Omnipotence paradox

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JewishVolcano, Jun 25, 2015.

1. I agree with Norse omnipotent means all powerfull and in any case it's the allmightyness that is the subject of paradox not allseeingness/allknowingness.

I don't think a programer is omipotent in a video game. He has power to create gaming tasks with varying levels of easyness but that doesn't necessarily means he's allpowerful in completing them, especially if a task is impossible to complete To the extent that he is omnipotent in the sense that he can program anything then his power is not diminished by the fact that he created for himself an impossible to beat task since he can still program his way to victory.

2. Agree or not that's the definition of the word.

Also the Bible never uses the word all powerful or omnipotent

Only Creator of all things. All as one.

God simply is.

Even Norse has posted this a few times, the idea of the universe itself being sentient.

In Christian religion this is often misunderstood.

God is simply all that is. God is not a person or entity.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >I don't think a programer is omipotent in a video game. He has power to create gaming tasks with varying levels of easyness but that doesn't necessarily means he's allpowerful in completing them, especially if a task is impossible to complete To the extent that he is omnipotent in the sense that he can program anything then his power is not diminished by the fact that he created for himself an impossible to beat task since he can still program his way to victory.

</blockquote>
    Perhaps its a bad metaphore

But the entire God paradox is created from the misrepresentation if God as an individual "intelligence "

-yuri
    Op. Are you Jewish?

how ddoes your own religion define God?

-yuri

3. No it's not the definition of the word unless you're THE DECIDER [​IMG]

Seriously I just googled 'omnipotent' and every definition on first search page defines it as 'allmighty, allpowerfull, can do anything'. Knowing and seeing everything can be said to be included into allmightyness but the other way around.

You may have your philosophy that's totally fine with me but God the way it's viewed by religious folks is certainly an entity which has powers. I'm not really into theology or metaphysics and i'm not jewish either. To me this issue is just about logical paradox.

4. The Bible literally describes God as the universe

In the old testiment he is a person, but his image evolves over time as the Bible evolves

Either way in an atheist so don't take what I'm saying too seriously.

But I stand by what i said.

There is no paradox.

The logic of God making a stone hhe cannont llift only disproved our human definition of omnipotent which is something we invented to describe god

-yuri

5. i did it though. by use of my superior and omnipotent intellect.

6. I think the point if this thread is that the word "omnipotent" is a self contradiction

It really has nothing to do with God tho

-yuri

7. Its kind of funny, we apply the rules of our reality to a conceptual infinite (omnipotence).

Its still interesting to discuss though haha.

I wont bore this thread with my metaphysical breakdown but i do think 'god' is the resolution of contradictions in the 'form'(i use that loosely) of potential.

8. The idea is that omnipotence is a natural property of the universe itself. This means it has the power to manifest any number of realities.there's no limit to what can be experienced. Whether in this awake state of conscious or dream state of conscious. Do you realize you're dreaming when you are dreaming? When you do, aren't you omnipotent? The mind is able to manifest whatever it can imagine. This is God. Consciousness itself. It's not an emergent property, WE are an emergent property. It's the fundamental nature of your experience and has all the properties of what one might call God. Timeless, spaceless and limitless; indivisible and homogeneous/without quality and then it emanates and comes the first level of singularity and then into duality and then into multiplicity. It all emanates and every stage exists simultaneously, because time doesn't exist. The truest state is the primordial nothingness/emptiness/potentiality. That is most importantly, unchanging. Being beyond time and timeless. The other emanations are all just temporary forms and fundamentally unreal.

Those who understand this taste the nectar of the sublime word, amen.

9. Damn good post.

10. My point is actually the opposite. That there is no self contradiction here as the paradox suggests.

11. No you're not I'll tell you this straight up. Not even almost. You only gain some power to channel your dream that's all. I've had my fair share of lucid dreaming and each time upon realization I would immediately start groping women and having sex. However as the experience gets intense I would almost always wake up, which is definitely not part of my intention.

12. Those limitations are placed by your own self, you could conquer them and imagine anything. If you are fettered by lust, then you will experience a limitation, if you do not unfetter yourself from the various mental fixations/afflictions, you will not experience the limitless, but from anyone's experience from when they are a child they will experience the limitlessness of mind to some degree. It is because mind has no boundaries, there's no end to the things you can experience in the mind.

