how much of the way we are is actually us

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sceaspit11, Jun 24, 2015.

1. do you not own a computer? Isn't that materialism/

-yuri

2. The brain's neural encryption, pattern recognition, pattern storage, and subsequent dynamic response mechanisms are played like piano strings by both its external environment, and its own, internally recursive functionality.

The bottom line is, whether originating from outside or inside, the conscious little dude that seems to sit inside and feels like "me" and thinks he's either slave or boss (and sometimes both) is yet another functional aspect of those neural firing patterns. We don't make the chemistry happen by deliberate intention. We don't have to it. All the required processes are self-regulating. Will and self-consciousness arise naturally from the brain's electrochemistry and require no behind-the-scenes effort.

What I am, as well as what I think I am, can easily be altered by such things as drugs, electrical stimulation probes, or perhaps a sufficiently extreme experience - and more permanently by Alzheimer's Disease, life trauma, and/or a neurosurgeon's knife. What I am and what I think I am is also constantly being modified by my every experience, regardless of whether my brain deems it to be "subjective" or "objective" in origin. Besides, the distinction becomes more and more arbitrary the closer we examine the nature of the dynamic physical interplay between any living entity - even a single cell - and its environment.

Or not.
    [​IMG]

3. Coming from an unenlightened being.

4. The one idea isn't a religion but has been misinterpreted like much else.

We all came from the same star.

So we all came from one source.

Go back deeper and the Big Bang created everything.

So aliens and humans also came from the same source.

Everyones origins are the same.

But our minds aren't... Or so we think.

It's true that we don't share the same mind and we all have had different experiences which have molded our personalities. But what we do share is the same conscious observer behind the thoughts. That silent listener who hears all the things going on in your head. That's the one mind we all share (by sharing I mean in common).

5. two pieces of paper cut from the same tree still makes two unique pieces of art. They are not one just because they share origins.

-yuri

6. Everything is circumstantial

I've had a bad day so I hate everything right now. Is tht me?

No. But then what is. Am I me when I'm happy?

I'm just an animal. A weak minded animal with an objective to make
    more shitty humans. But if I don't want to reproduce what am I then?

To describe "me" I need a frame of reference; you

Am I nothing without you? Fuck you tho. So fuck me too. Dead or alive doesnt make a difference

Sent from my phone

7. Different art on the same type of paper. Paper has common origin.

The two papers are one and the same but are not one.

8. Correct
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >The two papers are one and the same but are not one.
    </blockquote>Incorrect

I don't really understand whwhat you mean by this or why even say it

-yuri

9. So you say incorrect yet you don't understand it?

You're viewing the one term literally. There isn't one mind we all share, but what we all have in common is the exact same listener in our heads. The one who hears the thoughts and contemplates them.

I added the common origin parts because as you already know we all are a part of the universe. So when one is thinking about the universe they are also technically thinking of themselves.......

But if you identify yourself with the body then you wouldn't view yourself as part of a collective whole. Which would be incorrect because as stated above you make up a portion of the universe.

10. I still don't understand

Like its obvious we are all "part" of "one universe",

But why even point that out?

Earlier when I said its like a religion I meant it. There is a difference between philosophical acknowledgment of common origins and that everything affects everything, and the religious belief that "self" doesn't exist

-yuri

11. Earlier you said that its obvious the self exists and that the "one" concept is just another religion.

We make up a small portion of the universe and the atoms that are in your body were here before you were born and will remain after you die. (I already know you understand this but it will help make my point).

This is why the self is an illusion. You live and die but what makes up you (the atoms) aren't going anywhere. Because as you know matter cannot be created or destroyed.

The self exists as an illusion and nothing more.

12. Another one

13. We are a product of our own environment -- to a degree. Every life is gigantically different from the next, due to genetics, social class and other factors.

14. In collective consciousness we are all one

15. I think it's very hard to define a person as unique. I have always thought that when we are most ourselves is when we have less influence by our society and our surrounding. However that is nearly impossible because when we are babies, what most works in our brains are our mirror neurons (which allows us to learn by imitation), so we imitate our parents (who are already exposed to the enviroment/society).
    Then, because we human beings are social animals, in our thinking patterns we have to conform socialy in order to be accepted in a group (If you want to check more about that, search on google : social conformation experiment, asch 1951). So I think that people tend to loose theemselvs in trends and things that the majority of people are into, and those who dont want to follow those things go and create/find groups with common interests, and then they create sub cultures (for example this webpage is an example of a subculture, the stoner community).
    A some other peoplee posted, there is a lot of subconscious programming donde by corporations, government, etc. that weare exposed through media. So are our thoughts our own? or are they implanted by someone/something to our subconscous? are we our thoughts? Do we control our mind, or does our mind control us? Those are questions you have to answer yourself.
    But I think you can find yourself, be a 100% you, but it's not easy. As some people you have to unlearn what you know in ordeer to find who you are. And also a quote to end this :) , as someone said "the moment you are lost is when you find who you are".
    Have a good day.