having anxiety while smoking, help?

Discussion in 'General' started by 5tudio716, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Alright here is the situation im 21 been smoking since 14 i use to be able to smoke nonstop blunts, bongs, bowls, joints etc.
    in 2014 i went to jail for a month because i dropped out of drug court( i got charges when i was 17 failed probation drug tests and giving me one more chance to stay out of jail they signed me up for drug court) anyways i did my time became a free man again and you guessed it started smoking again i was obviously a lightweight from not smoking in so long but i could still smoke till i dropped, but recently (past 4-5 months) i have been getting strange anxiety/panic attacks whenever i smoke, im talking 4 hits off a bowl and i think im dying, if i try to smoke a blunt im on the couch head in my arms telling myself i'll never smoke again, i dont understand what is happening shortness of breath, tunnel vision, feeling like im going to die and obviously i cannot go to a doctor and tell him i have issues while smoking weed so i turn to you grasscity community for answers/help/anything because i smoke to relax now and i cannot relax while freaking out, pleeeease anything would be helpful and if it matter i DO smoke cigarettes aswell, please get back to me on this

2. Do you have any of these symptoms when you are sober?

3. not at all! im not on any prescriptions nothing and this literally only started happening like i said 4-5 months ago

4. blunts may be too harsh, try smoking spliffs or roll joints with different herbs such as mint, shredded ginger etc.

5. If 716 is your location, I have the likely answer. There's way too much sour d floating around here and it most definitely causes anxiety and panic attacks. Try to find some indica.

6. I get anxiety from smoking too. Pretty much everything you mentioned has happened to me from smoking.

I used to smoke a ton, but my usage decreased over the past couple years because I would always get anxiety/panic attacks.
    It's shitty because I still want to enjoy herb. No wonder I'm still sittin' on an 1/8th from 2 months ago.

Best of luck, bro.

7. Same.

Either smoke way less, only in situations where you know you are comfortable, or not at all. It ain't for everyone.

Although I haven't tried eating it since I stopped smoking much. I wonder how that would work.

8. From my Experience... Cannabis seems to have an Amplification Effect on ones body/mind.

If you are an Anxious then you are possibly going to get more anxious when you smoke. Unless you find the right strain that specifically targets Anxiety. I hear Jack herer, C99, Strawberry cough are some good ones for Anxiety.

Anyway as i was saying when i smoke it seems to make me become well more aware of everything, My senses are heightened also me emotions, feelings, thoughts and so on.

Though sometimes its depending on the strain, However your mood before smoking will have a big impact in the effect after getting high.

From what you said maybe you have some trauma locked deep in your subconscious that's effecting you this way as when you get high you are more connected to the Spiritual/Higher/Superconscious self if you will.

Maybe try daily meditation or try do new things everyday, Things that make you feel comfortable and happy, That bring you peace and joy and will to live. Eventually them new/memories/thoughts will replace the old dark ones that could also be the result of your Anxiety.

Sometimes i would smoke and get high with not a care in the world, Feeling amazing and free. Another time i would have a enhanced anxious/negative thoughts when i would never care about these thoughts when i'm sober.

So there's many ways you can put it, You just have to find a balance within yourself and find what works best for you.

9. Oo

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I'm in the same boat, I stopped smoking for several years and when I started back up recently, I get super anxious and lots of anxiety. I grew a few different strains, some indica and some sativa. I noticed that whenever I smoke the sativa I get the anxiety attacks and when I smoke the indica I feel great. Like the above posters said, go find yourself some indica- grape ape and purple kush are my best buds

11. #11 JewishVolcano, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
    I know exactly what you're talking about and experienced it roughly a hundred times. Let me ask you though - how about just stopping to freak out? Have you previously ever experienced being panicked about death or some major/minor harm and then being like 'fuck it. it happens then it happens' and stopping to freak out?

How come you're not just stopping? You better listen to yourself for answers not to an external advice.

12. Maybe trying a strain with a lower thc rate will help. I had a few anxiety disorders growing up so I had to experiment until I found the strains that suited me the best.

13. much appreciation to everyone that has replied, sorry i haven't been on the forums in a minute i've read all your replies and thank everyone for taking the time to put in some input, i stopped smoking again for a little while then just about a week ago started back with some mids, i haven't had a issue thus far, jewish volcano you said basically what i told myself after posting this and i recommend that to anyone else with the problem, also i found that focusing on something like TV show/videogame/music helps if anything changes for me ill let you all know and once again thankyou all for the input

14. This, its a manifestation of real world anxiety. You can't escape with mj you have to deal with the anxiety outside of smoking.

15. You're associating bad things with smoking marijuana. It's bringing out you anxiety, try and separate the two in your mind. Smoke little amounts too, don't over do it at once.

16. Have a break man, eat a bit better and drink more water for a month or so, organise your shit and try smoking again, I bet you'll be fine.

17. think of it this way- anxiety while high can teach you a lesson. it inherently makes you appreciate things when you are calm, so you can be more thankful in general.

honestly i don't think weed can create anxiety if you weren't already anxious deep down. i feel the same for all drugs, i just dont logically see how its possible. its like perception in general, how can you perceive something you have no experience of?

anyways thats good you are doing better now. i get anxious if i smoke too much but i deal with it when it happens a lot better. it's all about a spiritual stillness, knowing that everything will be okay. something that helps me is logic. i mean, you are high, and there are NO SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE SIDES to it.

ofc the anxious reaction is primal so it's a lot harder of a habit to break with logic. like trying to keep your boner down when you see an attractive mate, they're some of the most important instincts that have evolved

18. this happened to me, i used to smoke like a chimney then all of a sudden i got an anixety attack (panic attack?) i thought my bud was laced then i realized i was at a bad time in life, feeling down and depressed and lost.

i barely smoke anymore only sometimes. i used to smoke every single day for 3 years

19. I used to smoke like it was air.. had a traumatic experience about a decade ago and soon after i had my first full blown panic attack, i notice my anxiety gets worse when im smoking sativa strains.. indica is where its at for me as well as smoking in nature with a view.. though indica vs sativa is not what i would blame singularly but a sativa may amplify anxiety within yourself as it does for me.. find your peace and youll live more than you ever have

20. I had this happen as well after months of probation. I used to be able to smoke all day every day. Recently I have overcome this feeling of anxiety.

The steps I took to overcome this was telling myself it's all in my head. Once I trained myself to be aware that this shortness or breath and etc was anxiety, It gradually went away.

Now, I am still not back up to my earlier tolerence but I am workin on it. Just work on smoking overtime rather than all at once.

Happy Toking my man. Hope all goes well.