First time DWC grower. Help needed :D

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Claymorrow, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Hey guys so I've been interested in growing for years and have moved places quite a lot. Now im in a house where I actually have a room perfect for this setup (loft kind of thing) and ive started to add up all the equipment I'm wanting, I'm from Uk so any british people that could help please do.

So I have been studying cultivation for a while and think I know enough to get 1 or 2 plants grown. Please don't give me hate just correct me on anything I need and also give me tips for how much nutrient to add.

Im also not too good on the names of things so if they dont make sense just drop a question ill try explain it in my way :p

Grow area-
    Getting a grow tent 60x60x120cm, have sized it all up with tape measure and looks like it'll be a good fit :)

Lights-
    Either choosing between buying a shit load of small cfl's which means i need proper lamps etc
    or just buying the big 300w cfl 6400k/2700k
    Any other advice here for different stages is welcome.

Nutrients-
    Sensua general hydro kit includes Bloom, micro and grow
    Reminder im in the uk and the fox farm stuff is £100!!

Seeds-
    Considering autoflower as im beginner but have no problem changing light timings :)

Going to use rock wool and clay pebbles as the medium.

Reminder this is just anything i need to add to my basket as well as any other tips you guys have. Thanks

2. Air pump, air stones, tubing to name a few things.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

3. just a couple things. ditch the clfs and either get a hid or led. if you have a house and are going to spend the money on the tent and all get a good light thatll get you a bit of yield. second ditch the autos theyre crossed with ruderalis and aren't gonna get you good smoke. if you can grow an auto you can grow a photo. third, ditch the rookwool and grow in something thatll work with you a bit like coco. rockwool stays saturated forever. easy chance for a beginner to overwater. its pretty damn hard to overwater say a 50/50 mix of coco/perlite

4. hi mate. Im also in the UK. How well is your loft insulated? It's just in the winter when everyone has snow on their roofs and yours is the only one in the street that the snow has melted, its going to raise a few eyebrows.

Also, in the summer when it's baking hot, how hot does your loft get?

2'x2' is enough to give you a few oz every few months, but just 4' of height will drive you crazy very quickly. I thoroughly recommend you get a tent that is at least 5'. Even if you have to get a 3'x3' and not use all of the space. Height is very important.

CFLs are ok up to about 200watts. Any more than that and you are just wasting electricity. CFLs are not very energy efficient and if you are going to go for a 300w CFL, buy a 250w HPS instead because it will easily double your yield

CFLs need to be kept within 4" of the plant which means adjusting the height of the lights often needs to be done every day.

LED is another option. But not a cheap one. LED watt for watt is about on par with HPS.

I very much recommend growth technology's ionic grow and ionic bloom. I use them and they are easy to use, very cheap, and are extremely well balanced for marijuana.

Rockwool is very hard to keep the correct moisture level, I don't recommend it. I use straight clay balls and it works perfectly.

Autos are great for outdoors, and indoors if you have the room, but you need that height for them. Because you are not in control of flowering, training has to be kept to a minimum, and they can get very big very quickly when in DWC. I have some growing in a 6' tall tent right now, they have just started to flower and I'm almost out of room. Nothing wrong with autos, but photoperiod sensitive plants are easier because you have more control

5. Hi mate, my loft is actually quite well insulated. I would get a bigger grow tent its just my loft is a certain size think its only about 4 ft tall. Had forgotten to add i was buying a wilma dripper system. I would like a hps one but im sure you know yourself mate they bring a lot of heat to the area and i live in a dodgy area where we get heli's flying over all the time with the x ray thing. I live in Scotland we have no such thing as summer xD.

Ditched the autos as well put some northern lights in the basket as they seem best for a first grow.

Ill most likely be using CFLs because they dont draw too much heat and are the cheapest option but i've ditched that big one and just got about 6 30w ones (3 2700k 3 6500k)

6. #6 GoldGrower, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
    watt for watt CFLs and HPS don't vary much in heat output so those pesky porkers in the sky using infrared to see any escaping heat will see either one just the same if the same amount of watts are used.

However, all the heat from the HPS comes out of a very small area, about an inch square so it's pretty dam warm right underneath. CFLs on contrast have all their heat radiating from a much larger area so it's much cooler when just a few inches from the bulb. An advantage when height is considered, but not when comparing general heat.

If you bought a dimmable 250w HPS and ran it on 125watts the heat output is practically nothing and would still yield a lot more than 180 watts of CFLs.
    But CFLs still do a fair job so I'm not knocking them.

Because you are so strapped for height you are better off not getting an RTF system like the Wilma because they take up a lot of height. You will be far better off with a low profile DWC reservoir like this one

[​IMG]