First time grow- CFL and mystery bag seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trippymama, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1435989332.737803.jpg
    I just can't get over how cute Rose looks!
    Clara should be finished sprouting tomorrow and hopefully Amy will shed her casing too!

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436069144.034849.jpg Rose

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436069161.970783.jpg Clara sprouted out nicely today

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436069186.373099.jpg and it looks like Amy will be in the same state by tomorrow evening-still hanging onto the inner lining of her seed casing

Will be transplanting the ladies into solo cups tomorrow so I can play along with the solo cup challenge #6

3. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436114651.803281.jpg

Transplanted into solo cups for the solo cup challenge, cut the bottom of the cup and added a mesh screen for air flow and a cup "skirt" to keep it suspended

Just checked on them and one of the babies has a little brown going on at the leaf tip.. My ph test stuff is supposed to be here tomorrow so I'm not sure what ph is at this moment.. Any suggestions? (Also note, the brown spot on the round leaf has been there since sprouting) ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436114795.788506.jpg

4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436130037.437734.jpg
    New setup! Got a cardboard armoire and lined with aluminum foil. May look at getting a Mylar emergency blanket soon though. The lights are suspended so they can be moved as the plants grow

5. It looks pretty dangerous with the A.Foil and the cardboard! I was always told by the firefighters never use A.Foil to grow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6. What is the danger of the foil? It doesn't catch fire or anything - you can put it in a 500 degree (f) oven and it's just the same when it comes out as when it comes in. The light fixture is far enough from the cardboard not to be a hazard. And it has good airflow so heat isn't trapped inside
    And firefighters telling you how to grow cannabis? Seriously

7. Okay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8. Not sure why, but the temptation to peek at my babies while their lights are off is so huge lol! I'll post a pic update when the lights come back on:)

9. #89 Volat, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
    hey, ive been having a similar problem when trying to sprout my germinated seeds. how long did it take for them to break soil once you'd planted? Ive read a few different guides on here and some say never to water a planted seed till it sprouts, others say it doesnt need light till it sprouts. what exactly should i be doing to make sure that the seeds will break the surface successfully? (currently im not watering,i soaked and drained the soil before planting the germinated seeds, and the top layer of dirt doesnt seem to be drying out. one of the 3 plants has a plastic bag over the top, still no sprouts 4 days in)

10. I soaked my seeds then put them in damp soil with a plastic over the top and watered when the soil felt dry. Also had them under 24hr lights. (3 23w cfl in the 5000k spectrum) mine sprouted after 3-5 days.. What kind of seeds are you using? They should be hard and brown probably with some marbling on them

11. Thanks for the reply, im using seeds bought from a seedbank. Ive planted one of each; CBD Blue shark (barneys farm), white widow (royal queen seeds) and finally am auto flowering blue cheese (dinafem). They looked as you described and germinated ok from what i can tell. Good luck with your grow btw

12. just got my pH kit in and definitely should have opted for the probe rather than the "stick some chemicals in the tube with some soil and guess the color" option. Looks to be in the 6.5 area for dry soil and slightly lower with wet soil..

13. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436321602.647028.jpg
    Rose- not sure what the burnt spot is from but I'm assuming that the yellowing is due to slightly low pH

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436321647.702151.jpg
    Clara- she's a little taller than Rose and not as yellow

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436321695.542159.jpg
    Amy- not quite filling out like the other two (and was also 2 days behind to sprout)

Not pictured- Badwolf my shot glass experiment. Seed looks about ready to break ground and will be put on 12/12 lights once she's out. Playing around with a micro mini grow.

Also, nectar of the gods nutes are set to arrive tomorrow so I will probably start on that tomorrow or Thursday depending on what time of the day they come

14. Nothing new yet with the little ones, just turned the lights back on after their 6hr nap. Looking a tad bit taller but not much else. Waiting on my nutes to show up today and will probably start them at half or quarter potency for the next watering

15. If you want to look at them with the lights off, buy a green bulb. They are pretty cheap.

16. I'm using CFL so the lights don't change the color of the plants in pics :)

17. I'm talking about working with the lights off. If you use a green light, you can work on them during lights off without affecting the cycle, but you'll be able to see.

18. I've also read that somewhere in here. I think that plants only use red and blue light from the spectrum when they photosynthesise. So using green light in the "lights off" period is fine. Is that right?

19. I believe so. As long as you're not letting the other lighting into your area while you're on green lights