Removing the Confederate Flag

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Vicious, Jun 23, 2015.

1. I just don't get why people are pretending it's not about what this one guy did in South Carolina. The Confederate Flag as a symbol has been around for 150+ years, why is it suddenly now a problem? Because one whacko posed with it before going on a massacre?
    Slavery was an important issue in the Civil War, but it was also bound up in a bunch of other inter-related disagreements about where the States as a country was headed. I personally don't identify with it, being Canadian, but if someone feels it means something to them why shouldn't they be allowed to use it?
    As for it being flown in front of public buildings, I think it should be up to the individual States to decide about that.
    My main point is it isn't this huge symbol of evil some are making it out to be.

2. I'd take a prideful nationalist society over this culturally Marxist progressive shit any day. We should be growing and helping our neighbors grow, not deconstructing our society in favor of thought crime, trigger warnings and constantly worrying about hurting people's feels that are waiting and looking for something to react too

3. Well Said.

4. I am from tn and I think the flag should come down

5. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

6. In the week after nine people were shot dead at Emanuel AME Church in South Carolina, six churches with predominately black congregations in five Southern states have burned. Three of the fires are being investigated as arson.

The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are working with local authorities to find those who set them.

“They're being investigated to determine who is responsible and what motives are behind them,” FBI spokesman Paul Bresson told BuzzFeed News. “I'm not sure there is any reason to link them together at this point.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/...

7. Yes because the actions of one dumb ass with spray paint makes them all liars. Talk about swallowing a camel and choking on a gnat.

8. That's incredibly unfortunate. Not sure how they don't think 5 churches burning doesn't link an M.O.

I don't know what you were implying before you idiom. It's not just a couple people with spray paint and who would be liars? In this instance its a fair sized portion of the student body pushing for it to be removed, it's not only people vandalizing. A shit ton of places are trying to rename parks, buildings and remove statues in reaction to this.

9. I don't know. I made a stupid mistake by not reading the article. I was pissed off about the gay marriage thread in General and wasn't really in a good place. I looked at the pic in the article and went off. So fucking stupid. I'm sorry. I need to take a little time to get rid of the negativity that thread caused. You didn't deserve that and once again I'm sorry. So stupid.

10. I appreciate that a lot, man. Absolutely forgiven, though there isn't much to be sorry for, we all make mistakes and have our opinions. I'd like to add that I caught and appreciated the small distinction in the other thread "Excluding the states rights folks". I'm aware of my prejudices but I don't believe I'm bigoted. I often look at politics amorally and remove it from a personal level. I don't in any way condemn you or my gay friends nor wish them ill will or a lack of rights. I do believe that gay marriage rights are long due but I agree with HBGBUB in that it wasn't done properly. Although that could be an ignorance on my part not completely understanding law.

11. Whats wrong with a confederate flag i dont find it offensive at all . It signifies pride

12. Its not racist just alotta liberals find it racist no suprise there tho

13. liberals find it racist so they can promote racism, because the minorities vote for them

14. Funny how the KKK is holding a rally at the state grounds to keep the flag up. What were you saying now?

15. Just because racist people use the flag doesn't make the flag racist. We're saying the same thing now we've said from the start.

16. some idiots on twitter think the flag represents racism and hate. Idk man, freedom of speech, no matter what your beliefs are you can display them provided they arent infringing anyone elses rights

17. Considering that it is a Rep. Gov., Rep Presidential candidates etc. how do you twist it into a liberal thing?
    Ah, I get it, a couple of troll posts. [​IMG]

18. Just because they're wrong doesn't make them trolls. Come on.

19. You've not seen some of their other posts then. :smoke: