No-till gardening with Dingus

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Dingus, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Awesome! Subbed [​IMG]

This Picture is Amazing by the way.. How they are all reaching for the Light adorable, In a way its like puppys looking outside a window.

post-475491-14345930227248.jpg

2. welcome juju!! Thanks ya I'm really intrigued by how plants move towards light. They literally grow (cell division) to change direction. Sunflowers are really interesting to see this with and a more intense version of growth for movement would be the trapping mechanisms for dionaea and other carnivorous plants like some sundews.

3. Hey Dingus, very nice set up. Have you tried going out at night and checking for slugs/snails? The little bastards are notorious for eating little plants and low hanging vegetation.

4. #64 Dingus, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    7557rb said <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >Hey Dingus, very nice set up. Have you tried going out at night and checking for slugs/snails? The little bastards are notorious for eating little plants and low hanging vegetation.
    </blockquote>hey Rb! Thanks man I'm in love with my setup to be honest haha. It could always be better though (dreaming of a sealed indoor room ahhh).

I have not gone out at night to check yet I really should! I don't think it's slugs or snails though because there's damage on the higher leaves. There's a little on lower leaves but it doesn't seem to be confined to any one area on the plants. Whatever it is is also leaving the Danish gold alone as well as the plants in 5 gallon pots. Only damage on the two little monks.

I have seen slug/snail trails though and even on one low leaf close to the edge of the pot but it didn't stop to eat, just slimed all over the leaf and left..:wacko:

5. I've heard diatomaceous earth is a safe deterrent, bit of a mess though

6. Yep, I'll get it from my wife sometime today and send it over.

7. Oddly the slugs aren't causing any problems. I see a nibbled on clover here and there but I think that's okay. They're decomposers so I think that's helpful in no till pots. Not so great indoors though, had some indoors last year and I just salted them individually on sight.

I found some holes on a mint clone I have inside and I looked on the other side of a leaf and there was a caterpillar!! So I think I've found the culprits for the holes in the two monks outside. Oddly though I still haven't found any caterpillars on the monks but I found some and leaf hoppers and thrips on the mint outside.. So I defoliated the mint a bunch and I'm going to do a neem/kelp tea tomorrow on everything. I'm out of neem oil right now gotta order some more!
    awesome!! Thanks funk I'd love to try it. Ive only had pesto one or two times in my life because thwyre almost all made with pine nuts and/or I don't know who made it can't ask someone about the ingredients. But I've always loved the smell of pesto being made ahh I'm hungry just thinking about it

8. You can use walnuts instead of pine nuts. I actually prefer walnuts when I make pesto. I had a hazelnut pesto once, and that was interesting, too.

9. Just an FYI in case you don't know. Make sure you get your DE from a gardening supply place and not the stuff they use in pool filters.

10. Hehe I'm allergic to those too. All nuts except the ones in my pants :blink:;)
    I'll make sure to get some from a nursery! What's different about it from pool supply though?

11. As I understand it, the pool stuff is heat treated and that changes the structure. I think that process makes the powder too big to harm the bugs. The idea is the ag DE is so fine and insoluble it gets into the cracks and joints of the bugs and tears them up and kills them.

[​IMG]

12. ahh I see that makes sense. That's also why you have to apply it in a salt shaker or something right?

13. I'd like to take this moment to introduce a new friend! Took a stop by the parking lot and picked up a legendary strain. Her name is The One! 1976 Highland Thai x 1971 Kandahar Afghani!! 1436483686519.jpg

And in the same baby cab finally got some reveg action going on. 1436483721363.jpg
    Might be kinda hard to tell but new leaf nodes are popping out of budsites. 1436483844551.jpg

Lastly a pic of somango#2 about a week in flowering or something. The GTxJoG is stretching a bunch which is problematic because the lights are already raised as high as they can go I might have to figure out a way to put them higher. 1436483932718.jpg

14. I just used a strainer and tapped the side, but the times I used it I didn't need much. That might be something you wanna google for best practices.

[​IMG]

15. Those holes in your girls are probably from leaf hoppers. They're just a nuisance bug.

16. I've seen their nasty excrement and the little green ones, potato leafhoppers. But I haven't seen many large ones. I didn't know they could tear up the leaves like that I thought they just suck the juice

17. I saw black dots on yours but mine don't have that. Thrips leave black poo.

18. ahhh I was always wondering what that was. I thought it was scale. I really need to order more neem/karanja oil. I was gonna get the gallon since its the best deal but I can't right now. I'll just have to order a quart or something

19. Spinosad is better for thrips. It gets into the plant material. Neem just covers it.

20. #80 Dingus, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    ladyluckybean said<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >Spinosad is better for thrips. It gets into the plant material. Neem just covers it.
    </blockquote> I thought spinosad was a kind of bacteria not a systemic insecticide? Does it work for leaf hoppers too? What about effect on bees and other beneficial insects?

Would this be sufficient? http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-252-Captain-Jacks-Concentrate/dp/B001VJBYMC

When are they going to fix quotes....