Making the switch

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by OCHydroponics, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Hello blades,
    I may have chatted with a few of you guys or even received some help from you great people on grasscity. You all can see my username but OC for short.
    Anyways, as my name says I've mostly grown hydroponically and was always convinced it was the way to go. I enjoy it but I'm looking forward to this organic switch. I've been reading the stickies on here as well as going through journals of a few well known people around here. Absorbing information where I can and finding ways to apply it in my endeavor.
    My current grow is in deep water culture but that will soon be done
    I've ran across a major seed issue after transplanting some clones in soil, into Hydro.
    My buds will be chopped and dried in 2 weeks.

I've got a bunch of nutrients by GH that I will no longer be using as well as pumps and hoses. I will be replacing my HPS bulb with a new 600 watt Eye Hortilux Super HPS, a new 4x4x6 tent, a lager Can Fan(320cfm) and a new 6 inch filter.
    I plan on running a few teens straight into 12/12 from a buddy and putting them into a 10 gallon smart pot. For my first soil mix I'll be doing 1 part FFOF 1 part EwC, and 1 part perlite top dressed with neem cake for the pests. I may do a few botanical teas but I will be trying a fulvic acid recipe as well
    This will be for the next 10 weeks or so after I get the cuts.

While all these take off I will be cooking my own soil. I am running to Oc farm supply in orange California to pick up all my ingredients

1/2 part Ewc (worm gold) I was told it comes with rock dust already incorporated
    1/2 part Malbu Compost
    1 part perlite
    1 part sphagnum peat moss
    1 cup kelp
    1/2 cup crab meal
    1 cup neem meal
    1 cup alfalfa meal
    1/2 cup gypsum

Per cubic foot
    I will let this sit for the life of the next flower run roughly 65 days before any plant will be in this mix. I'll keep it nice and moist outside while the neem keeps those pests away!

I'm excited as I've seen very nice results using organic soil and how effortless it can be.

And! For my excitement I will be doing a scrog for the first time ever!

Ill keep everyone posted
    I've ordered neem cake, should be here Sunday and I will pick up everything I need for my teens on Sunday!!

2. Welcome to the organic side! Hello! Hello! Former flood and drain lady here!

Check out BuildASoil blog for articles on how it all works! I used their recipe but don't purchase it from them. Where did you get your recipe from?

3. always good to see someone who joined the brighter side! Lol
    I devised that mix myself just by reading through the organic soil for beginners and speaking to people like LD, Jerry, Wak, CC, and mr S! I use to talk to people years ago (I'd say 2013 on another account when I lived in Arizona) on the forums as well and that's when I was just reading into organic growing for fun and never using it!
    I want to see how it turns out and improve from there
    Personally I feel it's a solid mix but who knows?
    Hope to see you around here! I plant on never looking back(assuming my girlfriend doesn't change her mind)
    LOL

4. #4 califlower, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
    Hey man! Nice to see some OC locs 'round here and welcome to organics. I've done aeroponics in the past and just started my first organic run about 3 weeks ago. I can't speak from experience yet but this path feels right in all the best ways. Best of luck on getting started! As much as i love Junior down there OC farm supply I honestly recommend sourcing ingredients elsewhere unless you're just looking for a quick one stop. IME I was able to get about 10-15 times as much product from online sources for only about 2-3 times the price... Delivered to your door... Not to mention most of the things you mentioned they only carry the down to earth brand, which is better than most but I feel there are better suppliers of the majority of the things you mentioned. Actually kruse feed and supply in la habra has both alfalfa and kelp in 50 lb bags which are both handy to have in ample supply

5. Thanks for the input! I am making it quick for my fox farm soil mix!
    I will be sourcing my custom soil ingredients elsewhere because I plan on having a nice batch cooking at all times
    I will definitely look into those places
    glad to know there are others around here with knowledge where to get stuff.
    I've been to nurseries and what not but most are pricey and I just haven't had time to do research online

On a side note
    I'm looking at some Bodhi seeds. Any strain recommendations?

6. try a livestock feed and supply store. they usually have the stuff I use in my mix in giant bags. ordering stuff that you have to purchase by the pound makes shipping expensive in most cases so looking within an hour or two drive sometimes will be much cheaper for gas than to pay for the conveinence of your door step. the most important thing you need to spend money on is your compost. you must find quality EWC from worms fed a good diet and not wood pulp. Coast of Maine (CoM) or Oly Fish Mountain compost are great. there's a sourcing amendments locally thread you can find info on for your state or try asking in one of the pinned sticky's.

