First Time Grow SSH

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by KingBud_420, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Hello to everyone! As stated, this will be my first grow. I've been doing some research for at least 2 months now and I'm a couple weeks away from germing. I'll be leaving the state for a couple days so I'm gonna wait till I get back to give this lady my full attention. I figured it's time to post a journal and take any worthy advice and incorporate it into my game plan.

I'll be building a small box, 2'x2'x4' tall. I plan on growing one plant, Super Silver Haze, and I'll be using CFL's. I am in the process of putting together all of the items.
    I'll be growing in a 3 gal pot, using 1-2 cpu fans, and carbon filters. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436037833.054839.jpg
    I made this light set up, which can hold 4 CFL's or 8 if I use a socket adapter. The bulbs I have now are 23w/100w for a total of 92 actual watts. Should I run 8 instead? That would give me 184 actual watts. I've read between 100-150, so I'm either above or below...which would be better?

I'll probably use Fox Farms soil with some perlite and add nutes as needed. I plan on growing her wide rather than tall, so I'll be LST'ng as time goes on.

As I get closer I'll ask more questions and I'm always willing to answer as I go. Thanks ahead for any advice and I can't wait to get started!

2. Sorry to bump this, just need some info on the light choices in my original post.

3. Hey there KingBud!

Damn dude, did you fab that light holder yourself? Looks great!

Too start you could definitely get away with 92W. I made a CFL hood that doesn't look nearly as professional as yours, I loaded it with 10 26w CFLs, and that thing was bomb. I loved growing under it, so personally I would start with 4 and then switch to 8 total.

I would use six 6500k CFLs and 2 2700k CFLs for Veg and the exact opposite for flower. That way your plants are getting both the light spectrums they need.

As far as soil goes, FoxFarm will be good. I use to run 35% FF Happy Frog / 35% FF Ocean Forest / 30% Perlite, and my plants seemed to like it. I also added a tbsp of Dolomite Lime to every gallon of that mix I had. I used the FoxFarm Liquid Trio and the Water-Soluble Trio (Boosters), I liked them.

LST is a great idea for your space, the more even your canopy is the more light will be able to get to your buds which means the fatter and frostier they will be!

I am subbed, and will be along for the ride man! Feel free to ask any questions, if you really need my attention feel free to drop questions and pictures in my thread (Link in my signature) or send me a Private Message.

4. Thanks so much for the reply, super helpful. Yea I did make the light holder, I work in a machine shop so I have some advantage there lol. I made some changes to the light, but it's out of aluminum so the weight is minimal. Thanks for the props though!

I like the light choices you provided, I plan on getting some socket adapters so I can run 8 of the CFL's, and I like your idea of combining the spectrums. Helpful tip.

Good soil tips too, that's the one area I don't wanna skimp and pay for it later. Thanks for subbing too, as I'll need the help I'm sure. I'll keep this thread posted as I'll be building my box in the next week or so and making a trial run to gauge temps/humidity.

5. Right on dude. More than happy to help!

I'll definitely be around, I usually keep up to date on all the threads I'm subscribed too, especially if I am doling out info.

A few more things to keep in mind, you'll need to get a PH Pen and PH Up & Down so you can adjust your feedings to a PH of 6.5-6.8 and keep your soil happy.

What are you planning to make your box out of?

6. That question I've debated for a while, but I'm planning on keeping it basic and go with some OSB board I got from work. It's new and free so it should work for me. I'm going to seal it and line it with Mylar. Smell is a big can't do for me so I will be doing carbon filters to help.

Once we move outta here I'll step up to a bigger setup.

7. If I just used the FFOF, what would you recommend as far as portions mixed with perlite? Would I also use the Dolomite lime?

8. Replied too your PM man, hope that answered your questions! :)

9. Sup peeps. Got a little bit done on the grow prep. Got my light fixture together. Think it turned out pretty good. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436649875.978365.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436649893.657555.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436649906.541431.jpg

More to come soon as I wait for more stuff to arrive.

10. Alright, been running tests on my box to see temps. Have to grab another fan and another ac adapter. Then we should be ready to start germ'n.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1439258900.460728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1439258867.042899.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1439258884.641209.jpg

11. So I changed up the light setup for a much better design. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441753071.652752.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441753100.634717.jpg

I'm grabbing 2 more 6500k's today. Started germ'ing on Friday evening and I got a sprout today.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441753170.703757.jpg

So all things are moving well. Faster than I anticipated, but for now it all seems good.

12. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441845586.908288.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1441845606.209434.jpg

Everything coming in nicely so far.

13. Day 6 and she's coming along nicely.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442080671.023935.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442080692.639213.jpg

14. 13 days in... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442681492.101931.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442681508.281802.jpg

Also made a little bowl at work lol
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442681540.470222.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442681554.487986.jpg

15. 2 weeks in... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442761414.500670.jpg

Everything look alright?

16. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442761641.486944.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442761670.308094.jpg

Wondering...is she good? Though she looked a little droopy, but not sure.

17. Yo buddy!!!

Sorry I haven't been around man, things are getting pretty hectic in my life currently... Almost to the calm after the storm though!

I think your little ladies look good man, Although you might consider wrapping those clear cups in duct tape or something, or up-potting those girls in to black pots. Light isn't good for the roots, they like darkness. Other than that everything looks fine to me, I have had seedlings with a slight droopiness, if anything make sure you are waiting for the soil to dry before watering and they will grow out of it!

Keep up the good work buddy :)

18. Thank you sir! Thanks for taking some time man. I literally wrapped the cups about an hour ago lol. Thanks for the advice. I was planning on waiting on watering. As of now it's been about every 4 days and I think that's a bit too much. Gonna slow it down a little but I feel better hearing you more or less confirm my suspicions lol. Thanks again brotha!!

19. #20 Iwannagethigh780, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
    hey man your grow is looking good so far. I am a new grower started with ssh from cropkingseeds where did you get yours? Also whats your height for growth with the pot plant and light all in there ? I lstd the shit out of mine and some nodes are still 2 1/2 feet anyways im along for the ride too bud [​IMG]