Advice on neighbor troubles.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by michganman, Jul 27, 2015.

1. I'm a fairly good neighbor, keep to myself, don't have parties and I keep my lawn rather tidy. But next door I have some real redneck hillbillies that are starting to piss me off. They are the only family on the block that decided to not hook up to the city sewer system when we all had the option. Now they are having septic problems and its spilling out into their yard. Not only is it going into their yard, it has now crossed the property line and fence and onto my property. This has been an ongoing issue for a few months now and I'm really getting irritated.
    Basically these white trash people's shit water is standing in my backyard and my dogs are stepping in it and coming back on the house. Also I have a very young daughter I cannot let play in the backyard now. It's not fair.
    I tried doing the neighborly thing and just went over and talked to them about it to try to clear the matter up and see how he was going to fix it. I swear the dad is half retarded. He said some shit about digging a trench eventually and basically some bullshit about how it's not dangerous blah blah blah. Yea right, raw sewage not dangerous? It's a serious health concern as far as I'm concerned and I'm worried it could contaminate my drinking water since I'm on a well.
    I don't like dealing with police or government but I am starting to get very defensive about possible detrimental effects to my daughter. I have a large semi legal grow going on in the woods behind my house and I'm pretty sure they know. I'm worried if I call the health department I'll create bad blood between us and he will rat me out to the authorities....so what should I do? It's not like I have a few extra g's to fix his septic, and I'm sure he doesn't either otherwise he would. If I did call the health department, they would come out, give them 30 days to fix it and come back and shut off their water until it gets done. I morally don't want to leave a family without water either...so I'm stuck I guess. Any opinions?

2. I wouldnt question my morals!

He has a moral obligation to keep his shit out your garden.
    No mate i would certainly inform the authorities.

Well i would notify him first. Tell him if you dont fix it i will need to report it. Its putting my family@risk.Not only that its fucking disgusting!

3. Call the city, problem solved.

4. Yeah, I don't see why there's any question about this. He's violating a lot of codes, he's going to make you sick, your dogs sick, and eventually the rest of your neighborhood sick. There's a lot I find questionable about this story though, and I suspect you maybe trolling. Most cities do not give you an option to hook up to the sewer. When the sewer comes in, everybody generally has to connect whether they like it or not.

5. #5 michganman, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
    naw that's actually pretty standard around here. My wife's aunt refused to be connected to the line as well where she lives. The only reason I'm thinking is they just don't want to pay the sewer bills. It turns out, a couple hours ago they had their car get repo'ed from their driveway. So obviously they don't have the money to fix it. They are generally nice people and I'm not into making enimies.

Edit: I'm not trolling shit though man, my wife was telling me there has to be so many neighbors willing to get it for the sewer work to even begin. There's a fee for connection per house to get connected...I've just heard of people opting out. Because I've got sewer and so does everyone else but there's like 9 jobless people at the neighbors collecting welfare checks and being lazy that said fuck it. But they're damn friendly lol. I wish they were assholes

6. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438037023.490106.jpg shit water with my dogs foot prints in it. = not trolling

7. I would offer to help dig the ditch

8. I would call the city thats why you pay taxes

9. Dig a pit in his backyard and build him an outhouse. You said they were hillbillies so there should be no problem. Then get a wet vac and vaccuum all the shit up in your yard. Buy a few bags of concrete mix and build a barrier where it was leaking onto your proporty.

10. You can't let people slide on unsafe practices just because they are nice. Go report that before someone gets dysentery, salmonella, cholera (which there were not even any cases of in the US in 2014), or something else that can potentially kill someone, but will certainly put you in a ton of pain and the hospital. Of course they are nice about, they will probably get a hefty fine for that and have to clean it up properly, or have it be declared an unlivable property. Completely not okay there are also parasitic worm eggs in a lot of fecal material and tons of awful things you just do not want to come into contact with. Overlook their kindness in light of their incredibly idiotic and dangerous lack of action.

11. Sorry, but if you don't do anything about this that makes you a chump. I would not put up with that shit for a second.

12. Half legal? Your reluctance to make the call is troubling. Personally, i would not have a child where im growing 'Half legal' whatever that means.

13. if you have a grow and your neighbor knows,lets face it he will snitch on you and you will face more repercussions than his hillbilly sewer problems,incarceration,child endangerment,fines ,legal fees ,search and seizure,and a host of other impending dooms.pic your crop clean it up then call the health department on his ass ,you sound like a caring person(most potheads are),but your priority's are with the health of your family not the asshole hillbillies next door.hope its harvest time but you gotta clean it up then make that call .Your little kid needs vitamin c and your dogs will get sick from licking thier paws and lets not forget legionnaires desease,but please please clean up your grow then give health dept an annonymous call

14. Wow, some harsh responses. Chump? Naw, compassionate, yes....I thought about it a couple days and I decided I was going to help him dig a trench out into the woods until he has some extra money to fix it. This will get me through until after harvest at least and if It isn't fixed by then I'll definitely call. Haha some of you must be some real asshole neighbors.

15. my neighbor had a septic problem a lot like the one you describe it ended up costing us a few thousand dollars because of how badly it leaked into our ground neighbors didn't even say sorry we moved a few months after that don't let it get out of hand or you will have your own property damage to take care of

16. Oh and I'll also be constructing some sort of barrier with a yard of fill dirt I have laying around

17. On the bright side, if your toilet is ever clogged you can just go shit in the ditch

18. Have your neighbors done anything to prevent their shit water from going into your yard? If no, why would you help dig a trench for free?

19. I personally am not a dick neighbor, but if you already told him and he didn't even do anything about it, he's the dick neighbor.

If he doesn't have money, well coincidentally enough, God gave us the best tools you could ask for. (Hands).

20. yes, he started a trench but didn't make it all the way back to the woods