I believe gender reassignment is wrong.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by J_IntheMix, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Don't call me son. I am NOT a man. This is basic respect 101.

I'd like you to know that virtually all major medical organizations treat gender dysphoria as a medical condition requiring the physical treatment of transitioning. I think I'll take their word over yours, random anonymous internet guy that repeats dogma and doesn't cite facts.

Transitioning isn't cosmetic. Hormone replacement therapy for trans women activates the same gene expressions that cause the same biological pathways for sex differentiation that cisgender women go through. It's basically second puberty. If I were to go to the ER and they had to give me medicine that requires significantly different doses for men than for women for safety reasons, giving me the male dosage would potentially kill me, whereas giving me the female dosage would be beneficial. The reason for this is that my physiology is female, and the sex of the cells in my body are all female, thanks to the estrogen that they run on. My chromosomes really aren't relevant to my biological sex, and there are women that have XY chromosomes (look it up). Speaking of DNA, my DNA being what it consists of is the reason why hormone replacement therapy with estrogen works, and why it works for trans women in general. My transition has been 100% medical (well, I did socially transition too), and my biology has changed.

I'm not confused about my gender. I probably understand my gender way better than you do, because I was forced to confront it. Transitioning has been an amazing experience, and I'm incredibly glad that I underwent it. Just because it isn't something that you need doesn't mean you can't actually be respectful and expand your understanding of science in regards to it, as well as your ideas about biological sex that are simply scientifically incorrect. There's really no use for being closed-minded and repeating wrong ideas. You obviously don't understand a single thing about why I transitioned or why trans people transition in general, so don't you think the more intelligent thing to do would be to be respectful and listen to us about this?

2. it doesn't offend me at all. I believe you should live your life the way you want to. Since the other poster can't explain it maybe you can. What about chromosomes and DNA that makes you what you are? Does a hormone shot change that? No......therefore gender wasn't changed.

3. I wonder how you fit hermaphrodites into your concept of what is meant to be?

4. On a side note tattoos and other body mods do make some people comfortable in there own skin. There's a beautiful woman that goes to the shop I do. She was severely beaten by her ex husband. Tattoos cover her scars and makes her feel comfortable in her own skin. So to me its no different the someone having cosmetic surgery done to remove a penis and insert a vagina to feel comfortable in there own skin.

5. Oh come on take a walk on the wild side.
    [​IMG]

6. Why do you insist on referring to me as male? Are you intentionally trying to be disrespectful? What is your deal?

I'm really not talking about my opinion. I'm talking about scientific facts. Oh, and the science that I linked to showed that being transgender is a physical condition, not a mental one. You are free to think that chromosomes separate men and women, but it's not me that disagrees with you, it's well-documented science that says otherwise. You aren't stating an opinion. You are stating a factual claim that is blatantly wrong, and I have posted links to the science that explains why. Stating "well, it's just my opinion" doesn't mean anything when it comes to factual claims.

The only reason that hormone therapy works for transitioning a person's physiology from male to female or vice verse is because of genetics. Turning a penis into a vagina doesn't change chromosomes, and neither is it a cosmetic procedure. It's a necessary medical procedure for many trans women, and it's a procedure that's only done to trans women that have taken hormone therapy to convert their biology from male to female (there are very strict guidelines on eligibility for surgery). My breasts that I've grown from taking HRT are 100% natural, because my genetics contain the instructions to grow breasts upon having my body run on estrogen. My physiology is female, and I have a really good doctor that understands all of this. Hell, I can even produce the same type of vaginal lubricant that cis women produce (thanks to HRT), and I haven't even gotten my vagina yet. Estrogen is an amazing thing.

7. Well, gender indentity isn't determined by chromosomes. It's determined by brain structure, as demonstrated by the scientific research I linked to earlier in this thread. My gender was female before I started medically transitioning.

Oh, and if you are saying that I can't explain it, you're blatantly lying, because not only did I explain it, I cited my sources as well. You can stick your fingers in your ears and scream LALALALA, but that doesn't change the fact that you are simply wrong in how you think the world works in terms of sex and gender differentiation.

8. Being a gay man with Navajo relatives and Apache ancestry I can tell you that this so called "two-spirit" new age bullshit has nothing to do with Navajo culture. The two-spirit label is a generic term slapped on any native culture that honors gay folks in the tribe. In Navajo culture the most important aspect of traditional spirituality is a word that doesn't translate very well into English. The closest equivalent would be harmony/balance/beauty. The word is hózhó. The Navajo 12 teachings revolves around that word. Their sandpaintings, ceremonies, coming of age rituals and blessings are geared to maintaining hózhó.

Both genders have a male and female side. For men the male side is dominant and the female side is dominant in women. For gay people they are in perfect balance. Therefore, holy. The reason gay people are so honored among traditionals in the Navajo tribe is because of the creation story. There was a period in their tribe where women and men were at odds with each other and split the tribe by gender. It was a stupid argument over who was the better provider. They moved apart from each other. They found out that both genders were necessary for the tribe to survive. During this time the children suffered from malnutrition and neglect. It was the gay members of the tribe who cared for the children and kept them from starving to death. To this day gay people are considered the caretakers of the tribe's children. Children are very important to the Navajo. That is why they are honored. Not because of some made up new age crap.

