New at growing and need help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dannysteak, Jun 16, 2015.

1. What does it mean to "top it"

2. Literally, to cut the top of the plant off.

Look at the very newest growth at the very top of the plant, Ok?

Go down 1 set of leaves, then go just below these leaves and sever the stem between those leaves and the ones below that. Very simple and very beneficial for bushy growth.

Wet

3. You should watch a few YouTube videos on the subject before you attempt to top, just so you don't mess anything up. Looks great so far.

4. I watched some videos and I think I got it

5. Do you recommend lady bugs for a plant?

6. That depends on you. Lots of people use them, but I never have. Do some research into it before you go out and buy any.

7. I've caught a few in my garden, none of them seemed to stay on my plant longer than 30 mins
    I also noticed my plant is starting to bud, at least I think it is

8. Pictures. Take a picture of the plant node where the leaf grows off the stem there will be a pistol with two white hairs coming out. Get a close up.

9. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437673161.735933.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437673207.570566.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437673246.172729.jpg
    Is this male or female

10. Just refresh me, you have your plant outside? Seeing as it is still kinda early in the season I would say wait it out....but if it is starting to show sex early it tends to be male. I think it looks like a male too :( But, I would wait a little longer until those things get bigger and take another close shot. Not sure if it is swollen calyxs or the start of a banana. I think they can preflower before they flower. Keep an eye on it for now, but could just be a huge calyx about to spit out some white hairs.

11. this was a great asset for me when i was first starting. I still reference this site. nebula haze is awesome.

12. Oh yea, she is the one that writes all that stuff. I go there a lot too.

13. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437951733.683072.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437951753.151940.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1437951786.153978.jpg
    I believe my plant is female. I took the best photos I could but it's till hard to see. Small white hairs are growing from the ball like knots on the plant

14. Ok, that last picture looks like a female with orange hairs. Are they orange?

15. I noticed that there are small curling orange hairs on the branch lower but the one I took a picture of , they were white and kinda looked like the color of hair gel if that helps

16. #56 Sc00byD00bie, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    those hairs you see are not pistils (the female flower part). if you look closely you will see they are green not white.
    i dont see any flower parts yet in those pics.

edit: whats in the pic are called stipules. both male and female have them.

17. i definitely second this. From my experiences it can take a long time to get questions answered and often times there are different responses from different people. And i have also experienced some irritated/agitated responses from some people around here that are frankly too vague to help a noob. growweedeasy is a great starting point to get the foundation needed to adequately formulate a coherent/substantial question.

18. It's definitely female. The picture is hard to make out but their are distinct white hairs coming from a ball inbetween the branch

19. I hope it is not a ball. If it is like a small green ball it is male, but males don't have hairs. You probably mean a tear drop shaped pistol.