~Help me out Grasscity, first time grower here~

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SirSmokesAlotta420, Jul 10, 2015.

1. #1 SirSmokesAlotta420, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
    Hey guys I'm a first time grower and I just want to show you guys what I'm currently working with and try to bounce some ideas around and see what you experts in the field have to say.. So let's get started, first off the seeds are from an ounce of green crack I had a few weeks ago so that is the strain I'm currently working with.
    -box
    I built a box that's 20in deep and wide and 30in tall, it has both an intake and an exhaust fan in there and due to heat I normally leave the front doors open with an osicllating fan blowing more cool air inside to the box and the entire inside of the box is completely lined from top to bottom in Mylar from a emergency blanket I got at Walmart.
    -<span style="background-color: #c0504d;">lights<span class="redactor-invisible-space"></span></span>
    <span style="background-color: #c0504d;"><span class="redactor-invisible-space"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">I have a total of 8 lights inside of the box at the moment, I have 4x 6500k 100w equiv cfls, 3x 5500k and 1x 2600k cfl (my other 55k broke)</span></span></span>
    <span style="background-color: #c0504d;"><span class="redactor-invisible-space"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">- I have 2 8in clamp light reflectors with Y adapters and then I kind of rigged 4 of my 6500ks to 1 socket in a T shape ( I'm trying to add pics of everything but idk how to upload them) </span></span></span>
    -Soil
    <span style="background-color: #ffffff;">I was going to use Fox Farms Ocean Forest but the guy at my local hydroponics store recommended I go with a soil called Happy Frog. </span>
    <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"><span style="background-color: #b7dde8;">-Nutes</span></span>
    <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"><span style="background-color: #b7dde8;"><span class="redactor-invisible-space"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">- I was also going to go with fox farms nutrient trio or maybe even flora grow series but he once again suggested I used 5ml master pack from aurora innovations. </span></span></span></span>
    Ok so on with it, at the start of the grow I germinated in a cup of tap water till the seeds cracked, I then poured the cup of water between 2 paper towels till the sprouts were a good size and then transplanted into these jiffy peat moss pellets till they were big enough for the jiffy cardboard pot things that dissolve, and they stayed in there about 6 days and just yesterday I put all the big ones into 1 gallon pots. Today is now day 7 and to me they are looking good but I'm just a beginner.
    Please any help or input is appreciated a lot, I know I will also need to either make or buy a new set up for when they grow.. Let me know what you guys think I should go with as far as lights and size and what not.. My final set up will probably be in a closet or a grow box/tent in the room as long as it's not too too big lol. But yeah like 6 plants would be awesome

Attached Files:

2. I will continue to post here and ask questions as me and the plant progress lol and I'll keep you guys updated with pics probably at least once a week. 😎

3. anybody have anything for me lol? Also I've seen that I want my box or grow area to be light proof or whatever but if I were to close the doors of my box it would heat up to around 86 And that's hot I think especially for 6 day old plants.. There is an oscillating fan out side the box that blows more air inside so the temps stay at like 77 And that's were I want them. When will I add any Nutes? When I put my new soil in and then transplanted into the bigger 1gal pots I tested the run off water and the ph was at like 5.5 should I flush all the plants with ph 6.7 water and just keep watering them with my ph'd water of 6.7? I'm new to all of this guys so I have lots of questions until I get my hands dirty lol. I'm growing for personal use for medical reasons, I'm prior U.S. Army and I have all kinds of back,shoulder and hip problems from the years. Like I said before I would love like 6 females lol but I only have 8 going at the moment and my luck isn't that good but I'm crossing my fingers! Give me some input people :)

4. Hello, temps at 75 to 85 are ok for veg and seedling. U will need your humidity from 60 to 75%, Just make sure the air is always moving. CFL lights should about 4inches away. When in veg, feed when or if needed....but yes there still to young for feed. The ph is good at 6.5..6.7.
    There so young...I don't think u need to flush....stems are strong and tops are up...no need to mess with that.

5. Hello, temps at 75 to 85 are ok for veg and seedling. U will need your humidity from 60 to 75%, Just make sure the air is always moving. CFL lights should about 4inches away. When in veg, feed when or if needed....but yes there still to young for feed. The ph is good at 6.5..6.7.
    There so young...I don't think u need to flush....stems are strong and tops are up...no need to mess with that.

Hey trichuk, thnx for the reply! Anything else you might have to add? More lights? Is my soil or Nutes fine?

