Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Decarb before butane extraction?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by PatrickXy6dC, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Has anyone ever done this? Would it just be redundant? I have some fresh cannabis that is curing slowly in mason jars. As it cannot have decarbed from age do you think decarbing to turn the thc up would make any difference? Next time I make bho I think I'll try it, unless someone convinces me otherwise. Open to suggestions and opinions.
    Thanks, folks.

2. #2 Jimmy Carter, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    turn the THC up?? huh? what are you trying to accomplish by that, are you making edibles?

I'd prefer to decarb after extraction as the high temps will help ensure its purged well.

3. Would decarbing before the extraction increase the cbd/cbn count? I feel like it would. or is butane more prone to pulling thc? I forget

4. #4 PatrickXy6dC, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    I was hoping to decarb thc-a to thc and increase the thc in the butane oil extraction. I haven't decarbed after extraction. I only have a 14 gram tube so get very little oil. I add a tiny bit of EC to the oil, mix it up and mix it with ground bud. Smokes really well in a bong after it has thoroughly dried. No special rig used. Not making edibles, but may want to make some tincture.
    Jimmy Carter- would you give me the details on decarbing after extraction, please.
    Thanks.

5. #5 Jimmy Carter, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    you're not going to increase the amount of THC, you'll just be changing the amount of acid-form (THC-a) and delta9. Leave it non-decarbed if its meant to be smoked.

you mixed everclear into your oil? or something else?

To decarb oil you just put it in the oven at 220-300F just like decarbing plant material, how hot and long you decarb is up to you.

besides, you'll just be removing all the more volatile terps by doing that so you're gonna be taking away from the experience.

and do you have a vac chamber?

Yeah it would be higher in CBN most likely

6. I have a small vac chamber, but it doesn't tell the negative pressure. Hence the EC- two reason. My return from 14 grams is small (got a 25 gram tube coming), and I (hope not mistakenly) that leaving the EC in the oil, the butane would all evaporate leaving clean EC oil.

7. I still dont see your reasoning, now you're left with a solvent that has a boiling point over 130 degrees higher than the original solvent, so now you're left with everclear to purge out. if you have a vac chamber then just skip the EC unless you're winterizing.