how much of the way we are is actually us

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sceaspit11, Jun 24, 2015.

1. why is that sad?

Its just survival of the fittest

Only ones who are truely strong can be themselves

-yuri

2. It's sad because people conform to whatever society tells them, sort of become apathetic in a way and don't challenge any beliefs and standards set by society in general. “Survival of the fittest” lol irony the way things are going now if there is no challenge made to the government then mankind will be history pretty soon but that's another story, getting off track here.

3. but most people do be themselves. They only hide certain aspects that don't benefit them in society, which not only is perfectly natural, but also their own choice.

There is nothing's sad about it. Its all voluntary

-yuri

4. #24 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    that's debatable, I'm talking mainly about north american culture. You think today's role models like Miley Cyrus and Nicki Minaj is helping the cause? Just a little fun statistic: niki minaj song on youtube : 500 million, Pink floyd: 2 million

5. I have a 5 year old daughter and 2 older nieces

They choose to listen to these artists.

Though my daughter often asks me.to put on metal too

-yuri

6. #26 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    that's not very reassuring, no offence. I guess what im trying to imply is that the mainstream used to have meaning, music was made because people had visions and made music with meaning. tHE Media or music industry wasn't able to censor or put forward an agenda for younger generations to listen to. It seems like they want us in this bubble of insecurity and looking what is cool or in-trend. Christ I see 12 year olds dressing like 17 year olds that were apart of my generation in highschool.

7. would you say my daughter isn't being allowed to be herself?

Should i ban her from listening to those artists? Would that help her be herself? Or who you and I want her to be?

-yuri

8. #28 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    unfortunately we are slaves to society, and I don't want this debate to get personal.

minaj lyrics:

I get it cracking like a bad back.<br style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: center;">Bitch talking she the queen, when she looking like a lab rat<br style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: center;">I'm Angelina, you Jennifer<br style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: center;">Come on bitch, you see where Brad at<br style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: center;">Ice my wrists and I piss on bitches<br style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: center;">You can suck my diznik if you take this jizzes

9. What's wrong with being a "slave" to society? (Slave isn't the right word BTW, its a buzzword to create a problem that isn't there)

Hear me out. We are communal animals. We need society to survive. No one wants to be alone.

Sure. Its sad sometimes people can't be who they want to be because of pressure from society. Such as being gay and never coming out.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say you are a complete slave and not yourself.

Lets look at this another way. When I look at other girls, I often long fir the chance to be with them. And most are prettier than my wife. But I choose not to cheat because I'm faithful and love my wife. But at the same time, societal pressure to be faithful is hindering me being myself (a little hornball)

How absurd does that sound?

We are not slaves. We just have to have self control sometimes because things we want (who we are? No) don't always benefit us.

Or to put this another way. We want acceptance and we want things that people wont accept.

The choice is yours. You are free

-yuri

10. #30 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    fine, yes we need a society ,one with no morals tho? get that through your head. We are slaves when we become apathetic and don't even challenge any standards set in stone. It ain't up to your fucking kid to challenge it, kids have no say in most things and become like sponges when it comes to taking in culture. Its up to adults who actually have fully developed brains.

11. :lol::D:D:lol::lol:

BTW I hate Niki. Which is why I expose my daughter to real music.

And guess what. When in the car with mommy, she asks the same question

"Can we listen to metal"

All we can do is nurture diversity and give them opportunities.

They will still always have the desire to conform. Its in our genes. Its natural.

-yuri

12. probably about 10% of any person is genuine, 40% inherited, and 50% society.

some more so or less than others but that's probably close

13. morals are subjective.

Im not exactly sure what you are getting at

We are slaves because of niki manage?

-yuri

14. #34 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    I was using her merely as an example, my God! lol morals are subjective eh, ok brb going to kill someone but its ok in my head so that means its alright to do!

15. murder us illegal because society agrees that they don't want to kill eachother.

"Do unto others"

-yuri
    Too bad cerial killers are slaves to our murder free society :lol:

-yuri

16. #36 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    uhh ya your getting off track here, i think i've done my thing here, ill let you ponder on it.

17. I realize this but I still think your point is off.

We are slaves to society because you personally don't like the things SOME stars say?

I'm really not sure what we are arguing about at this point.

Why did you even bring up pop stars?

-yuri

18. because it confuses me how amazing artists like these that make music with a cause to inspire others to show what is going on in the world and how we can "rise" together. While shit with no brains as katy perry and miley cyrus are getting more money than these type of MUSICIANS for shaking their asses and tits infront of a camera. Practically inspiring young ones that without looking attractive you're inferior. Now they would not support this claim but cmon they're getting plastic surgerys constant make overs so that they don't feel judged. Paving the way to a new generation of bullies...well done.

19. I agree

We are getting of track

Back on topic. We are slaves to society because we choose to be. And therefore are not actually slaves.

People like Niki manage don't tell us how to live. We tell them what to sing by buying their records.

-yuri

20. till confuses me how amazing artists like these that make music with a cause to inspire others to show what is going on in the world and how we can "rise" together. While shit with no brains as katy perry and miley cyrus are getting more money than these type of MUSICIANS for shaking their asses and tits infront of a camera. Practically inspiring young ones that without looking attractive you're inferior. Now they would not support this claim but cmon they're getting plastic surgerys constant make overs so that they don't feel judged. Paving the way to a new generation of bullies...well done.