Muslim blades? Ramadan and Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by TickTockCroc, Jun 18, 2015.

1. #1 TickTockCroc, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    Hey blades (in particular, other Muslim blades)!

So for Muslims, it's the holy month of Ramadan, a month in which Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. The month changes every year, and this year, it is right in the peak of summer, where the daylight hours stretch for so long. 

I'm a Muslim, but not devout. I'm very liberal and come from a very liberal family. Basically, we have faith, but we're not overly religious. Kind of like a Christian family who doesn't go to church. Lol. But, I like to treat this month with respect.

Personally, I don't fast. I have done so in the past, but feel it really effects my health. Especially at this point in my life, I can't compromise my health. I do however take time to feed the homeless every day, and stay away from alcohol for the month. 

So anyways, my main point: What do you guys make of smoking marijuana in Ramadan? Do you think it's acceptable? To non-muslim blades: all intoxicants are forbidden in Islam, alcohol being clearly described, however, marijuana/hashish is never mentioned, which is why it is quite a big debate (seeing as many natives in the middle east are hashish smokers). It really goes down to whether you see marijuana as an intoxicant in the same manner as alcohol or not. 

I find it helps me with my anxiety and depression. I also have PTSD (although not severe), which it helps with. However, I don't want to be making all these reasons just to justify myself smoking during this month. I looked at a website just now, and saw a guy debating with scholars in the comment section, telling them to give him one logical reason as to why it's ok to take Xanax or opiates and not marijuana, and the scholar couldn't answer him.

I personally do not see it the same as alcohol, and don't really see it as an intoxicant, in regards to what I use it for.

Any other Muslim blades wana chime in on this? Anybody continue smoking during Ramadan, anyone completely stop? Reasons? 
    Thanks.

2. Hi. I'm an ex-muslim but I have some knowledge on the subject

The Quran is very specific about the prohibition of intoxicants - i.e. alcohol is bad

But it doesn't mention any other intoxicants so you're gonna have to think logically

Any intoxicants should be sinful as long as it's harmful. This includes tobacco yet about every man in West Asia smokes

But cannabis is barely harmful and has medicinal attributes. So logically speaking it should be fine, even during Ramadan. Although praying while intoxicated is clearly a sin

There's either a sura or Hadith describing how a group of men came to pray intoxicated and it upset the Prophet. It didn't specify what they were intoxicated on tho

Ambiguity should be in favor of the more conservative view when it comes to religion (IMO)

And don't worry too much. If I remember correctly the only requirements for eternal life is believing in God, Prophet and the day of judgement

And don't befriend or accept help from non-Muslims

Good luck

3. #3 slysly, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
    Assalamu Alikom, and howdy. 

I'm a Muslim, and I'm waiting exactly15 minutes to break my fast with a nice bong rip. [​IMG]

Since I converted later in life, I probably have the most warped view on Islam that doesn't make anysense to believers or nonbelievers (but makes all the sense to me, so isn't that what really matters?). 

Intoxicants = bad, yes, forbidden.

However, cannibis, is never, ever mentioned by name anywhere in Islam, it just gets lumped into intoxicants by people who have never used it. These same people chain smoke and drink coffee by the ocean.

This is how I see it, yes cannabis can be intoxicating, if you take a ton of it (the same can be said about just about everything that goes in your mouth). Coffee will get you insanely tweaked if you do too much of it, and imo is an intoxicant at this point.  I see cannabis and coffee as the same type of substance.  I think the only reason weed is "haram", "officially" by the scholars, is because of the criminalization of it..

In short, I don't smoke during the day, I treat it like tea or coffee (or nicotine, if you indulge). Even before I became Muslim, I never saw weed as a "drug" or something that will get me "intoxicated", like canned air. 

Well 15 more minutes......got some chicken waiting for me too...hmmmhmmm *continues staring at a picture of fried chicken*

Ramadan Kareem, bladers.

*eagerly awaits to be yelled by every Muslim in the world*

That's a contradiction in the Quran. One sura says that you should stay true to your family even if they're unbelievers meanwhile another sura decrees that a believer should ostracize himself from non-believers even if they are his own family

6. OOH that. I've heard something along the lines of that, though there seems to be different degrees of "ostracizing" from non-believers. I like to think that the latter was a mistranslation (since Arabic doesn't translate to English well. English is very concrete, in terms of language. Arabic....is extremely vague sometimes). I think people take it very literally to hate all non believers. Some just avoid them. I was told that means you shouldn't favor non-believers over believers.

Which I don't agree with, 100%. I've met plenty of Muslim "brothers", who I wouldn't lend a penny too, and can't believe they even call themselves that. Except when it comes to immediate family, family is always to come first, even non-believers.

Personally, I would favor a Satanist, that I've known my entire life, and has proven a worthy friend since grade school. Over a Muslim "brother", who is I barely just met, and keeps telling me to trust him since he is a Muslim, when really, he just wants to bum on my couch. I think a lot of the negativty in Islam comes from people who try to translate classical Arabic, into Modern English, and wonder why it doesn't sound right. Then they put their own opinions to fill in the blank.

Also:

This is the most delicious roll of bread I have ever had lol. Always feels that way after a day of not eating.

7. #7 Deleted member 839659, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

The notion tht Arabic can't be accurately translated is commonly heard but I don't agree with it. To use a childish argument : we can translate hieroglyphics but not classical Arabic?

As I'm fluent in Arabic I looked up two verses; 9.23 and 31.15. The English translation in both is correct

If Arabic was in fact impossible to translate correctly that would be poor planning on God's part. Also the Quran states that it was handed down in Arabic "so that all may understand it"

edit : verses 9.23 and 31.15 were relevant to the topic of discussion, not random verses

8. Toke for Allah!

9. I think during ramadan one should abstain from smoking weed. I'm not muslim, but I have a lot of muslim friends and understand the religion (from my perspective, of course). I think you should fast as well, I often fast too, just because of the health benefits.

10. so am I a tweeker for being addicted to coffee?

I won't deny its effected my health. Been trying to quite

-yuri

11. Yoooo r u doing the same this year? I can open my fast in 4 mins I'm still wondering if I should smoke. I haven't smoked since Sunday (Ramadan started after sunset on Sunday)

12. I would suggest following what your own mind/body dictates, rather than antiquated religious ideology...

13. Some use psychedelics for spirituality, Some refrain the the use when focusing on spirituality.

Cannabis comes from nature, It was here before religion, it goes beyond and is naturally closer to us then religion.
    IMO there is no right or wrongs, only experience that will make you wiser.