how much of the way we are is actually us

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sceaspit11, Jun 24, 2015.

1. what do you guys think? have you guys ever thought about the fact that the majority of things that people do and decisions people make are heavily and majorly influenced by their surroundings and things/people they find good, or "cool"? i feel like in a societal perspective, variety and uniqueness in humans has kind of dumbed-down, or simplified. how much of our actions and thoughts are actually "us" and not thoughts influenced by surroundings, principles, preconceptions, and beliefs that came from observation and experience that changed our perception of things?

2. I would say in general, a majority. 'Conform or be cast out'. Sadly, people get their self worth from what other people think of them, so they become what they think others want them to be, thus they arent themself.

3. I remember over hearing a Director on set saying to the Property Master -

"There is no we, there's only me."

4. I was thinking about this last night actually, and the people i enjoy most are the people who are themselves, who, whether intentional or part of who they are, challenge the ways i think.

• Like Like x 1
  5. what is "us" is completely circumstantial
    environment and biological wiring

6. if you hang around someone who is unique along enough you will start to think like them or they will start to think like you, which would mean no longer unique. Wow have you ever had a situation were you would had to think what of a solution so you start thinking of what someone els would think of it?

7. #7 willywagpole, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    10734175_483380185110525_8325976039766662005_n.jpg
    ~ Osho

90% of the of the time this is true as most are following the mind. If everyone practiced Meditation daily it would be the other way around. (IMO)

Once you completely break free of society's conditioning and society's expectations you will no longer become a part of that majority.

Easier said then done sadly :S

8. It really.just depends on how many people benefit ffrom being themselves.

For example. More people are openly gay now days because they don't associate it with risk

-yuri

9. What? Nigga don't project none a that sauce on me. I do what I do for me, myself, and I. No other De La Soul songs included.

10. That's why we are all one. We embrace each other.

11. I know what you mean.

I'd say around 15%

12. Let me ask a thread related question

Isn't the desire to be accepted a personality trait?

Isn't the ammount you are willing to sacrifice to fit in unique to you?

I might argue that we are 100% ourselves

-yuri

13. Possibly correct, However we only truly need our own acceptance.

Everyone else's is Irrelevant. If you are happy with who you are and proud, There is no need to go any further.

14. that's subjective.

We live in a reality where there are other people.

And the reason we care what people think is because we care about people.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unnatural about trying to win others approval.

You wouldn't tell a serial killer to just "be yourself" would you?

-yuri

15. Yeah well i don't see nothing wrong or right about trying to wins others approval, I just choose to not put myself in a situation that Low (If you will) because it seems very primitive to me.

I actually would tell a serial killer to be himself IF he knows how to connect with his True Self and not the Self that has been created by the Ego and Society's conditioning. I guess im just different like that..

For me its more that i have let go of what others think instead of i Don't care? If that makes sense?

Attachment is the root cause of all suffering ~ Buddha
    (This quote has dramatically helped and changed my life)

From my beliefs i understand that we are all one, If you dig deep enough there really isn't anyone else but you. I try to remind myself daily to keep this state of mind as it really has a powerful effect on my Reality.

Juju

16. isn't attachment part of love?

Can one love someone without getting attached?

Or in other words, isn't the suffering caused by attachment necessary for happiness?

-yuri

17. #17 willywagpole, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    It is extremely hard for most but quite possible. You can learn love freely without being attached to that person, in a way Love Everyone Unconditionally.

Real Love and Romantic love are completely different things.
    Here are some links better explaining my understanding of all this.
    http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.com.au/2006/01/bud...
    http://www.drukpa-canaria.org/index.php?option=com...
    http://kadampalife.org/2012/02/14/love-attachment-...
    If it wasn't for these teachings me and my ex would of killed each other, Yet now we are like Best friends again learning and practicing all these spiritual teachings. It has helped unlocked something greater a higher purpose than Romance.

True Love in a way is Letting go of all Judgement and Accepting everyone without expectations.
    (There are 100s of different ways to put it, Just my 2 cents)

18. The matrix is all about mind control. It realizes not everyone responds to the same stimuli, so there's CNN, Fox, Pepsi, Coke...

Monsanto has been getting a lot of push-back of late. I noticed the NFL network had a a big push advertising RoundUp. The logo was centered at the back of the set, always visible between the hosts. This is but one example of semi-subliminal programming

19. why would Monsanto exist in the matrix? It makes no sense. Couldn't they just program the food to be Poison?

-yuri

20. #20 Deleted member 646086, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    People filter the world through their own ego, and often try to appeal to some sort of demographic be it co-workers/bosses, friends, girls, etc and the media heavily influences people and shows them what is “appealing, attractive, cool” in society. Sadly humans often don't challenge their own egos nor try to be their own person, and conform to standards set by the assholes of the world.