First time grow- CFL and mystery bag seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trippymama, Jun 25, 2015.

1. I dropped my first seeds today! Going to attempt a small grow (possibly in a dead refrigerator once they outgrow my small space)
    Sprouting 3 mystery bag seeds in 16oz juice bottles and then will transplant to larger pots once they're ready. I have 4 23w CFL (5000k spectrum) for lighting (will continue to add lights as needed, as well as switch to 2700k for flowering) at 24 hours for veg (may switch to 18/6 once sprouted). Seedlings planted in Harvest Superpowered Organic Potting Mix, possibly switching to Fox Farm Ocean Forest once in the larger pot(s). At this moment, the bottles are sitting behind a kitchen island in the spare bedroom against a white wall, some white poster board, and a photography reflector (silver, will switch to gold for flowering as it's a "warmer" tone) small flat rate post boxes to keep them about 2-3 inches from the lights that are suspended above using some paracord. I also have a small fan blowing in the general area for air flow. {attached is a photo of the setup} Feel free to make suggestions, I'm open to learning!

Attached Files:

2. Cover up the containers

3. Will do! Think plastic bags (like ziplock) over the tops would work?

4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1435285233.137088.jpg added a third box for height and ziplock baggies :) also some rigged up packing tape fly paper that didn't make the picture

5. Any idea why one of my lights died? Could it be from having them all on the same power strip? Maybe I'll get a second strip to hold 2 lights each, seeing as I'll need more lights in the future anyways ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1435340628.281864.jpg

6. Subbed. Just started my first grow with roughly the same setup. Trial testing a bag seed at the moment. Good luck!

7. Subbed, i started my grow with 4 cfls, and now im at 10, but im a monthnand a week into it, cfls work pretty good for what i tried. Mebbe you should take a peep,

8. sometimes it happens, with the light socket splitters you can have it pushing uo to 660 actual watts. 23w cfls arent anything to a socket. i started with 1 splitter per light socket and didnt have any issues until i got into using 3 splitters in sequence to hold 4 lights per actual socket.i had a cfl go out on me in the first 3 days of plugging it in. Shitty manufacturing on that one light probably.

9. Yeah that's what I figured, looks like I'll be getting more lights and splitters soon:)

10. interested in staying on top of your grow, seems to be like what i aimed for ;)

11. Thanks Antwan! I'm hoping it turns out successful. I'm currently prepping my old refrigerator to be my new grow space. It's a side by side so I'm hoping I'll get a female to cut clones from that I can keep in the small side

12. i grew some bagseed 4 different times and it came out dank every time, i just got some blueberry type smelling stuff pretty cool.. you should cover up the sides of your pots from the light or youll grow algea btw

13. you might want to monitor your ph from now on, i ran into a problem a week ago and my tap water ph was wayy too high and it almost nutrient locked me. ill attach a graph i found on google, if your ph goes higher than 7.8-8.2 your plant wont eat and show deficiencies leaving you confused[​IMG]
    if the ph is 6.2-6.8 your plants can eat all of the nutrients it needs between its wet/dry cycles. too high or too low would lock it out and starve it.

[​IMG]

if your anything like me when you grow, you dont wnna be gun-ho and do whatever you can to fix a nitrogen deficiency or in my case it was a boron deficiency mixed with magnesium deficiency.but no reason for it that led me to test my ph.

hope this helps :)

14. true, you dont want anything clearish material, you want the inside of your pots to be as dark as possible. if you go into 5gal buckets look for the darkest you can find.

15. Yea that is what I meant when I said cover up the containers lol cover it so no light will shine through your container to your roots

16. I'm subbed! This should be fun to watch. I'm kinda scared to mess with bag seeds around here. Any mids with seeds are probably not worth my time. I've seen some beautiful ones on GC though. I guess it's just the trashy mids round here. I've tried 3 and all were hermies.

17. Thanks for all of the tips guys!! I'll definitely do some blacking out to the containers tonight and
    Antwan, I'm actually getting a ph kit tomorrow lol:)

18. Also, should I start nutes rift after the initial sprout or wait a while? Probably going to go with foxfarm nutes since I'm getting the ff soil for my big pots

19. Subbed up! Setup looks familiar :) Good luck!

20. you shoukd start 1/2 dilluted nutes once you get your first formed leaf(1 finger serrated leaf) and go full nute once you get a five or seven finger fan leaf, worked good for me..
    With the ph, i use my aquatics testkit to test my ph AFTER my nutes go in my water. And you can use a test strip kit to test your run off when you water comes out the bottom of the pot, or you can get a good ole' ph pen/probe(i dont like the probes) good luck :)

if you can keep your ph stable with the graph i shared to you, when the ph is around 6.6-6.8 your plant will intake the nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and the boron like theres no tomorrow and your plants will want to grow fast, and not have any -random- deficiency if your soil/medium is right.
    i got signs of magnesium, boron, and calcium deficiencies, but it wasnt really a deficiency, it was nutrient lockout.
    when ph is around 7.8-8.2 or 5.5 and down.Plants will show all the deficiencies, and if you let it go long enough you will develop a dead plant... lol

Hope all goes well. Try not to rush into fixing an issue if you get a sign of a deficiency, search the causes and what all you can do to fix it. Sometimes its the last thing you would expect to make it recover, you dont want to try to fix 1 problem and accidentally create 3 more or death(of the plants) lol

hope it helps