US and Cuba Finally To End Cold War

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Jul 1, 2015.

1. #1 garrison68, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
    This should have been done years ago. Yeah, Fidel is a dictator and all, but that's no reason we can't have a relationship with Cuba. They have great beaches, food, culture, and weather. I'd go there for a vacation in a heartbeat, just like the citizens of other countries regularly do. Unfortunately, many Cuban Americans want to keep the countries separate, and continue the Cold War with them. Raul Castro is under the mistaken impression that Obama comes from a "humble" background, but hey, whatever works.

U.S. And Cuba To Announce Embassy Openings
    June 30, 2015
    CNN

<cite class="el-editorial-source">Washington (CNN)</cite>The United States and Cuba on Wednesday plan to officially seal the renewal of diplomatic ties begun last year, announcing the reopening of embassies in Washington and Havana for the first time in more than half-a-century, two senior administration officials told CNN on Tuesday.

"We will formally announce tomorrow that the United States and Cuba have reached an agreement to re-establish formal diplomatic relations and open embassies in each other's capitals," one senior U.S. administration official said. "We expect President Obama and Secretary Kerry to address this publicly tomorrow morning."
    The re-establishing of embassies is a final step in the full diplomatic thaw President Barack Obama initiated in December. Since then, the United States has loosened some travel restrictions to Cuba and allowed for some new economic ties.
    In April, Obama met with Raul Castro during a summit meeting in Panama, the first time the leaders of Cuba and the United States had met in more than 50 years.
    The United States officially removed Cuba from its list of state sponsors of terror earlier in June, eliminating a remaining stumbling block in the diplomatic renewal.
    In Havana, the American embassy will likely occupy the same building where the Interests Section currently operates, White House aides have said. That's the same structure, situated on the Havana waterfront, which housed the American embassy prior to the severing of diplomatic ties after the Cuban Revolution in the 1950s.
    ww.cnn.com/2015/06/30/politics/u-s-cuba-embassy-relationship/

2. are u saying obama has ulterior motives?

3. I didn't get that from the op

Did I miss something?

-yuri

4. I'm going to buy a red beret to celebrate.

5. Raul Castro, Fidel has health issues and had to step down a few years ago. The trade embargo, and more so its ruling class have turned the nation into a backwater. It is truly heartbreaking to see people wearing and bringing all they can to their relatives when they travel to Cuba. You win more allies with honey than with threats and naval blockades, hearts and minds people, hearts and minds. It is how you win people over so that they help you rather than shoot at you.

6. Russia sending ICBM's with nuclear warheads to Cuba was the cause of it all.....

7. So can they finally get some parts for all that old Detroit Iron??

[​IMG]

8. Well, they were irbm's and mrbm's and it was in response to us deploying the same types of missiles in turkey before then...

9. Apparently its still considered illegal to buy any of their goods: 'trading with the enemy act'

But yes i agree, this is looong overdue, its the red tape we can expect from a bloated bureaucracy.

10. I suppose most of them cant be original anymore but there has to be some hidden gems down there.

11. tht's what I picked up from the context

12. #12 garrison68, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
    I simply meant that in my opinion, there is nothing "humble" about Obama - not his background, his personality, or his political career. Obama is not going to contradict the belief that he is from a humble background, if it is advantageous to him.

13. Fucking gorgeous peripheral consequence of geopolitics!

14. my bad

15. According to Ted Cruz, this rapprochement is a slap in the face to Israel [​IMG]

Believable, un.

16. So we severed all diplomatic ties in 1960 and imposed the embargo in September 1962 because of the missile crisis in October 1962?

Having gone through an American high school history class, I can see why you could believe we're so exceptional we preempted those dirty commies.

17. Sorry I didn't quote a whole chapter of history about the Bay of Pigs invasion in 1960 and every interconnected issue....

18. Castro was really crazy, he actully wanted the USSR to nuke the United States.

"In the early 1980s, according to newly released documents, Fidel Castro was suggesting a Soviet nuclear strike against the United States, until Moscow dissuaded him by patiently explaining how the radioactive cloud resulting from such a strike would also devastate Cuba"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/science/22nuke.html?_r=0

19. That's cool and all but we reinstated the cold war 5 years ago Lol.