13. honeslty I love debating this

But in reality I'm an atheist because I believe the idea of God itself is a self contradiction.

Some may want to describe the universe itself as intelligent, but I believe thats a different idea than God or Creator entirely.

If the universe is intelligent, humanity is the neurons

-yuri

14. I think the opposite. I think that the idea of God as a contradiction is the false definition of God. The true definition can be found in the philosophy of great philosophers of all times.

15. an intelligence cannot have existed independent of a medium.

Intelligence can only arise through evolution of complexity

God cannot create a universe, only a.universe can create aa.god

-yuri

16. God isn't intelligent in the sense that you are saying. God is the root and cause of intelligence as is everything else. God is the empty zero state that has neither this nor that. Then God emanates into singularity and then duality and then multiplicity. Intelligence as you say it only exists in multiplicity, but what is created? I'd say emanated is a better concept to apply. God is essentially the unchanging and ever present aspect of the universe. Everything else is an emanation, including intelligence.

17. I must say... Well done on the God part guys :)

Wish i could explain it but the universe has attracted my answer through my reflections (You) :p
    I'm just stuck with knowing yet i cant put into words what i know.

I sometimes i just go with the short and powerful(Hopefully unlocks something) but most usually have no clue what i'm on about that way.

Leonardo Da vinci did say - Simplicity is the Ultimate form of Sophistication. (Took me awhile but once you get it all smiles from there :)

18. Yes but why would I imagine anything unless it fulfills certain longing?

I would also separate sleep from imagination. Because I do have thoughts in my dreams.

I agree that my power of imagination is far beyond my power of reality but to me true fulfillment only happens in reality. It's like difference between taking a girl out and imagining you're taking her out.

19. Hello,

I would first like to say that no Holy Scripture positively calls God "omnipotent", meaning, not one Holy Scripture uses that exact word/term (unless there be some illegitimate translation which introduces a misnomer); rather, in every Holy Scripture, God's power is described either 1) relatively, i.e., as the most powerful of all existent beings, or, 2) in negative terms, that it is to say, such negative claims assert that there's no actual entity, i.e., there's not an actual entity, which can surpass (the most high) God's power (look up "negative theology").

Understanding this, then the question of God being able to create a rock that He cannot lift, becomes pointless and stupid.

For if God is infinitely powerful, then the rock, in order to be un-liftable, would have to weigh more than infinity; which is absurd, since nothing can surpass (or be more than) infinity (for that would be a contradiction in terms). Thus, the possibility of an actual rock, is always conditioned by a definite (or finite) value; and if there be a definite (or finite) value, then it, as such, can be displaced by an infinite power, for the latter (an infinite power) cannot be hindered by a value which is less (or lower) than its power.

But then one may turn around and say, God is not all powerful, because God cannot create an entity that overpowers, an infinite power.

Yet again, digesting what I wrote at the beginning of my post, this objection becomes moot; for I don't say that God is all powerful, i.e., "omnipotent", but the most powerful, or that there is no power which can surpass God's power. In other words, I don't claim that God can both instantiate and abrogate, at the same exact moment, the law of non-contradiction, i.e., forcing (at the same exact moment) A to = -A (for the laws of logic, and mathematics, remain co-eternal with Him [hence, it's said that the laws of logic and mathematics are eternally valid); for if this were actually the case, then He couldn't (and wouldn't) be (defined as) "THE" G-D! Note, God is God, and infinity is infinity, i.e. A = A, and not (cannot be) the contrary. Even if He may, at will, instantiate the law one moment, while immediately abrogating it the next.

Hence, it was said that Abraham was "seen" to be thrown into the fire by his peoples', and yet did not (only by God's mercy) "tangibly" burn or feel pain; precisely because there's no absolute contradiction in being in a fire, as it is known to us, visually, i.e., a visual phenomenon, and not being tangibly, i.e., a tangible phenomenon, burned or injured (for the mere image of a fire doesn't necessarily, i.e., logically, entail or instantiate the actual tangibility of heat), while there is an absolute contradiction in being a fire, as it is to known to us, visually, and not being, at the same exact moment, in that same visually perceived fire.

20. Your third paragraph says essentially the same thing i said 😊