Deformed new growth

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by denverbudmaster, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Plants are 3 months old, outside in newly built greenhouse in coco/perlite (50/50). Plants were under T5 for first two months then put outside and planted in 30 gallon pots from 1 gallon pot and fed with water from water softener (350PPM) for three weeks and plant food before realizing this is not good. Started noticing fan leaves turning lime green so I flushed with well water with 40 ppm. Got the PPM's coming out down to 100PPM. The next day it got very hot in the greenhouse and all of the new leaf growth rolled up into tacos. I started using RO water after the water softener and PPM is down to 10PPM. After one week I pruned off the leaves that were rolled up as they did not repair themselves and growth has been stunted. Plants have not been drinking and pots are very heavy. I took one of the plants out of the pot to investigate the soil and found it to be very soggy so I transplanted into new pots yesterday. I'm seeing new growth but it is deformed - rolled up and twisting. I brought in new plants and they did same thing within 2 days and only watered them once with RO water. They also experienced some extreme heat in the greenhouse. The older leaves and plant seems healthy and stout. PH of feed/water is 6.0 in and out and have been feeding low doses of food around 400PPM.

Could the water be bad after the RO filter?

Anyone seen this type of issue with new growth?
    Will they pull through?

Attached Files:

2. #2 Baked Bread Baker, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
    Looks like heat stress

3. I started using a 30x magnifier and am noticing small round clear and white spots on the leaves. Not sure if they are mite eggs or if they are trichomes on the leaves. Not the best photo thru my magnifier but what I got. New growth still deformed and shriveled. How long to come out of heat stress? It's been over 1 week now. Not seeing any mites or webs to the naked eye and looked with 30x magnifier on leaves.

4. Heat stress, over watering, roots will be shagged in a week if it stays soggy, id almost start from scratch, the whole top new growth is rooted... and you have just kept making adjustments... Leave it be for 3 days and see if it recovers, if not, shes dead jim.

5. It's been 8 days already and new growth still deformed. I transplanted yesterday due to the fact that the soil wasn't getting dry and found the bottom of the pot to be soggy. Now worried about potential Broad Mite as I read and saw similar looking plant here: http://pogenetics.com/?page_id=389

6. Funny thing is plant larger leaves and stem look super healthy and are sturdy. It's just showing up in the younger leaves and new growth. Researching Cyclamen Mites as a possibility.

7. Found spider mites and their eggs today using 30x scope. I think this in addition to heat stress and soggy root zone is my problem.