6. Well the lights are good for veg, but you'll need more 2700k bulb when u start to flower. The box u made for your seedling...is that for your entire grow? If so, you'll need a lot more room. Plus, just water ever 2 to 3 days.

7. how do I quote someone? I've clicked the quote button at least 100 times :/ but thanks for the reply again! And yes I will need to make or purchase a new grow box or tent. And about watering, do I always water till 30% drain off? I have 7 1gallon pots and that's a lot of RO or Distilled water to be using and having to ph each gallon is a pain in the ass lol. And when I transplanted and checked my run off ph it was at like 5.5 should i keep watering with like ph 7 water till my run off is between 6.5-6.7?

8. Your run off should be around 5.8 and the ph before you put it in should be around 6.5.

9. thanks again for the reply, I got some more pics of them now on day 7 and looking healthy! Only one of them has its second set of true leaves showing at the moment and the other 3 are coming in probably overnight. Am I on track here guys? I also have a plant at 5 days old and 2 at 3 days old so I'm hoping for at least one female out of the 4 week old ones lol I'm crossing my fingers but let me know what you guys think so far please

Attached Files:

10. bump, 2nd set of true leaves are really starting to come in! I plan on watering tomorrow, do I water till 30% drain off on all plants and then test the run off ph?? Really need to know how much to water using my soil it seems to hold moisture pretty well.

11. #11 Trichuk, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
    So u flushed them...don't worry about the run off right now. As long as you flushed them and let the dry for few day then your fine. Make sure you ph your water at 6.5 before u water. As for how much water to give each plant..well you don't need to drench them, just make they all get a little water. Your in there everyday right? So trust yourself...do u like to be over watered? Lol there just babies...maybe a 1/4 cup per plant. Your soil looks very wet still? Are u sure they need water? Do the finger test...put your finger in the soil up to your first knuckle and see if it's wet, moist or dry. That's why I like to use coco and vermiculite, it holds moisture and it's very airy.

13. also I don't think I've ever flushed them?? Isn't a flush putting twice the amount of water through as the pot size? I've just transplanted once and watered to run off and tested that's ph at like 5.3ish the soil is still moist even close to the top and I'm pretty sure my soil has those in it.

14. Ok I'm guessing you don't have a green thumb.
    Yes that's what a flush is...but I said don't worry to much about the flush. Don't worry to much about the run off. You need to worry about the temps you have in the room and the amount of air flow you have. You also need to listen!
    I think your thinking to much and not listening to the plants.
    Yes your plants are nice and green and this is a very critical time for your plants.

15. Your soil has perlite in it not vermiculite...and u don't have that much of it mixed in, u could use more. Perlite adds much needed air and drainage, vermiculite holds moisture. U don't need vermiculite with soil.

16. no I do not have a green thumb, this is my first grow of anything. Now with that being said I do always research and read before I dabble into anything and every single thing I've read about flushing your plants is nothing compared to anything I've done to them.. they are in one gallon pots and I haven't even ran a half gallon of water through them.. correct me if I'm wrong but a flush is to prevent nute lock and to get rid of the build up of salts or whatever aswell. And a flush is putting 2 gallons of water through a 1 gallon pot.. I've only normally watered only the day I transplanted.

17. also my Temps and airflow seem to be fine.. (kinda makes me wonder if you have looked at any pics what so ever) I sit normally at 78 degrees and I have an intake inside the box giving them fresh breeze and an ossilating fan outside blowing more air in.

18. Yes, that's what a flush is...but u shouldn't be using nutes yet. The only thing you should be using is ph'ed water. Your going to need to transplant again in to 3 or 5 gallon pot in a week or so.
    When using so much water on a seedling you can induce rot...and I'm saying that because your grow room is so small and your medium is so dense. I'm trying to help you, based on how your setup is...not based on some guy on the Internet with a 15 foot square room.

19. Lmao..ok good luck to you

20. They look good. Personally I don't like that many water droplets all over the leaf's because they amplify the light and make them more susceptible to light burns, however I don't think this will be an issue with cfls. Another commenter noted the box is too small. I concur. Unless your growing an uber small dwarf auto your going to need more room eventually. I understand and appreciate the idea of saving money but sometimes you can go too cheap. I would build a bigger box, grow outside, or buy a small grow tent off amazon for less then $100 shipped to your door.

Again, they're looking good, keep it up, and best of luck