Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Had Kief soaking in a low ISO solution for a month or two

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by SlightlyStonedStranger, Jun 28, 2015.

1. #1 SlightlyStonedStranger, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
    So about a month and a half ago, my roommate and I had found an old grinder we forgot about that was absolutely caked with Kief. Seriously, this grinder was coated green and brown with caked-on weed stuff. So I had the bright idea to try separating the Kief with Isoprophyl Alcohol (Making Hash right?). Only having the basic idea on how this process works, I just went for it. Bad Idea. I used far too much ISO, a glass full of it. These are the days that follow...

Day One: Put grinder to soak in only 50% ISO solution. Let soak for 5min, before pouring solution in to a cup and an aluminum can. Once some of the solution evaporated, I poured the surplus in the cup into the can (Refilling the Can). Then waited for more to evaporate so I could rinse the cup with water getting all that was left poured into the can.

So, we have a solution of probably like 30-40% ISO and Kief at this point sitting in a soda can. We put the solution on a piece of foil sitting on top of a warm bulb, with a fan blowing above it.

Next Couple Days: The ISO was dissolving very quickly at first but then towards 50% full, the solution started slowing down, and we put it away in a dark place to finish the process (it was an eyesore). So now we have a can of solution sitting below our sink in our bathroom alone.

Two-Three Weeks Later: Some more has evaporated, but now there's a third a can left, and a white gloppy thing floating at the top, this stuff looks pretty gross. Kinda like someone blew a snot-rocket into the stuff. Not wanting to deal with it, I put it back away.

Until Today<span class="redactor-invisible-space"> (Like Two Weeks Later)<span class="redactor-invisible-space">: I point it out to my roommate who optimistically exclaims "It's looking great!", saying he'd smoke it. (The glob is no longer in there) So we run the small amount of solution through a coffee filter. What we have now is a sloppy brownish sandy looking shit. We put a lamp over it with a fan blowing over hoping the rest of the solution will soon evaporate.
    </span></span>
    <span class="redactor-invisible-space"><span class="redactor-invisible-space">
    </span></span>
    <span class="redactor-invisible-space"><span class="redactor-invisible-space">My question:<span class="redactor-invisible-space"> Is this stuff gonna be alright to smoke? The white gloppy thing is gone. But the solution of ISO and Tap Water was sitting for pretty long, that's some stagnant shit. So once the rest evaporates, will we be alright to smoke it? Also, will this Kief be any better or worse than normal collected Kief? Like at all?
    </span></span></span>

2. Haha you found and old grinder filled with Kief and then wasted it by trying to make hash. Wow that's sucks you should of just turn that shit into rosin real quick, then dab it

3. You are meant to use 90%+ iso to make hash :) but feel sorry for you loosing all that kief

4. #4 TokeRandir, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    This. CVS, RiteAid, pharmacies in general sell 91% and occasionally 99%. This is what you want to be using to make Quick Wash ISO hash. It will evaporate quickly and thoroughly. What you had was half water basically so the alcohol evaporated much more quickly than the water left behind. The white floating "snot rocket", probably mold from sitting in the dark under your sink.

For the next time you try this, soak your grinder, pour the solution into a ceramic dish, put a fan blowing over it. You want ventilation. Mind you this won't be anywhere as efficient as a vacuum oven (that's a thing that's used for purging right guys?), but I end up chucking my dish in the toaster oven (the large one, not the kind for slices of bread.) on as low a temp as I can before I go to try it. Inhaling burning alcohol isn't the objective.