Morally Right But Legally Wrong.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by DarkSide Of TheMoon, Jul 4, 2015.

1. #1 DarkSide Of TheMoon, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
    Morally RIGHT, but legally WRONG.
    Morally WRONG, but legally
    RIGHT.

When laws are ethically wrong, what do YOU do about it?
    Do you always follow what you know and feel is the right thing to do even when the law says otherwise?

Would you ever ignore your moral compass just to avoid breaking laws?

Bottom line is what's more important and why,
    What's RIGHT or what's Legal?

2. Isn't morality subjective?

Are laws subjective?

I feel its all irrelevent because I am free.

No law can restrict me unless someone can enforce it.

No law can force me to do something amoral, unless they can enforce it

-yuri

3. You simply can't legislate morality and everyone's idea of "right" and "wrong" isn't the same. I think you have to satisfy yourself. After all, it's the man in the mirror that looks back at you that you have to live with on a daily basis. Since the laws against MJ were born totally out of paranoia, fear and ignorance and really shouldn't be the way they are, I choose to try to skirt them at this point with the hope that shortly down the line I will see these laws change. But that's just me. TWW

4. I don't give a fuck. morally right to smoke personally, though it's legally wrong i still do it. everyone shud have the freedom to do everything they want as long as no one else is hurt in the process

5. is this that Divine-something guy?

6. no, this one is coherent

7. #7 yurigadaisukida, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
    Edit= Wait no this is probly divine victory

8. I do not allow myself to fall subject to legal morality as it's a filtered version of morality to fit the masses. I would happily break an unjust law and feel obligated to do it. I'm not trying to go to jail but i will advocate the breaking of a law if i feel it is morally wrong. Remember law and politics is just the art of control, through each of us we filter our morality and make a social agreement to adhere to these things we all feel is right. It's our job to change the law as much as it is to follow it because we are the ones who laws are for. By compromising your morality to fit legality you become evil as opposed to being bad by compromising your legality for your morality. So to speak....

9. Thanks for your reply Ambivalent Stone!!
    Very well put and I feel the same.
    Others seemed to misunderstand the point of my question..
    Internet high five to you, thanks!

10. Laws are above morals now days

11. There's clearly something wrong when drug users are doing more time then child molesters/ rapists/ kidnappers. especially soft drugs such as marijuana and psychedelics.

12. I like this quote
    a (1).jpg

13. urine deep shit now. legislative authority,,

14. Whenever I'm talking to someone that tries to equate legality with morality.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1439949179.184595.jpg

Legality is an arbitrary set of rules that's always changing, and enforced by a monopoly on violence. The State and its laws have the final say, because they'll beat you up and stick you in jail if you don't agree.

Morality is a clear universal code that never changes. It can be described as "natural law", and is discovered through reason and humility. The language of the U.S. Deceleration of Independence reflects this. It's not a bunch of random rules that anyone can just make up, and when those rules are in conflict with natural law (like always), they shouldn't be tolerated.

People who use "because it's the law" as the sole justification for doing anything are obedient sheep.

15. The devil made me smoke his lawn clippings. But I refused to trim the hedges. Legally the moral thing to do because I don't know who the hell he is. I feel right about neglecting his bushes too, those things were growing on their own!

wait, what was the question again?