Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Is anyone you know actually addicted to weed?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Venatrix, Jun 20, 2015.

1. This is a serious question.

Sure, I smoke multiple times a day, every day, and I haven't gone more than about three weeks without smoking since I started six years ago.  I'm habituated, but I'm not addicted.  I miss it if I stop, but I can skip a couple days without more trouble than a couple longing thoughts of doobies.  I'm about to quit for a year when I move to China next month.  I'll miss it I'm sure, but I'm not worried about it.

But I have a buddy who's straight up dependent.  Even she's acknowledged she has a problem.  She smokes from the moment she wakes up till the moment she passes back out, bongs on blunts on bongs etc.  This includes getting really high on her breaks at work.  She works in the medical field.  I don't know how much weed she smokes on a weekly or monthly basis, but she picks up every other day or so from two different people, one of whom she trades sexual favors and other stuff for the weed.  She's been smoking for longer than I have, and she's quit several times years ago.  But the last time she tried to get clean for a job, she kept saying every bowl was her last one for weeks before the drug test (a laughable effort because it took her more than two months to piss clean the last time), but she never managed to stop.  She didn't end up getting the job.

Do you know anyone with an actual problem with weed?

2. Lol, I'm pretty addicted I feel like. I haven't hone over 48 hours since I started smoking, two years ago. But I go on vacation this week; and I'm going dry for a week. I'll let you know if I have any bad affects.

3. If I have weed on me, I smoke it everyday, im usually pissed when I run out of weed, id say im addicted and when I don't have weed I can get by just fine of course but I definitely want to have the weed

4. I feel I am addicted, the same way I am addicted to beer, sex, money, coffee...I enjoy things that make my life more fun.

5. Addiction is a funny word. I know plenty of people (myself included) that would need a damn good reason to quit (gun to my mother's head or something). So i would classify that as some form of addiction. But It's impossible to develop physical dependance on pot, so in a sense it's impossible to become addicted. But as for psychological dependance, i would say that yes i am addicted to cannabis. Just like i'm addicted to sex and food and other stuff that makes me feel really really good. However, i do have physical withdrawals from both sex and food, and only psychological withdrawals from weed (slight anxiety/irritability/depression). So i would say that both food and sex have a higher addiction potential than cannabis.

6. I am an addict and always will be. And I've decided to smoke again after a 12yr hiatus. But not in the physical dependency sense. You can't from smoking marijuana as there is no withdrawal. But like others have said you can get addicted to anything if you have a propensity to become fixated on a particular thing. In a way addiction is kind of like OCD in that sense. I am addicted to something all the time. Sex, exercise, work, hobbies, anything I'm really into at that specific day,week,or year. So while I am an addict and I can let ANYTHING get a bit out of hand I have decided to do what I've call a forced moderation. I'm planning on a trip to Colorado in August. for a week to smoke bud again. I have no desire to drink, use opiates, or anything else and haven't for 12yrs. but the desire to smoke bud has never left and honestly it's starting to drive me nuts. So I figure if I have no connections at home and limit my usage to a weekly trip once a year I could scratch this itch and not let it effect my family or my life I have grown to love.

7. #7 beenstoned, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    The only time I've ever quit burning voluntarily was to rid my self of real addiction to hard shit.

Now I'm only using the ganj and you couldn't pay me to quit. Is that addicted?

8. I'm totally addicted to pot. Yes I call it pot.

9. I find it extremely difficult to smoke in moderation. But I'm job hunting now so hopefully this enforced t break will help me develop a better relationship with pot. What's strange is it seems that some people are like me and want to smoke 24/7 and some people are fine with once a week. I also don't hear much about people transitioning from OCD level use to weekly use. Would be nice to know how anyone successfully did that, because once I'm employed I don't want a 24/7 habit again.

10. I'm addicted to youuu..

11. im not gonna lie in the past i've done some fiendish shit that only addicts on a hard drug would be doing.  But i was a young dickhead(still young but we can all grow right?) 

12. In my mind, just about anything that is significant and beneficial is likely gonna be addicting. This can be a wife, or a TV, or anti-depressants.
    I'm personally obsessed with weed, but when I stop, I get by OK.
    But I'd rather not stop.

13. I'm addicted to well, escaping my reality. Smoking bud helps and I have gone without for several weeks at a time but I enjoy it so I usually end up buying more pretty quick. I've been having IBS symptoms and smoking a lot more than usual to help the pain and so I can eat breakfast and stuff without rolling around of the floor on the verge of throwing up. That has been my excuse as of late.

14. I could definitely stop smoking weed...but I hella don't want to. Having a full time job makes it easier to skip seshes tho due to just wanting to eat and pass the fuck out when coming home

15. idk if I'm psychically addicted but i''m def mentally addicted..stopped for about 2 weeks now and I always think about it, waiting for that first toke, literally like a kid before christmas. I can sometimes taste it in my mouth and when I day dream I think of how high I could be, or when i'm talking to people sober i'm like damn this sucks I wish I was high so I could be as dumb as them, sometimes I even just sit n doodle weed shit without even realizing it and i'm like oh shit this is NSFW lol.

