with the AC on 76 it's still just about 78 in the box. So now I'm thinking I just have to buy a portable AC something like this. Not this one exactly but just so you get an idea of what I'm thinking ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443141775.327030.jpg

Place that next to the box, direct the cool air with a duct and inline fan. Sometimes you need a to have an exhaust out the window or something with these things I've read.
    Anyone have any luck with these?

Anyway here are my plants. They are really small but still growing leaves. I thought they should have been much bigger by now but I'm thinking it has to do with the heat and the lack of water in their early days?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142014.379917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142050.282660.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142071.201215.jpg this one is a bit younger. Look at how one of her leaves are just not there.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142141.575421.jpg looks like something bit this one but she grew like that after that leaf had been burnt my light or heat
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142221.130579.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142246.601648.jpg those bottom leaves have been dead since the hot days too. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142296.656471.jpg
    This one is only like a week old and it grew long as hell. Wonder if there wasn't enough light for her. She seems to be growing leaves just fine though. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142368.375917.jpg

Anyway guys what do you think about the whole portable AC thing? I feel like it's my only solution but I'm open to here something else. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443142452.949830.jpg
    I'm going to keep that in mind. Thanks.

7. you light is to high that is why the plants are stretching like that

8. That's what I was thinking. How far does a 125watt light have to be?

9. If u can keep the temp in check 3-5 inches

10. They are looking much better, your vegging temps can hit 85 just during flowering you want to strive for high of 78, 80 being the highest, if u can't hit those temps you might will need the portable a/c. If you can't hit the target temps during flowering you will be pissing in the wind. Just wondering but do you keep a journal of everything you do to them day for day? Oh an here is a link that has tons of useful info on temp control an explains why they are important and what happens when the temps aren't met Hope this helps you get your grow on a little more!

http://www.growweedeasy.com/temperature#seedling-and-vegetative-stage

11. Thanks for that link. I really appreciate it. I'm about to read it thoroughly now.
    I lowered the light really low just to see. Somehow it's cooler now than it was before. I'm guessing that's because the cool air intake it right next to it. Makes me think about my design. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443223561.731482.jpg

Soon, I'm going to put the lights as high as they can go and make two new holes for input fans. On the top of the box. I know you want your intake holes on the bottom but I'm thinking these will help cool the lights. Plus I might split the portable AC duct. Run two for the lights and one on the bottom.

That with my already existing two input fans on the bottom should hopefully make for good airflow. Oh I'm also planning on moving the carbon filter to the top center. Between both lights and getting a 250 cfm 6" in line fan. The one I have now is 100cfm 4"

Man this sure is an adventure and a learning experience. I'm humbled.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443224061.512334.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1443224168.704309.jpg shes starting to smell a tiny bit and it's so good lol.

12. #93 tokinsmokin83, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
    This isn't normal is it? Her bottom leaves are turning yellow. I wonder if it's nutrient deficiency. I haven't given her anything yet. Just the distilled water. View attachment 1884749

13. Isn't that just the cotyledon falling off? I think I read that they get their initial nutrients from those round leaves and they wither and fall off when they're no longer needed a couple weeks in. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

14. #96 tokinsmokin83, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
    If anyone was wondering, I moved my grow over here just now because I figured it's no longer a micro grow. I switched over to flowering and I'm now growing with the platinum p600 led

Things went south for a good while. The heat really did them dirty lol also I wasn't watering enough. I'm sure it stunted their growth.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1389439-Platinum-LED-p600-organic-tent'>http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1389439-Platinum-LED-p600-organic-tent'>http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1389439-Platinum-LED-p600-organic-tent</a></a>