Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DivineVictoryX, Jun 26, 2015.

1. I don't think power or attorney or financial documents have a thing to do with religion. This means that a same sex couple previously in 37 was married and became "unmarried" when they entered states that would not allow same sex marriage. Think about how you would feel if you couldn't see your wife sick in the ICU because the state said you were not married.

It's easy to say that gays will do away with marriage but those of us who are not religious are not necessarily seeking a marriage for the religious purpose, but for the legal powers and safeties we are afforded as family. It should be noted that churches will not be forced in anyway to accommodate the ruling, their freedoms and protections remain in tact.

If you truly cannot understand why your marriage is not made weaker by allowing more to marry, think of the wedding industry: catering, photography, florists etc...this is good news for them!

Everyone wins.

2. Neil Stevens:

Having taken this decision out of the political process, the radicals have left few options. It's time for civil disobedience, because they're coming for the Christians now.

It's time to defy the court on this. It's time to fight back. Nonviolent civil disobedience is the only option we have been left under this terrible ruling. We will be heard.

3. I don't know why religious folks get their panties in a bunch over this. Just look at the statistics. Around 2% of the population identify as being homosexual, bi, transgender. That's collectively. This ruling is going to effect a fraction of a percent of the population, yet has somehow garnered all this undue attention.

Good riddance with this issue!

4. how do you be civilly disobedient in this case?

Are right wing tax services gonna refuse service to gays or something? Lol

-yuri

5. why does it bother certain straight people so bad that gays can get married? I don't give a fuck about their marriages

6. #26 KushNMusic, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    wow didnt think it would happen so soon actually

7. Gotta make the plebians happy while the tpp tries to slip through... someone pass my tin foil hat please?

8. Isn't this a violation of the the 10th amendment? Saying states can make their own laws...and since now the Supreme Court ruled in favor for all 50 states have to recognize gay marriages even if certain states voted against it, shouldn't a CCW permit from Texas be recognized in all 50 states?

9. No, because the Supreme Court determines your constitutional rights. The second amendment states that citizens can bear arms but your CCW was issued by Texas and is therefore only valid in Texas. You were not issued a CCW by the constitution.

The Supreme Court strengthened your rights as a federal citizen on Friday and it is now illegal to refuse a marriage license to any couple in the United States. Federal powers supersede any state powers.

10. Well depends on how you interpret the constitution. It's a little more grey than a lot of people are making it out to be. I would argue that it is a violation of the fourteenth amendment for the government to provide benefits to one group of people heterosexual couples and not the other. Supreme Court cases have frequently overruled state rule in many cases so it's not unheard of. If you look at the case of loving vs Virginia which basically ruled bans on interracial marriage unconstitutional it's a very similar kind of outcome. In that ruling the judges talk about a right to marry and you see very similar language between the two cases in that regard. Looking at many recent Supreme Court rulings this ruling really didn't come out of left field as many people are claiming. Like I said it is debatable but I personally agree with the decision about the application of the fourteenth amendment.

11. I'm really loving Huckabee comparing himself and his fellow nutters to MLK and the civil rights movement.

12. Having been in poly relationships, I can tell you it sucks when you only have 1 legal wife and the others are just... There.

13. #33 iAmBetty, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
    Edit: ok, good luck.

14. I bet a lot of people in gay relationships aren't happy about losing their excuse to not get married.

15. #35 Deleted member 469440, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Does anyone think the divorce rates for gay couples will be high in the next few years, then taper off?

I think a lot of couples out there will jump on the marriage bandwagon now that they can.

I am not saying that there won't be any life lasting relationships, just that there might be some that rush into it now that they have the option :confused:

:smoke:

16. #36 forty winks, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
    We all have the god given right and the privilege of committing legally sanctioned and constitutionally protected interpersonal mistakes [​IMG]

Did I miss anything?

17. Like couples that rush to get married for the military benefits? What's the divorce rate on that, if we're making assumptions?

18. #38 Deleted member 469440, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Kind of like that, but I'm talking about the excitement it's causing around the country, some of the younger crowd might jump into it since it is so new.

:smoke:

Edit- I have no idea what the divorce rate on military couples are lol

19. next on the agenda legal weed for everyone.

20. Mandatory weed, whether people want it or not!