New to organics...... Hows my soil mix sound?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by kush king 902, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Hi everybody my first grow was with coco and canna nutrients but this time for my second grow i want to go organic. here is my soil mix is there anything else i should add or will this take care of me for my first organic grow?

i have used for my soil
    3 bags of promix organic 1 cb ft bags
    1 bag of ewc 1 cb ft bag
    perlite 1cb ft
    dolomite lime 1 cup per cb ft
    3 cups of blood meal
    4 cups of bone meal
    3 cups of kelp meal
    sheep manure 1 cb ft bag
    added liquid karma in with tap water that sat 24 hours and mixed well.

By the time i use this mix it will be cooking for 8 weeks. I was thinking of adding alfalfa meal also at some point and bat guano when i transfer to flower pots. what do you guys think?

2. #3 Sc00byD00bie, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    sounds a little hot but im no expert. where did you get this recipe from?

edit: what's liquid karma?

3. You need 1 cup total amendments per cubic foot, your mix is way too hot. Plus adding liquid karma goes against the whole idea of organics. With organic you do not add any chemical nutrient or else it will kill the soil microbes you worked so hard to create.

4. #5 jerry111165, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    I don't use bottles myself but
    according to the manufacturers ingredients list the product doesn't contain chemical nutrients. Overpriced and unnecessary, sure but it doesn't look like anything that will hurt an organic soil.

He also has around 6 cubic feet of soil between his ProMix, perlite, manure and worm castings.Now, I am not a fan of blood and bone meal myself but between his kelp meal, blood meal and bonemeal he has a total of 10 cups of amendments for all 6 CF of soil... Which isn't even 2 cups of amendments per CF of soil. I wouldn't consider that "hot" myself.

I would, however, select different amendments but that's just me.

5. <strong class="faq_q">Q: Is Liquid Karma organic? </strong>
    <strong class="faq_a">A:</strong> Although largely sourced from naturally occurring materials Liquid Karma is not 100% organic or OMRI-certified. While the majority of the inputs in Liquid Karma are derived from organic sources, there are some processes during manufacturing that occur to increase the product's stability and overall performance which prevent the product from being 100% organic.
    <strong class="faq_q">Q: Does Liquid Karma contain beneficial microbes?</strong>

<strong class="faq_a">A:</strong> No Liquid Karma is not an ‘active' product however the wide range amount of readily available organics contained within the formula provide an excellent food source for beneficial microbes and fungi in the rhizosphere.

6. Well it would certainly figure. It's funny how they try and pass it off as organic.

Again, I'm not a bottle guy but I didn't think that it contained chemical nutrients.

7. I wonder what it is that makes it not organic. Their MSDS sheet list of ingredients doesn't show anything that raises red flags.

http://www.thebigtomato.com/wp-content/uploads/201...

\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<div class="column">\t\t\t\t\tPRODUCT NAME: LIQUID KARMA
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t
    \t\t</div>1. INGREDIENTS: Dolomite, potassium carbonate, fish meal, sea weed extract,magnesium sulfate, humic acid (derived fro leonardite shale), water soluble vitamins.

8. They say it's one of the stabilizing processes, they'll never tell us what it is though.

9. its called LC's soil mix i found it looking for a first time organic recipe. i read that it didnt have enough in it to go through the entire cycle so i added a tiny bit more then it called for.
    it is only a small trial bottle of liquid karma i wont use any more if you guys think its a bad idea. it was just included in this recipe

10. after i already made my soil i changed my mind on the blood meal and bone meal. i got turned off the more i read. next time i do plan on changing those but im stuck with them for now. i just needed a place to start off in organics, a stepping stone of sorts. i never knew how many different things i could use its almost overwhelming

11. should i add more promix so the mix is not so hot or should it be ok

12. http://oda.state.or.us/dbs/heavy_metal/detail.lasso?-op=eq&product_id=12632

I would guess it's the Phosphorous Acid\t\t\tor some other crap they have listed under the non plant food ingredients.

13. #14 Sc00byD00bie, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
    i think you will be fine if you let it cycle for two or three weeks.

i can recommend you read the soil mix for beginners sticky and follow the recipe there. The No-Till thread is also full of good info.

14. Rome wasn't built in a day buddy. Go with what you have for now and keep reading here around the Organics forum. You'll grow some good plants with what you have and you'll get better over time.

Welcome to the forum.

J

15. I think you'll be ok. Just let it cycle for at least 3-4 weeks before use.

J

16. that is good info still have a lot of it to read tho

17. thanks, it will be cycled for 6+ by the time i use the soil with the ammendments in it