Diffuser problems, experienced bong users please help :)

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Kush-T, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Hey guys I'm just looking to invest in what will be my 4th bong and this time I'm going to get a BIG boy ting you know. S I wanted it to be some nice heavy heavy glass 5mm+ to have a bubble for that extra water volume and a nice round base for stability, and I found an EHLE one that matches the criteria unfortunately it isn't tilted and it's got this silly drain off hole and plug right at the bottom as if I couldn't just tip it upside down to drain the water but minus those it's on point, it's 35cm in height, 18.5mm bowl size. However it has a rather long down pipe and a Diffuser bowl on it, now I've never used a diffuser and I have no clue of what one does so could anyone inform me about there purpose etc... Are they really necessary? Do they work like a pre cooler/ ash catcher? What's wrong with a good old fashioned bowl!!

2. Long story short, you can replace it with a bowl if you'd like. Diffuser do just that, diffuse smoke, or break it up. Nothing special, just more "cooling" for the smoke.

On a different note, sometimes, questions take days to get answers, or never do. It just depends on the traffic AND if anyone has an answer. My guess is Apocalibz didn't have an answer, but you may have seemed impatient after one hour of "waiting" for an answer. It's always good to have a nice thick skin on the internet because no one knows you and you have no idea if they joking or not sometimes... chill out! [​IMG]

3. Thank you Dawill1967 I do need to chill out, Very stressed at the moment, so in you're opinion do you think a diffuser makes a lot of difference in the cooling and smoothness of the smoke? would you recommend it? personally I think I just like my water pipes simple and basic, no Ice, no ash catch, no perc, no diff etc...

4. You like beaker or tube style?

5. I'm not a big fan of "attachments" I keep my pieces clean and there's no need for extra drag to keep stuff out of the water for me.

6. bubble :)

7. Also could I not just use the head of the diffuser/ downpipe as my bowl if I put a gauze in it? I've seen them before where the downpipe and bowl is all one piece!

8. nah man. you want to get a proper bowl to fit in the down stem. more then that, diffusion also filters the crap better then say a strait tube. the more it breaks up the smoke, the better it can filter through the water. diffusion adds drag though. you can have too much diffusion. it creates shitty drag if there is to much. i go with something that has a single point of diffusion and then add a nice ash catcher to get the drag just right.

another thing to think of is how many enclosed chambers in any given bong. those places are a mother bitch to clean so if a clean piece matters to you then keep that in mind. for some cheap diffusion go to the dollar store and get a bag of glass crafting beads. they are about the size of a marble or so. pop them {bag and all if you like} in the freezer till frozen. then drop them into the bong, fill with cold water and you have all of the diffusion you'll ever need. and i personally like that better then ice cubes. unless there is an ice catcher in said bong and then the ice cubes them selves add diffusion.

you might look at the local head shop and see if they have something simmilair to what you are looking at. one, you might get a better deal. two, you can look it over and dry hit it to see if it is all it is cracked up to be.

here is the Zob inline i just got a couple months ago. i just got the beaker style ash catcher for it. the right ash catcher will keep your bong so much cleaner it is just fucking crazy.

[​IMG]

PS...
    fuck you tiny pic for rotating my images when ever you fucking feel like it. just fuck you...

9. Wow thank you mate what a helpful post! :) Yeah glass diffuser beads seem like a good idea, and so does the ash catcher, I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the ash catcher though, I like a simple looking bong, aesthetics are rather important to me :(