9. Sexual reassignment surgery is not a cosmetic surgery in any way. You can stick your fingers in your ears and scream LALALALALA, but that doesn't change the fact that virtually every major medical organization recognizes the fact that sexual reassignment surgery is damn good treatment for a well-known medical condition.

10. because we're on a forum and everyone says man, dude shit like that. No disrespect intended. You really need to stop getting bent out of shape because someone's opinion differs from yours. Thank you for backing up what I said though......chromosomes can't be changed

If chromosomes can't be changed gender can't be completely changed. Only covered up. You want to call your article science. Well science dictates men and women have different chromosomes. You can take all the shots you want, so could I if I wanted to. It would change my physical appearance it would not change my chromosomes or DNA....I'm open to having my mind changed but until science learns how to change that you can only change physically. No disrespect not do you need to get upset because of my opinion. Its a free world to choose. But don't put words in my mouth. I've never said anything that shows I'm offended by it because I'm not. Its not my thing but I'm sure alot if the shit I do may not be everyone else's thing. I'm adult enough to live with that. I'm glad you did what makes you happy. It still doesn't change the science if chromosomes or dna

11. #31 killset, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050323124659.htm'>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050323124659.htm'>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050323124659.htm</a></a> here's an article supporting the differences in chromosomes between men and women since you changed your mind. There's a ton more if that doesn't work for you

12. That's really interesting Carne. Do you know if this is common among many or all north american first nations or is it exclusive to the navajo?

13. Anyways, the science that I've posted in this thread is on the first page. If anyone's actually interested in the science behind sex differentiation and why trans people exist, you can go there and read it for yourself. However, I think I've spent enough time today arguing with people that are willfully ignorant (looking at you, killset) and insist in repeating claims that are simply wrong, despite being shown documented evidence as to why they are wrong. I might post more science on this subject later if I have spare time, but I really need to get on with my day.

killset, I'm sure you're not a bad dude, but I really don't understand why you refuse to do anything to have an informed worldview on this topic, yet still post about it anyways. I don't get it.

14. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, they should if they really think they need it, but the idea that you can change your biological sex, which is determined before birth, is false. You can undergo medical procedures that change your physical appearance and make you exhibit many female characteristics, but there are fundamental aspects of your biology that you cannot change. That's all he's saying, and he's completely correct.

15. because you still haven't explained how to change your genetic makeup. By the way chromosomes do differentiate men from women. Its taught in every science class in every school. You agreed with me until you changed your mind. Man/ women it would help your side if you didn't lower yourself to calling names. I haven't called you a name because your opinion is different. Opinions is what makes the world interesting. Unless you can explain to me how to change chromosome or DNA I'm sorry but a man stays a man, a woman a woman, a hermaphrodite a hermaphrodite. Except for physically. You have yet to show anything that can change that

16. #36 Carne Seca, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
    Among the Navajo and Apache its the same. They are different bands of the same tribe so they have a lot in common. I know that most tribes (among traditionals) have no issues with gay people. Each tribe, like language, has their own unique spiritual path. There are common themes like the number four being sacred. The four directions, four sacred colors, etc. etc.,

17. I'm not getting bent out of shape. I'm not offended in the slightest. I'm just saying that you are being disrespectful.

Also, chromosomes don't determine gender, that's just a fact (sex and gender are different things). They also really aren't the fundamental cause of sex differentiation, according to science:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3268825
    http://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

There are women that have XY chromosomes: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2190741/
    If what you think science says is correct, then people like that should not exist. If it's possible for women to have XY chromosomes, and it is, then it is simply incorrect to claim that chromosomes cause gender. That's just not how it works. And yes, hormone therapy (which for me is pills, not injections) does drastically change my biological sex and my physiology. The first link I posted explains why. Calling me "biologically male" makes no medical sense whatsoever and could actually lead to safety issues if I were treated as such in a medical setting. And no, the article you linked to doesn't even account for trans people, nor does it account for variations from the common chromosome configurations found in most (but not all) people, so it really doesn't contradict what I'm saying. Sorry, but you are wrong here. Theoretically, you could change my view, but the science is already on my side.

18. I've already explained the science, and cited my sources, explaining why he is wrong.

19. I always thought it was a bit queer that this is the only brain-related "condition" where the brain disagrees with reality and we try to resolve that disconnect by modifying reality instead of fixing what's broken in the brain.

20. you lowered yourself to calling me names, that leads me to believe your getting bent. As far as the comparison to tats and such. You proved my point for me. You say people need a sex change to feel comfortable in there own skin....I know people who need tats to feel comfortable. I was never too that point but personally im more comfortable with tats then without. Of course that's nothing like the woman I mentioned. She had to have those rats to be happy. Just like you did what you did to be happy. I don't live in the cookie cutter world you do. I see everyone has the right to their opinion. My opinion is that until chromosomes and DNA can be changed you stay your own gender. You can't voluntarily change either like you can voluntarily take a hormone shot or get your penis cut off. That's your choice. Science does use chromosomes to differentiate men from women. In my opinion I choose to believe the science behind that.