I got a rasta voodoo doll hangin from my rear view and I wear a potleaf lanyard to my job and get mad jealous when I hear people talking about smoking. Shit I even stopped listening to rap for a little bit because it made me wanna smoke so bad..fuck i'm addicted!

16. it is psychologically addictive but it won't give you negative effects quitting besides your relationship with Mary Jane.

Quitting for me was always about getting higher, so I just stick to that. I know I can get buzzed on the daily, but getting that WTF experience - mandates an extensive break from the herb.

17. I've known people in the past who would steal or sell their stuff to buy weed, I consider that a real addiction.

18. #18 OOTROLLOO, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    I'm addicted to ganja in the same way I'm addicted to coffee.

I don't NEED it, I'm not dependent on it. But it sure is nice to have.

19. I myself nor anybody I know is physically addicted to weed. Weed is amazing, but not to the point where it controls your body!

20. #20 C4S34C3, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
    Where we all get screwed up is when we use the word addicted to describe two different things.

Physically dependent is different from being an addict. The chemical hooks that are present in some drugs like cocaine and opiates like heroine and morphine cause a physical sickness when stopped (withdrawal). Now being physically dependent on a drug doesn't make you an addict contrary to popular belief. And drug councillors will never admit this but someone who is only chemically dependent can go through withdrawal in 3-5 days and return to a normal life where they can very well likely drink or even smoke weed socially without using it habitually. Physical "addiction" is easy to beat, go through withdrawal and you're fine.

Psychologic addiction is what should be referred to as an addiction. This is where an individual craves something even though no physical hooks are present. They feel the desire that can be much stronger than any physical withdrawal can produce. This can pertain to anything from sex, to drugs, work, eating disorders, exercise, ect.

This form of addiction isn't fully understood and treatment is quite difficult. Scientists aren't even exactly sure what causes it. It is sometimes hereditary but not always, studies have shown that it is strongly tied to childhood trauma, and most interestingly is strongly environmental.

I'll touch on the environmental part real quickly because it is really interesting. Henry Anslinger perpetuated the war on drugs by pointing to a study where a rat was put in a cage with a water bottle and a water bottle laced with heroin. The rat consumed the laced bottle of water habitually until it died every time. Anslinger put this on TV in the early '60s which was crazy for TV in that era and said "See, heroin causes heroin addiction."

A professor in the '70s (sorry can't remember his name) asked the question "What would the rat do if you gave him something else to do besides just the option to either get high or not get high? So, he built rat park. Rat park had the best food, big open space, tunnels to play in, toys to interact with, and more importantly other rats. The rats were in rat heaven, they could play, eat the best food, have rat sex all day, whatever. They then introduced both the laced and non-laced water and while the rats did use the laced water none of them used it habitually.

Then he asked what would happen if the rats were put back in the closed environment just as in Anslinger's test? All of them started using it habitually.

So what would happen if they were put back into rat park? At first they did use the laced water habitually but what shocked the researchers was that they started using it less and less until they used it no more habitually than before being chemically dependent. It seems Anslinger was wrong. Drugs don't cause drug addiction.

The professor thought he was on the verge of breaking the code to addiction and asked the university for more grant money. He was denied any more money and was told if he didn't stop his tests he would be fired. Why? Because it didn't perpetuate the lie presented by Anslinger on the "War on Drugs" Universities get grant money from the government and thought their funding would get cut off.

This study isn't the only one either. Another scientist while studying the behavior of intoxication of animals saw that all animals like to get intoxicated. Elephants like to eat fermented fruit and in Mexico a group of them even broke into a warehouse filled with alcohol and got so drunk they went on a rampage and killed 5 people. Deer like eating pot. Mongoose like hallucinogenics. But what was weirder is that some animals only got intoxicated when stressed. Water Buffalo in Vietnam tried a native hallucinogenic plant and didn't like it, so never used it again. But during the Vietnam war these same water buffalo used the plant habitually to escape their reality.

Switzerland is probably the best study on humans. They legalized drugs and made hard drugs like heroin free at clinics. The addicts were able to increase or decrease their dosage as they saw fit as long as it wasn't a lethal dose. So of course the addicts started upping their dosages. But eventually they stopped upping it on their own and started to lower their dosages. The government would also go to their specialized field say they were a mechanic before becoming an addict and they would go to a mechanic shop and say if you hire this addict we'll pay 1/2 his wages for a year.

So what happened? Well first they noticed that robbery and car theft dropped 97% in 18 months. There were no overdoses because the addicts didn't have to guess how many mg of heroin they were getting. They didn't have open sores on their arms like the addicts in other countries because the Heroin was pure and not cut with other drugs or even in some instances even ground up concrete. And most importantly after 3 years 96% were free of their addiction. The other 4% greatly reduced their starting mg strength. All by building them a rat park.

We even see this in America to some extent. The 12 steps of AA and NA basically teach you how to build their own rat park. And continues to be the most reliable treatment for addicts.

Sorry about the crazy huge post but hope you enjoyed. I love this topic and could talk about it all day. Lol