Removing the Confederate Flag

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Vicious, Jun 23, 2015.

1. #41 forty winks, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
    Here's another one -

[​IMG]

NVM, maybe this is the one you said you already saw.

2. Where does it stop? The flag is an easy target, do you guys want every confederate statue, named school, park and everything southern culture removed or changed?

3. Yea, well I have lived around this all of my life. So, it's something that many have to do, especially the victim's families that will always be traumatized by this. Hopefully, they continue to have the strength to overcome this which they are strongly doing.

4. No. No one asked for that. That will always be a part of history, and it is a historic town for that reason... I mean that's where the Civil War began and the monuments there tell that narrative. People weren't running around with statues torturing people unlike the flag.

5. The CF is a living and breathing history and still hating in the present, while the other stuff is in the past and simply tells the story?

6. #46 Lenny., Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    It has everything to do with sensibilities. Flags are inanimate objects that can't have prejudices or biases. Only people can ascribe their own meaning to the flags. Every Confederate battle flag can disappear tomorrow, but the culture, attitudes, pride, and social ills will still be there.

Damn the shooter. He is a piece of shit who committed a heinous act of violence, his opinions and actions should hold no merit in society.

Also he sounds like he spent a lot of time on /pol/, right vicious? [​IMG]
    I can imagine they were probably commending him.

7. You make it sound like all it does it hate. Again, just because some racist use it as a banner doesn't mean everybody that uses it is racist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Can't get rid of everything. This is just the beginning. I am sure overtime things will slowly change and it will become a modern city. They were holding on to the history for so long and with the population growing, they won't have a choice but to reconstruct the city in the future. So either way, it's inevitable.

9. #49 LoveisKind, Jun 23, 2015
    Most people don't see this many flags at once lol. Literally the amount of people who have this openly out in public is a smaller number than you think. Those that do have it are the same kinds of people I described earlier.

10. We hate the fucker there too. If anything he's probably stormfront. Premeditated murder of a church is sick, you can't slice it any other way. He fucking sat with them, then came back. Absolutely sick. We're extra salty he brought on this heap of shit, both the attack on southern culture and our guns.

11. #51 Lenny., Jun 23, 2015
    What needs to be reconstructed?

It is a modern city like any other. Charleston has serious historical significance in America. It's where the civil war started for goodness' sake. South Carolina was the first state to declare independence from Britain. Charleston is one of the oldest settlements of British North America. It's got great architecture, culture, food, people. It's modern yet still cultured. I'd highly recommend visiting it to anyone

Good to know it's not a mossad-backed false flag like everything else....

On a side note I literally need glasses to read these damn posts now

12. I actually live there.... the population is growing and there is a growing concern of how the city will evolve. Students that go to college there get hit by cars sometimes and the streets are overly crowded and narrow. I can say it will not stay the way it is forever.

13. That's because it's so old. We have the same problem up here too. The roads were made way before cars came along. It's quite charming if you ask me. But I can't imagine it's a problem outside of downtown Charleston. Well I know it's not, I've driven there.

14. #54 LoveisKind, Jun 23, 2015
    A lot of the roads of the tri-county area need a lot of work and interstates need to be expanded too. That's just what I know since I actually keep up with news and such.

15. #55 Lenny., Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, well you surely know about it more than I. I'm gonna stop going off topic now

16. I am for removing it. I don't understand the desire to fly it to be honest. At best it represents a treasonous nation that hasn't existed for 150 years, and at worst it represents systematic oppression of an entire race of people. History is not always worth celebrating. In fact isn't the main point of learning history is that it won't be repeated?

I am usually against PC bullshit, but this thing should probably go. It is viewed as a symbol of oppression by millions, and it is time to get rid of it.

17. #57 Felt, Jun 23, 2015
    Removing the confederate flag against the will of those who put it there in the first place is a violation of their free speech. Whether the flag is considered racist or not, is irrelevant. Flags do not present a physical danger. Unless, someone is chucking a spear at you with a flag on it. But, generally, confederate flags are found in garages, back of vehicles, in front of homes, etc.

Haha, well, you may found one at ku klux klan party every now and then.[​IMG]

We may not always agree with people's way of thinking, especially those that are considered extremist. But, everyone has a right to express themselves.

18. #58 travilanche, Jun 23, 2015
    <h3> Posted <abbr>Today, 05:13 AM</abbr>
    </h3>"Removing the confederate flag against the will of those who put it there in the first place is a violation of their free speech. Whether the flag is considered racist or not, is irrelevant. Flags do not present a physical danger. Unless, someone is chucking a spear at you with a flag on it. But, generally, confederate flags are found in garages, back of vehicles, in from of homes, etc.
    Haha, well, you may found one at ku klux klan party every now and then.[​IMG]
    We may not always agree with people's way of thinking, especially those that are considered extremist. But, everyone has a right to express themselves."

I do understand what you are saying, but I don't agree. If you are flying the flag in your yard that is one thing. But flying it at the state capital is another thing entirely. Individuals are entitled to express feelings of racism if that is what they truly feel. State governments however, are not.

P.s. How do you quote someone in safari in this new format

19. I was just trying to understand what love was saying, by rephrasing it for my benefit. The meds were kicking in hard.

20. Everyone has the right to raise any flag they want.

However the dark past that surrounds that flag is not worth it imo. Freedom or inequality. Not a hard decision. Fuck the south.