Oregon goes legal on July 1st, stresses rules for recreational use

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, Jun 24, 2015.

1. <h2>Oregon Liquor Control Commission stresses rules for recreational pot use</h2>Created on Monday, 22 June 2015 14:28 | Written by The Times | [​IMG]

<h6>Marijuana use and possession becoming legal July 1, but many limits still apply. </h6><hr>[​IMG]What's Legal campaign wants to 'educate before you recreate' as legalized personal marijuana use and possession arrives July 1.

When recreational marijuana possession and use becomes legal for adults on
    July 1, it doesn't mean that all boundaries around pot use will go up in
    smoke.
    The Oregon Liquor Control Commission has launched the “What's Legal Oregon” campaign to make sure no one is hazy about the new rules for personal use and possession. Oregon voters legalized recreational marijuana use last November.
    Here are the OLCC's main points to remember:
    [*] Marijuana use and possession is only legal if you are age 21 or older. [*] You can only use marijuana at home or on another private property. Public use is prohibited, including in a vehicle on a public road or right-of-way. [*] The legal possession limit is up to 8 ounces of usable marijuana at home and up to 1 ounce away from home. [*] The limit for recreational marijuana growers is up to four plants, which must not be visible to the public. [*] Driving under the influence of marijuana remains illegal. [*] You can share or give away recreational marijuana to other adults. You cannot sell or buy marijuana in any form until licensed retail shops open, which is expected to occur in 2016. Retail rules are still being made. [*] You can't take marijuana across state lines, even to or from Washington, where marijuana also is legal. [*] You are allowed to make and consume edible marijuana products at home, and they may be given or received as gifts for consumption in private places. See OLCC's campaign at WhatsLegalOregon.com.

2. YAS! OreGROWN!

3. Hell yeah dude!!!! Legalize that shit!!!!!!!!

4. Congrats Oregon!

5. I agree that four plants isn't a lot but it should still be enough to aid a medical patient.
    Of course in my state a quarter lands you in jail with a huge fine, perhaps I just have hemp envy. <3

6. I understand where you're coming from, no place should be that strict against weed but this kind of a slap to the face by cutting down 3/4 of the medical limit before while the law argued MMJ wouldn't be effected. I guess it's just one city though but still I didn't vote for the law which may seem crazy but I knew there would be some consequences

7. Agreed they are putting ridiculous 'bumpers' (think bowling) to placate the people against it, when in truth the people against it could just not smoke it.
    Is there a limit to how much alcohol you can make in your home? Not unless you sell it without tax.
    Is there a limit to how much tobacco can be grown by a distributor? Nope.

And those two things kill you slowly over time.

I just don't understand the whole thing, it makes my head hurt.

8. I just wish us as people living around these areas had more of a say for what effects our lives instead of a shitty city counsel. Lol

9. The reason they say they did this is because less than a fifth of a percent of people called cops complaining about odor. 17 people and now medical growers vcan only grow 4 plants per residence and if somebody calls the cops about smell you can be fined $250. This is medicine but I guess 17 people have the right to effect all of us

10. So I guess we should limit how much fertilizer and mulch is used. Those both smell horrible. :/

11. #12 Green Wizard, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
    Oregon State rep. Ann Lininger House District 38 writes an opinion piece in the Portland Tribune:

My View: Now that pot's legal: A transition, and a big opportunity for Oregon

Created on Thursday, 09 July 2015 07:00 | Written by Ann Lininger | Print

0 Comments

Late last month, state Rep. Andy Olson, Rep. Carl Wilson and I brought two cannabis bills to a vote in the Oregon House: House Bill 3400 helps implement voters' decision to legalize adult use of cannabis; House Bill 2041 levies the tax on this product at the point of retail sale.

Both bills passed by strong margins that reflect the bipartisan teamwork to support legalization.

Effective since July 1, Oregonians over the age of 21 may legally grow, possess and consume limited amounts of cannabis. Whatever position you took on Ballot Measure 91 - the November 2014 ballot measure legalizing responsible adult use - this is a big transition for Oregon.

It is a big opportunity, too. Oregon's cannabis market has an estimated annual value of around $1 billion. Some believe legal cannabis will be our state's most valuable agricultural product.

As we move toward legalization nationwide - voters in five more states are expected to consider the issue in 2016 - Oregon businesses could enjoy significant sales opportunities.

As co-chair of the Oregon Legislature's Joint Committee to Implement Measure 91, I have worked with a strong team of lawmakers and community members to craft legislation that will help legal businesses to thrive, reduce illegal activity and protect families and communities. We submitted a package of five bills to the Legislature.

Here are some of the key provisions:

• The Oregon Liquor Control Commission will be the primary state agency in charge of adult-use cannabis sales.

• New product testing standards will protect consumers from contaminants and help people know the potency of what they consume.

• Labeling and packaging rules will require child-resistant packaging and prevent marketing to children.

• Tracking requirements will discourage diversion of product into the illegal market.

• Local communities may choose to prohibit some kinds of cannabis businesses. If they take that path, they will not be eligible for cannabis tax revenue.

• Local governments may allow recreational sales to begin starting in October 2015.

• Reclassification of some cannabis-related crimes and new expunction opportunities will help people get past convictions for conduct that is no longer illegal.

• A public education effort will help prevent cannabis use by young people.

• An environmental task force will track water and energy use by growers and suggest steps to encourage careful use of these resources.

As Oregon ends prohibition of cannabis and begins regulating it instead, we will likely need to make more adjustments in our laws. Fortunately, the strong teamwork we established this session in the Joint Committee to Implement Measure 91 will help us as we proceed.

I hope you will keep me posted on how legalization is going in our community and any steps you think we should take moving forward.

Ann Lininger represents House District 38, including Lake Oswego and Southwest Portland, in the Oregon Legislature. Lininger, who previously was a Clackamas County commissioner, lives in Lake Oswego with her husband and children

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/10-opinion/266240-139336-my-view-now-that-pots-legal-a-transition-and-a-big-opportunity-for-oregon-

12. so if it's in your vehicle or I go on vacation to Oregon and have weed in the car I'm busted.how do they expect the stores to operate when they outlaw transportation to your home.

13. I think you mis-read that. You just can't USE it in your car. You can certainly possess it....up to an Oz. You can buy, possess but you can't drive under the influence, or use it in your vehicle, or transport back across a state line.

14. So today is 9/28 and in 3 more days I can legally walk into a store/dispensary and buy up to 1/4 oz per day. I can't believe this is happening......ha ha. Well....sort of maybe. I moved here specifically because of the relaxed view (and to escape California), and it took 9 yrs since I moved here.....but ths will be worth the wait. Also got some youngun's sprouting...legally I might add.... :^ )