Anybody use UC roots?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by closetcashcrop, Aug 4, 2015.

1. So I made two 54 gallon dwc reservoirs with (6) 5" net cups (will be using rapid rooters and hydroton) in each, have a big over powered pump, and two air stones in each. Will be using cultured solutions nutes. I should be able to maintain res Temps between 70-73 throughout august, then 66-68 through the fall and winter.

I have never grown in any form of hydro, and have a few days before my seeds come in.

MY QUESTION! The question to end 90% of my worry. Assuming my Temps stay low, will using "UC roots" to keep a sterile reservoir completely prevent root rot? Or does it merely help prevent it?

It seems root rot is responsible for practically every dwc failure, so I want to know as much as I can to prevent it, as I have about $2000 invested in my tent, and everything in it. And would really hurt if I lost my first crop.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I recommend hydroguard from botanicare. Itll prevent and cure any root rot. I dont run a single grow without it 😁

3. Is it practically an equivalent product to uc roots?
    And while using that have you ever gotten any rot?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah but its way better. Nope not at all and ive had rez temps 75-80℉

5. ive tried hydrogaurd and sensizyme voodoo juice...didn't work....I've tried sm90 and zone and h202 with no luck...root rot has killed 6 veg crops nothing went to flower its been 8 months now... I use 6 site 5 gal Rubbermaid totes with 609 L per min air pump tons of major bubble root rot root rot root rot...sanatized all totes w bleach...treated water with h202 before I put in sanatized totes....still rootrot...used frozen water bottles 12 celcius at first , get home from work 27-29 celcius...used reflective tape...oh rose like crazy every day even after I adjust it...and even after ro water....junked the b.s ...got a 39gal tote for mothers organic soil..starting fresh. Have yet to clone my flowering tent is a 55 gallon drum with sub pump hosed for return on my 8 (5) gal rdwc system which intake hose is pumped through a 300$ chiller....can't wait to use it! 2000 L per min air pump....my system clone moms and flower tent with all the right stuff cost about 4,000$ ,,I have pythoff, lg excel (organicide) systemic fungicide, sm90,dm zone, bonide systemic pesticide actinivate and rootsheild...all dedicated to irradicate pythium root rot as well as much more...i know I'm overly prepared but if you knew the losss I've been through because of it you would understand...getting some cidex too....everyone should look into cidex if you are a HYDROPONIC grower!!!...and of course I have an amazing lineup of nutes and additives....note...use sterile chemicals nothing organic... No kelp etc it will ruin the steril approach and cause growth.if my approach is still unsuccessful I will switch to teas and bennies.

6. Will you use all of those together? Or try each when the other fails?

7. i will do a mix of the fungiceds leaving out sm90 dmzone and cidex. If I see even the slightest sign ( will first show up on your net pot / media on the bottom in the bucket and on airstones ) then I will make a quick dose if the other stuff and shock treat it but only after I've drained everything and sterilized everything. I'm not at all saying hydrogaurd and other micro living organism bennies won't work. But I don't want to introduce living things even if the are beneficial the create their own algea wich fights root rot. I just don't want to ruin my " steril approach....can't stress it enough...light proof everything and it sucks but buy a 300$ chiller. With the chiller and no light you may not ever have to buy those chemical

8. Do you think sterile is the easiest route? Or are you just trying it because you've had bad luck with live?

9. i think sterile in the big process of things is the easiest and cleanest Rout ...I don't want to have to worry about live creating more algea creating a harder time cleaning....but I'm also devoted at trying one thing at a time and doing your best at it....I just happens to try steril first...yes I did try some live additives...but I chalk it up to the well known fact once you get root rot no matter how many times how hard you sterilize it will stay dormant in your system so when I tried alive after my second kids I still couldn't manage my water temp. So I decided to buy all new stuff bigger and better bought a chiller. And will do steril first...if no luck I'll go fully alive and out the same enthusiasms in that as I am with steril

10. How unstable were your temps? And do you think you would have been successful given stable temps?

11. i think now that I have a new setup and with the chiller it will be all I need to be successful... Before with frozen water bottles when I first put them in temp was in the 50 degree range freezing them stunting them forever then it warmed up fast...causing loads of stress as I work an 8 hr day I couldn't be home so when I got home temps were 70-80 ...instant root rot...
    But yes with a chiller deep in my gut I know its going to be all right now

i will use the systemic at first just as preventative maintenance

12. How large of a reservoir did you have? And what were your air Temps like?

13. pics

Attached Files:

14. when I had those problems I never had a rres . I used (3) 5 gallon totes that I could plant 6 plants in each tote...the system was its res. So I couldn't manage temps at all without being there 24/7 . you could say I was using single bucket dwc..now I have a huge 55 gal barrel hooked to my chillerchiller whole new setup

15. Everything for sale that you can use against root rot is either a water treatment or systemic plant treatment...nothing wrong with uc roots...I plan on trying it out but they are all preventatives or to help fight it off but root rot never ever goes away. So I plan on using my systemic so the plant can uptake it and fight it off light a flu shot. It's taken up through the roots and circulate in the plant.next uc roots and many others are a water treatment to control/ prevent it from becoming alive from its dormant state in the water/ rez/ buckets.

16. That's why Temps went crazy lol. I'm using 54 gallon totes filled with 35 gallons of water, I don't have anything in yet, but I've got a routine of (2) 1 litre bottles every 8 hours which keeps my reservoirs at 71-73 degrees. I figure that by the time I have plants in that system my air temps will drop 4-5 degrees from September air and so will my reservoirs.

17. water nutes etc. Will be sucked from each bucket then ran into my cchillerthen be filled into my resouvior perfect temp where I can top up with nutes and water it will then be pumped out and into each bucket giving me a perfect recirculating dwc setup

Attached Files:

18. Looks like you're in a 4x8 too haha

19. awesome! I would get a slightly bigger bottle just to keep your temp under or at 70 all forums books and DVDs say water temp should not rise above 70... Of course a few degrees here or there shouldn't b a problem if you have the right safe gaurds like alive bennies or steril chemicals. And like you said you can get there in time to change out the bottles

20. i have an 8ft tall 8ft long 4 ft wide tent pic makes it look small :-(.. Uc roots sounds like it has potential think I will add it to my stock