Does anything REALLY matter?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ThatHighGuyInOntario, Jul 22, 2015.

1. I've been thinking and their really is no point to life, people all stress and worry about the littlest things but in the end we're all going to die, and when we are dead are we going to be worrying about what _______ thought of you or what not, no it doesn't, no matter what we do on earth it's going to stop and you will be dead.

2. It only matters if you think it does. I think it matters, so I live life.

3. This is the thought process that I eventually come to just before succumbing to ego death.

It is a pickle, for sure. I can't say how or why, but some things certainly DO matter. Whether or not there is a point or purpose in life, making things better for the people around you is significant in a way that nothing else is.

I use these two together as a sort of life compass. Charity and service of others as a guideline for the paths I take, and a constant knowing that it is eventually meaningless as a refuge when I get in over my head.

4. my life matters! i have a ferocious appetite to stay alive......if only i had that much work ethic

lol

:)

5. All that matters is what we do to sustain our state of living.
    Oh and procreation.

If you really wanna be a rebel, rebel against those things.

6. It just boggles me that in 200 years or shorter no one will of even known you existed and nothing you did when in the world had any effect on the earth whatsoever idk man I'm cooked out of my mind and I can't wrap my head around this hopefully you guys can see what I'm trying to spit

7. Every action you take and word you speak ripples outwards and affects the lives of many, many people every day whether you are aware of it or not.

You can be pessimistic and selfish, and observe the causes of these actions.

Or you can be positive and helpful, and observe the causes of these actions.

Just because YOU are dead does not mean the world stops turning, does not mean other people's problems go away, does not mean the universe discontinues. It's really fucking selfish to stop caring about things because "WELL I'M GONNA DIE ANWAY WHO CARES YOLO!" We're here to help each other and enjoy each other, nature, beauty, everything. Just because there is no objective goal does not remove meaning -- you give your own life whatever meaning you want. I'll leave you with this quote to hopefully open your mind a little bit:

<h1 class="quoteText" style="margin-bottom: 15px; color: rgb(24, 24, 24); font-weight: normal; font-size: 14px; font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”</h1>

8. I like to think I'm a pretty helpful positive person for the most part i just couldn't wrap my head around the whole point of worrying and stressing and panicing over dumb things like ex girlfriends, school, work, ect.... When in the end your just gonna die and none of it would really matter so why do we constantly put our bodies through the pains of stress ect and why do we as humans worry so much, I'm not sure my first two post fully explained what's going on in my head :D

9. How much anything "really matters" is 100% subjective. If permanence is the measure of how much something matters then ultimately nothing will matter. But if I picked the right six numbers, it would matter enormously to me whether it mattered to anyone else or not.

Life is a trip. Enjoy the scenery. The destination isn't the point of it.

10. Sure over a long enough time span, how most of us spend our lives will affect nothing. But if this is the one chance you have to live, then how you spend that time is the only thing that matters.

11. Mr. Nobody

12. If anything mattered, you could take it with you when you died.

13. so what it sounds like is youre down because you realized once you die time will go on and you will be forgotten? Do something that will make sure youre always remembered then. Making threads on a weed forum isnt going to be what gets you in the history books 200 years from now.

Another point you said is when you die its basically all gone and none of it matters, how can you say that? For all you know life is a test and the attitude like what you are displaying is what will make you fail. Failure or passing determines just how good your "afterlife" will be.

Or maybe im wrong and there really is just a black abyss. Wont know till its time so why even worry about it.

14. The universe doesn't care what happens. I think about this a lot especially when people bitch about the smallest things at work.

I also think about how we have created a society in which we have withdrawn almost entirely from out natural ways. There is no hunter gatherer concept. We are sheltered clothed and fed, in exchange for slave labor so that someone higher up can afford better things and more vacation. Kinda depressing but that's the reality. We have also over complicated literally everything all the forms and laws and technicalities. Yet none of it really matters in the scale of things.

I've looked at the night sky high out on smoke breaks when I smoked cigs with a beer in hand and have racked my brain for answers. It's frustrating knowing that we can't obtain the answers. We are just existing in an infinite universe and our brains literally cannot process the vastness of it all. It's amazing how it is all ignored but maybe that's how it is meant to be so that we make "sane decisions" or so we think.

I don't know what I'm trying to say lol just rambling but that's what I've observed. All that being said I've learned to brush things off easier because once I'm dead none of it will matter the earth will keep turning and the universe will move on like it always will.

The term mind blowing is appropriate here.

15. To answer your question quickly OP, YES

16. #18 Fizzly, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
    Enjoy your youth and your health while you have it. If you think life sucks now, wait until those two are gone.

IMO, it takes a lot less than 200 years for people to forget you ever existed. More like a few years, or maybe 2 generations for family members.

Make the best of it.

EDITED TO ADD:

[​IMG]

17. #19 Snarfindorf, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    Nobody knows you exist right now and nothing you do now (unless you have the power to change things) will matter, scratch 200 years. Tis the way of life.

18. This is the funniest post I've read in a long time.. Who Thinks about death that deeply on a regular,, Show of hands haha..