Burying Smart Pots

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Kesey, Jul 29, 2015.

1. #1 Kesey, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    Howdy Folks! Stopping by to get some opinions on partially burying smart pots. I've got some 8ft+ ladies in 15 gallon pots and and they're starting to root into the ground which I believe to be more than acceptable, except in my situation I fear the native soil might not be up to par. Do you guys' think it would be a good to dig a respectable hole, fill it half with my own soil, and then back fill around the partially exposed pot? Not only would be it a more rich medium, but I think humus would help water retention (At least for a while until it wicks to the native) and with all the watering I've been doing I'd love to increase my efficiency lol.

This far into flowering I know a transplant is out of the question, but do you guys think the stress incurred with this idea will be worth the addtional medium/root space?

As always, I'm open to criticism and concerns. Thanks for reading dudes/dudettes!

2. [​IMG] Hi Kesey!!!!!!
    I've buried smarties in my bed before indoors and there was no transplant shock. the only issue was drainage from the first small smartie into the large bed. the soil in the small smartie stayed wetter longer than the bed. these were one gallons buried and mulched in a 100 gallon. I think outdoors, this would be a good thing? indoors at 70-75F was a little cool and plants got over watered.

3. Leave them alone. If there was any problems with the dirt they are rooting into, it would have shown by now. Nutrients go with the water downward so the roots will be getting good food below the pot. That dirt also has more minerals/silica than potting soil so it will probably help the cellular strength making it more disease resistant.

4. I agree with the LITFA ^^^^.

It's a good idea and I used to partially bury pots with good results.

BUT ... At 8'+ and at this stage you would do more harm than good messing with them. Something to keep in mind for next grow though.

Wet

5. #5 Kesey, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks for the replies yall! LITFA, the bane of my existence xD. I'll opt for the experience coming from you guys and and abide by LITFA. There's slight yellowing on the fan leaves, but I'm 3 weeks into flower and theyre massive in 15 gallons, kinda to be expected I guess. 6 week pheno of sensi star errywhere in the garden, God is goooood haha [​IMG]

I owe this forum so much thanks, the most I can do is to pay it forward and hope for the prosperity of others.

Much love GC

6. Good info .... Bet that Tree came out nice man.