Second time grower with lots of problems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ledhead0014, Jul 8, 2015.

1. I had some luck last year with some clones this year I decided to try to go from seed.

Medium:

about 60 percent harvest organic potting soil

25 percent perlite

15 percent manure/compost

Environment: outdoors, Midwest climate, lots of rain this year so far though

I am unable to start seedlings inside in a safe area so I have been outside with a cage around them. Even with the cage they somehow got eaten not entirely consumed but chopped into pieces. This is happened to about $100 worth of seeds.

As for the survivors there is only one decent one which you will see below it is a blue cheese feminized and ready to top.

I have a few of the chopped seedlings left in one of the pictures below I know all of them will probably die but the one with one leaf remaining is a green crack who looks like she will be able to grow but won't produce much because of her deformity. The one that looks very short was actually one that was completely chopped in half and I put the remaining top half back into the soil as an experiment. The other two of these poor girls had the tops bitten off and now they are sitting there headless. My question is with the the first two girls I mentioned: what will happen to them?

Note I have a few other plant questions that have not gotten answered on the big sick plant forum so I am going this route. Sorry if that pisses people off but I am going to put a reply with one plant and one question in each post to keep things organized.

Anyones help with these issues is greatly appreciated. I have worked very hard and spent a lot of money this year and only have one decent plan to show for it. It's very sad and I hope grasscity forums can come through again. You guys helped me so much last year I hope you can do the same . Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Here is my blackberry Kush.

This poor girl is about a month old and is only a few inches tall. She has been getting plenty of Sun so I think it's a root problem. Her stem is completely red which I have heard is because of a nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency, so before I added some Dyna Gro foliage liquid fertilizer that I planned on buying soon I was going to ask you guys if it was safe to add nutes to this girl because she is so young or do you think its an issue with the roots that I can fix.

I poke some holes with a screwdriver into the soil a few days ago but I'm not sure how quick it supposed to work it has been raining but I covered the plant with clear plastic wrap knowing that more rain means drowning roots so by looking at her what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

3. Since the one leaf Green Crack lost the growing tip, it may just sit in a holding pattern and not grow anymore. There is a possibility of a new growth tip developing where the leaf petiole joins the broken stem, but I wouldn't get my hopes up

The broken top that you stuck in the ground might produce roots and grow as a new plant. But if it gets direct sunshine it will wilt and die.

Potting soil with added manure/compost should have plenty of nitrogen, so that's not the problem. The plants look over-watered and need their roots to dry out a little and breathe.

4. Here is the critical super silver haze. My guess is that it's an indoor seed but I put her in the sun. She seems to have quit growing and this was right after I added too much neem oil (I did it everyday to treat them for mildew, instead of every few days).

It still looks like she's burned somewhat but I'm not sure if it's a neem oil burn still or a nutrient burn. I haven't applied neem to her for weeks and she still looks like this. I poked holes in the soil with a screwdriver but this probably isn't a root issue but I'm wrong about everything in life so that's why I'm here. What you think? Should I flush this girl?

Attached Files:

5. So if the liberty haze (the one where I put the top half in the ground) can't be in direct sunlight then should I put it in a more shady spot or in a greenhouse environment for now?

6. Here is my old green crack that looks horrible. I'm embaressed to say how old it is. When it was a seedling it didn't get enough sun so that's why it's so tall before any nodes. I decided to do some low stress training on it and that's where we are at this point. It should be getting plenty of Sun now but it can't get any more taller. What u think?

Attached Files:

7. what kind of compost are you using? it seems like its a soil issue. if youre trying to go organic don't skimp on the humus.

8. Yeah, it looks like your growing in mud.

9. I used these but with the green crack I covered the top with about and inch of dirt that's why it looks like it's in mud.

Attached Files:

10. #10 ledhead0014, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    And when I topped the blue cheese I accidentally cut one of the sides off. is this ok?

Attached Files:

11. I am going to flush this baby tonight. If you guys think any different I hope you let me know before tonight

12. This is the Silver Haze that I thought was a nutrient burn but a 4 gallon flush twice is actually making it look worse so is this a root problem? Or should I cover it with plastic to keep it being rainedon so the soil can dry out?

13. Here it is

Attached Files:

14. t
    the problem you have is the medium that you are growing in is no good. no amount of flushing( which is completely counter-productive in organics) or anything that you try and add is going to help. you need to start over and get rid of those inferior products and make a mix that is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 good thermal compost or a local earthworm compost( you are going to have find a local source or make your own). then you are going to have to add a nutrient source of your own. look up coots mix or find one on the internet that looks good. until you do this your plants will continue to struggle as you chase your tail.

15. So if I use the premixed potting mix and some perlite that won't be good enough? I just got some dynagrow and will be adding it to the one doing well. I just heard that with young plants you don't need nutes except for some basic soil. I also have some autoflower that I will be starting but supposedly you are supposed to start it in the same container in which it will finish. But how can u do that if I have to have nutes in the soil to begin with?
    And another wierd thing is that the only plant doing well doesn't contain perlite but it I used lava rocks instead.

16. This is the blue cheese that has been having a mildew problem. Now it seems to be bugs. I have hung up some fly tape and been applying neem oil every two days. I currently cannot move the plants to another location. The leaf I took a pic of has a spider Web thing on it so I removed it. There is also a pic of where I cut off the leaf on the plant. Could I have cut this off right to where it would grow back or did o lose it forevrr?

Attached Files:

17. And guys I know i have a lot of questions and many of them are unanswered on the first page but ant help at all is appreciated. I really would like to have a yield this year. Way too much work to be wasted. I would be crushed

18. #18 Trichuk, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
    Man I'm not going to lie to u...your plants look like hell. They are not happy at all.

It looks like you might have spider mites on the one with the web on it or a Catapillar is eating it.
    In every picture you have that you show the plants in, the stem is yellowing with the leaves. Plants look like there just holding on to life. Can I ask u a questions... Were you prepared to grow before you started? Did you do any reading about the basics of growing plants and the types of media u can use. If you have that much rain in your area the best thing you can put your plants in is Coco.

19. I had a very good spot picked out and had about half of them there and they were doing good. Then coons or something literally ravaged through them all and killed two of my best looking plants. I left the remaining ones there with a cage around them and the same thing happened again.

So I had to remove the remaining plants that were left after the second attack to this spot which is like a little hole cut out of the woods (which I cut a lot of trees myself) gets plenty of Sun but I think lack of wind is a problem. I have most of them in buckets so I can move them all but the blue cheese which is the one doing the best. She will be so stinky that I can't move her to the other safe spot I have picked. I said I couldn't move them at all earlier because it is risky and I didn't want to but now I guess I have to lol.

But the green crack is improving a bit. Il take pics tonight.

I have done a lot of research and lots of work though. I have planned since last summer. But I guess I don't understand why the medium is wrong. It's an organic potting soil (some have the same brand but it's potting mix not soil) with about 35 to 45 percent perlite and manure. I was going to add more nutes later in the vegetative stage.

20. I have the Dyna grow for the vegetative stage but will only add it to the green crack and blue cheese for now. Not the sick girls