TPP Passes Senate. Obama to Sign Away Our Freedom.....Find God.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by DivineVictoryX, Jun 23, 2015.

1. From what I understand the TPP has a couple controversial sections that we know about and a lot of stuff we don't know about.

First has to do with longer parents I believe for medications which I personally disagree with. In addition there is some sketchy shit about IP and internet that I would definitely prefer not to be in the bill. A lot of people are opposed to stronger ISDS provisions which have to do with international courts. Essentially a business can sue a foreign country if they feel that a nation is purposely being unfair to them with their policies.

Say for example nike opens a store in China, but the Chinese decide they don't want Nike in their country for whatever reason. Then the Chinese open up a huge state run shoe store right next to the nike store where they are basically giving shoes out for free just to run nike out of business. The ISDS allows Nike to sue the Chinese government for damages due to their unfair restrictive business policies. The courts work by appointing one judge from each country and a neutral third party judge from outside of either country. Many people are worried that the new ISDS principles in the TPP will lead to undoing of many economic, environmental, and public safety regulations in many of the countries when businesses claim they are unfair. The thing is we already have very similar ISDS provisions from NAFTA in place so it most likely wouldn't be very different from how the system currently works. The US has currently never lost an ISDS case to date I believe. I'm not gonna say that the ISDS can't be abused, but many of the notions about the ISDS are way overblown and border on fear mongering.

One of the unfortunate aspects of trade deals is by necessity they are very secret. Think of it this way. America is gonna ask for a bunch of shit they know other countries will say no to. That's how you bargain. Start high so you have some wiggle room. If you release the full TPP then you lose leverage at the negotiating table. This is an issue I find myself to be very torn on. On one hand I understand why it must be secretive but on the other hand I find myself very skeptical of the whole thing. Overall, I think the TPP based on what I've seen so far has many problems and gives too much power to corporations, but ultimately is not gonna lead to some kind of downward spiral like many fearmongerers would have you believes. Of course I'm no expert so I'm not 100 percent on everything I've said, but I figured I would share what I've learned about the TPP so far with you since you seem interested.

2. If god were real then he wouldnt let this ultimate evil called the TPP pass and "destroy our american lives" or whatever lol

3. What's so bad about. Why do you not believe in it?

4. The TPP? I know its hard to convey sarcasm through text lol but im just saying if the TPP was as bad as some people convey it to be then oh lowdy almighty wouldnt let it pass

5. that's not true

If God existed he wouldn't interfere. Life is our journey. If we do it right we got to heaven

-yuri