1st Grow Noob Here

Discussion in 'Bud Shots' started by IkeInMass, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Unknown bagseed getting close just need a second opinion of how close. Anyone care to weigh in? Unknown genetics, first time grow ever.

Attached Files:

2. you need a 60x or 100x magnifier to see the color of the trics thats the best way to tell if its done. how many weeks has it been in flower?

3. Well I've found out along the way (last week) that you don't start counting when you flip the lights to 12/12 so my time is off and I'm not sure how long it has been till they actually started flowering. I switched the lights 56 days ago.

4. So they have been in flower roughly 42-46 days, when they are getting close the calyxes (what the hairs are coming out of) will swell. I have used a microscope in the past but it is unnecessary before they swell or "fill out". With that said it is hard telling they could swell up in two weeks or four.

5. The calyxes have been exploding the last week. Buds have increased about 25% in the last 7 days. I check her every day. She's had a tough life. Sprouted on Thanksgiving 2014, lived in 50 degree weather for 5 months under sub par lighting, been transplanted 3 times and finally in the home stretch. Even tried out lst, fim, and topping on her for practice. The only female in 6 bagseed.

6. Way to keep her alive that long. Are they multiplying or is each individual calyx increasing in size?
    From the pics I would say she is stacking up (increase in calyxes). After she is done stacking up they will start to swell and this is when yield significantly increases.

7. They are stacking, filling in very nicely and they seem to be very dense when I squeezed one last week. They also seem to be getting bigger around as well. I think I will have some good smoke if I don't mess up the dry and cure. I ordered some hygrometers and a 10 pack of the small 62% rh humidity packs to help ensure I don't dry to fast or get mold and a dozen wide mouth canning jars. I should be all set for the harvest phase.

8. Love it when people do their curing homework, I cannot fathom poorly curing something that took so long to produce.

9. Fan leaves have begun to fade the last couple of days so I assume that it is another sign I am looking for. I was worried that it might be nute burn or a deficiency but after some research I found this is quite normal and I shouldn't try to correct for it.

10. Nugbuilder, I have watched hundreds of hours of videos on you tube and read countless articles. Some advice is better than others I have found out. I'm starting another grow with bagseed and then from there on out I think I will have enough practice to try with some good and known genetics.

11. Some people are just repeating others experience and alot is lost in translation over the net.
    I actually prefer to keep my ladies green until the end of flower (personal preference) but there is more than one way to skin a cat [​IMG]. Believe it or not I have had pretty good luck with bag seed, found some real nice keepers to clone from. I trust you will do adequate research before buying into some of the over hyped underwhelming genetics they have out there. Most of all congratulations on your grow.

12. Worst part of growing bagseed is all the time wasted to figure out sex. And you never really know what the male was that fertilized the seed. Hoping the 10 beans I have soaking I will get at least 3 females for a sea of green. I also want to try out mainlining as well. NugBucket has a great tutorial on it.

13. I have had issues with bagseed being pollinated by a hermie, and think I have a true female then find out later in flower it's a Bruce Jenner lol. I was lucky enough to get some great clones from a reliable source, they are my mothers now and I take clones from them. Keeping a mother plant and taking clones is a game changer, same great genetics every time and never have to worry about the male female nonsense (unless you want to breed your own strain).

14. Here are a couple more photos of the buds from today. Are these tricomes considered clear or cloudy?

Attached Files:

15. From the pics they look cloudy but the only way to truly tell is under magnification.

16. I can't find a single amber tricome on it anywhere.

17. A bunch of clear still? What power magnification you using?

18. My phone has 4X and I held a handheld magnifying glass in front of that. So, approximately, no clue.

19. LOL!!!! something to the something power [​IMG]. Shouldn't be much longer and those babies will swell. If anticipation is too much take a sample.

20. No, I have a couple weeks worth to smoke before I try my own. It's not a really big plant overall but I think I should still get 2 good ounces of dried bud.