Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 646086, Jul 8, 2015.

1. I want to get my massive underbite fixed

2. whatever gets you through the day right ?

3. If I was immortal and got paid for my looks, I'd get plastic surgery, liposuction, stomach staples, tanning booths and hair implants. But one day I shall die and all that money spent and all that work will get eaten by maggots. This is the way God made me, this is the way I am. Fuck it.

4. I had a long post written and my browser crashed (grumbles and swears).

I'm not against plastic surgery, I'm against the myth of perfection that the beauty industry tries to sell us. The industry targets our flaws and manipulates us into thinking we are not good enough because we're not buying what they are selling (a face cream, a lipstick or a dangerous and expensive procedure).

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look your best and using products (or even procedures, albeit sparingly). Although I gave up trying to be perfect a long time ago and settled on looking my best instead. I'll take "my best" over perfect or flawless any day. Perfection is a myth that cannot be satisfied and sets us up for failure.

I think self-acceptance and perspective are key. For example, if I don't like the way my legs look, I can think of all the ways my legs are useful and get me around. I can walk from point A to point B. I can travel up and down stairs. I can dance. Is all of this negated because my legs don't look like Tina Turner's?

Also on perspective: I think often when I obsess over some imperfection of mine, I'll get some reality slap that really shows me how insignificant said flaw really is, then I feel a bit foolish.

5. #25 Deleted member 646086, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    I agree that we are our own worse critics. I just think the average person is shallow, pretty weak and looking for acceptance (kinda like high school students) from what I've experienced anyways. You can always use the knowledge that people are shallow to your advantage. If you consider yourself an average looking guy or girl for example, you could dress well and wear designer clothes in order to impress shallow people and get them on your side. See what I mean, we wear clothes and get braces and brush our hair in the morning for all these reasons.

6. ive had a kind of cosmetic surgery. i was born with a bump on the back/side of my head and had an operation to make it smaller when i was a baby. then i grew up with a smaller bump on the back and side of my head but still noticeable. i had an operation to make it smaller again when i was 19 and it was purely cosmetic no other reason

7. Just Look at Renée Zellweger Before and After photos and there is your answer.

8. What if this surgery will improve your sex/love life with your partner as well as with yourself?

9. I don't think anybody spends 20k on a car just "to get from point A to point B"
    I don't think one should get plastic surgery just to make oneself more attractive. Quite often you end up uglier than you started, and as you age you're gonna need some touch-up work on those parts that don't grow with your body.

Just ask yourself if a procedure would make you feel better, or do you want to do it because "I think other people would feel _____ about it"
    Why do you want this change? What do you plan to accomplish by this change? How would changing this change my life (daily/work?/self confidence?)

10. You're a goat, nobody cares about your underbite. It's a bit cute.

11. Isn't that the point with cosmetic plastic surgery? To fix your own perceived flaws? I mean most people are doing it to look more attractive in general. Also, you can't assume this person was unattractive or "ugly" as you seem to call it off the bat. Some do minor changes some do big, it all depends.
    I think for most, people do these procedures because not only will they feel better, but also because they want other people to notice their changes and see improvement. In all honesty, It's hard to believe anyone would consider a cosmetic surgery just for themselves. They want changes because somewhere / something was made to believe that what they have is considered either: not enough or lacking beauty/ whatever. Pretty sure an isolated person would care less about changes to themselves unless they were vomiting at the sight of the mirror.

Also, I was interested in this as a philosophical topic. This comment sounds like a direct therapy session or something.

12. My point was simply do it for you. I, and I'm sure you, know at least a few people who did something drastic "thinking" it would please someone else

13. Ultimately it's up to the individual to do whatever they want to their body. I don't personally care for women with plastic surgery but that's just me. Probably because their personality is usually superficial to match.

14. #34 Deleted member 646086, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    It can be more insecurity than superficial in some cases. Like people who have an under/overbite and get braces, is that superficial ? Think we all have a bit of vanity within us no matter how we deny it, acting on it doesn't make you a full-blown fake person, it's not so black and white.

15. if you even read my post, you'd notice that I was pointing out minor surgeries as well

16. I think lots of people just do it to look good to themselves...I would like to get sleeve tattoos because I think they would look cool on me but they're so played out now it's llike meh but I still probably would if I could

17. #37 432, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
    Sorry too be honest i just read the first sentence didn't think I'll need to read the rest [​IMG]

I agree with Pickledpie anyway pretty much covered it.

18. A for effort

19. I don't really have any problem with plastic surgery. Not directly, at least.

My only issue is that people are taught to be overly self conscious of their appearance. This drives people to wanting cosmetic surgery when they might otherwise have never wanted it.

20. I don't see the problem with it, it really makes some people look a lot more attractive (look at all the kpop stars who had plastic surgery and now look like supermodels)