First ever grow... main line attempt take one

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DDom, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hey you seed is doing great if you are gonna put a small light on a plant keep it as close as possible to the plant so they do stretch to the light nothing wrong with putting a seed in a solo cup they don't need a dome only clones need a dome. Keep up the good work

2. Get your soul mixture ready for the up potting. It will be time soon in a couple days.

3. #43 DDom, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
    It blew up... then kinda stopped. Not sure on the reasoning yet, I doubt it's root bound. I'm thinking it is telling me the nutrients in the soil are depleted. My lower fan leaves are just starting to show a tiny bit less green than the rest. The cotyledon are completely yellow. I'm leaning towards nitrogen deficiency. I'm gonna do a super light foiler spray tonight. And repot probably 48 hours from now after it is getting better. cotyledons

4. Are you checking the ph before you water

5. no, it was RO water, so was not worried

6. let the problems begin... I'm leaning towards nitrogen deficiency still. I gave it a very light feeding with some FF boomerang. Helped a tiny bit but now I'm worried to transplant because of stressing the hell out of it.

Attached Files:

7. The soil looks dry and to me it looks like it just needs to be transplanted

8. The don't require a lot of food at this stage but it's a good time to start

9. Hey DD, been catching up. I have a few ideas for ya.

Something I was told that helped a ton when I started. Fill a solo cup with soil only, add NO water ever. This way you can lift a cup with dry soil and the cup with the plant to see if it needs water or not. Remember, that plant at this point has no weight to it, so it's an easy way to see how saturated the soil is. When to two cups feel the same weight, then water it not before. They bounce back from no water better than over watering.

As for the yellowing, I'm going to guess you used Miracle Grow or some soil that has preloaded nutes? That could be the cause of the yellowing. The problem with preloaded soil is you never know when the nutes will be released of how much is actually being released. My first plant was with MG, it's all a learning curve.

Subbed up!

10. Hello to OP and the Helping crowd.

OP dropped a link on UltraDan's thread so I thought I would stop by and see what's going down. While I was reading the post I just wanted to say props to Helion for giving lots of sound advice before everyone else showed up. Now that a few other blades are here and checking things out, Im sure OP will be a good hands.

Sorry DD, I don't have the experience yet to offer the words of wisom these others have, but you can tell you are in real good hands now.

The support from the GC community is why I spend most every night here at this forum. Hats off to all of you.

Cheers,
    Linux

11. I just watered it about 36 hours before that pic. I'm trying really hard to not over water.

12. Guess I don't know how to quote here... but no nutes till last night, and they were light... 2-.2-.3

Probably 1/8 strength, and just a little.
    soil was fox farms ocean forest, probably 30-40%... and Dr earth seedling mix.

I don't know much... but I do know no MG

13. And love the dry solo cup idea

14. Get a pH meter and pH control solutions and pH paper. Check the pH of the water you are adding. Just because RO has low PPM doesn't mean the pH is on point. pH that is too high or low WILL cause nitrogen deficiency. Collect the run off water from the cup. pH that. That is what the soil pH is (approximately). If its too low, you have to raise the pH of the water you are using until the run off sits at 6.5-6.7. If its too high than do the opposite until your RUN OFF is 6.5-6.7. You NEED a pH meter and pH paper and pH up and down solutions. Also pH calibration solutions to make sure your meter is on point at all times. I know it seems like a bunch of money but its not. You can get everything for about 50 bucks...

15. I hit like 10 times... but only one showed up... I'm on it... but it has to wait a day or 2. Do I have that much time?

16. I mean you should be fine... but my tap water was like 8 fucking pH man.. a filter wont do much to fix the pH. that tap water made my seedlings stop growing at their second set of adult leaves. They never made it past babies. I DO NOT want you to suffer the same fate

17. btw the pH control solutions are the pH up and pH down bottles. they should be blue and orange bottles from general hydro. you put a tiny spec of a drop to bring your pH to the desired level.

18. Maybe I'll hit up Walmart after work just so I know how bad it is

19. First water or 2 was with tap water, thinking the stuff may be benifitial (no chlorine in it, no fluoride)

It may be the RO water that is worse... I need to check it

20. there you go mate, eliminate each variable to find the problem