7. Hi everyone!
    OC, you might check out Loki's jungle thread as he's got some really nice Bohdi plants-snow lotus, I think.
    Have a great day!

8. Awesome thank you for pointing me that way
    I was interested in seeing how that one plays out
    Castle marijuana seeds has some sunshine daydream I think it's called and nearly everywhere else is sold out
    I hear great things about it but I don't see any yield results

Sounds great! I have heard nothing but good things about coast of Maine but I haven't found it out here
    I will look into those stickies and see what I can find
    I'm actually going to start shopping around today so I may pick up some stuff today if I find what I'm looking for
    I appreciate your help! :)

9. Mixed up 30 gallons of FFOF, EWC that came with kelp and rock dust in the bag and perlite
    Picking up my red headed step sister and blueberry teens today
    I will be transplanting a Jack clone I have into one of these pots
    Setting up my Screen of Green right now

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436736930.975796.jpg

10. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436744634.227669.jpg

Ready to go in the flower tent tonight

Left is Jack Herer
    Top is Blue Berrry
    And bottom is Read Headed Step Sister
    High hopes for my first organic run
    Working on that Scrog but lost a piece I needed. I will improvise

If I mix up ewc, alfalfa and kelp and keep it moist for a few weeks would that be a nice top dress?

11. #11 ladyluckybean, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Yes but ff is fairly amended so hold off until the plants tell you that you need more. If you want to give them a boost, a kelp meal tea or SST would be better in the beginning than the top dress. All top dressings should have peat and aeration added. Looks good in here!

12. #12 OCHydroponics, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Yeah I figure maybe a month or so which is plenty of time to break down all those ingredients

I put about 15 handfuls of ewc and 1 cup or kelp and 1 cup alfalfa

Watered to keep it nice and moist and put it in a tote

I actually just received my neem seed meal, may add that to the top dress mixture as well to break down

Thanks! Hope you stick around! Any help is always appreciated

13. http://www.ocfarmsupply.com/
    OC,

I'm assuming by your username you're somewhere in Orange County, CA. If so, you might want to take a look at Orange County Farm Supply Store for your organic amendment needs. The G & B brand they carry is on par with Espoma and Dr. Earth products. I've used their Organic Tomato Vegetable and Herb Blend and their All Purpose Blend.

Another place to consider if you are indeed in SoCal is Agrowinn Fertilizers in Encinitas, CA. These folks have some top notch worm castings and carry rock dust and a full line of organic amendments. It can definitely save you some dough on shipping.

All the best,

Chunk

14. Love oc farm supply
    They have the ewc that you're talking about and that I will be using for my soil mix that I start in 2 weeks
    I'm also going to pick up some fulvic acid there
    Thank u for the response chunk
    You've helped before and continue to do so
    You are actually one of the blades that I've given time to read your posts because you're a wealth of information

I'm not sure how this mix will do but I feel my own mix I posted earlier made do better

15. All subbed in. Strapped in for the ride. Let's go!

16. Good to have you! Yesterday was the first day in 2 months not having to bend down and check on the ph Ppm temperature and water level
    So easy..
    No transplant shock like I thought
    They're loving their new homes

17. #17 OCHydroponics, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
    Anyone else have as much trouble as I do spending money on seeds?
    I've narrowed it down to a few strains from Bodhi but I'm looking for others to run as well and for the life of me, I'm stuck.
    Mother's Milk and Silver Mountain are already locked in
    What the hell should I choose next!!?

Castle marijuana seeds has a nice single seed stock. My favorite Seedbank yet people probably do not use it because they rarely offer freebies.

18. #18 OCHydroponics, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436916486.336636.jpg
    Whole bag of EWC and FFOF that I didn't use when I mixed the soil. My German Shepherd had a hay day. It must be revenge for leaving an inside dog outside. -_-
    Thank god he hasn't gotten the perlite in the back!

19. Checked the plants today
    Stuck my finger in the dirt and it's still moist
    Might water tomorrow, not sure just because I've never used these pots
    Shortest time I've been in the tent in months
    Love it so far!

20. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437011167.337575.jpg

Planted this Jack Herer cutting into the ground a week ago
    She's doubled in size since then
    Top dressed with 4 handfuls of EWC and 2 pinches of kelp meal
    No idea what's in this ground nutrition wise

I will use her as my mother to keep this strain in my tent
    I plan on taking a cut or 2 when she's in her first to second week of flower
    I love the branching that revegging a clone achieves