My first DWC system

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Massi_WF, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Hi!
    I'm an hydroponic's beginner who try his first experiment in this fascinating colture.
    I created a simple DWC system consisting of:
    \t- 5 litre water tank;
    \t- 3 hydroponics pots;
    \t- 1 air pump;
    I chose 3 different plants: wheat, greek basil (the one in the middle) and genovese basil.

The nutrient solution is prepared with the GHE flora series. Everyday I check EC and pH values (average values are EC=1.09 and pH=6.5).
    The system is positioned outdoors, it receives light from 11:00 till 18:00.

Pictures show the plants after 9 days of cultivation.. what do you think about it? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank a lot!
    Massimiliano

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Remember the more air in the water the better! I might have gotton a bigger more outlet pump so the roots wont compete for air in the water! Like having too many fish in a small tank they will suffocate without more air in there! Plus little plants like watered down nutrients like babies like babyfood! Get yourself a one way airline check valve so you can place the pump below or behind the planter and it will look cleaner imo. Basil grows fast! Mine is in huge! Like three feet tall!

3. Thank you!
    Sorry I don't understand the benefits of put my air pump below or behind the system, can you explain me please?

Ahah yeah I have a Basil plant too (with cultivation in soil) and it's very big!

[​IMG]
    I took this photo today :)

4. What's your ambient temps? Sun and heat baking on the tubing means air inside will be warm

Unless ambient temp is 60-70*s, move the pump to the shade

5. This month the average temperature is 30C (too hot), the pump is always located in a dark place (I move it under the sun to take the picture). Unfortunately I can't move the air-tube :(

6. Wrap the tube with foil, to reflect the heat away.
    Foil may also be good on your grow container and lid.

7. Putting the air pump out of view for ascetics only to get a cleaner tidy look. Thats it.