Need some brainstorming for venting a closet grow (smell)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Leviticus420, Jun 14, 2015.

1. My closet needs a way to be vented when I start my grow. Only problem is I can't cut a hole in the wall or the ceiling due to renting... The closet isn't close to the window, it's on the other wall (facing the closet it would be to my left) and it's the only window in that room (maybe 8 feet away). Air circulation won't be a problem, but the smell will be. I'll be growing 4-6 plants in the closet and need a way to kill the smell, preferably a way to do it discreetly (perhaps a small sized dryer vent hose on a carbon filter?) I'm on a budget so I'll be building a carbon filter for about $70.

I need a clever smoker idea on this one, as my cousin (roommate) is perfectly fine with me doing this, but our landlord likes to stop by and make visits occasionally. So I need a way to vent the smell out the window with little (catch a wiff on the breeze) or absolutely  ZERO smell, as well as the smell from the closet when I open it up to tend the plants. The closet has doors that you pull open and they slide on a track (not to the side, but outwards towards you and fold) so I figure the smell will be somewhat difficult to hide once they start flowering. Any ideas on how I should go about this? I can post pictures of the closet if need be.

2. If your landlord likes to visit, can you lock the closet? I hear good things about ona odor block but never used it. How are you planning on circulating the air with the carbon filter your building?

3. you'll need a carbon filter and 4'' or 6'' fan... It's the only way I really see it...

for venting, do it directly in your room and buy a dehumidifier or small fan to put in the window, or the best way : buy duct and hook it on the window.  The goal here will be to have negative pressure in your room, that way no air will come out of your room, it will only go in, so no smell will escape your room.

I found that DIY carbon filters don't really work unless you have only a micro grow like PC grow or space bucket...

How many plants will you have? what type of lighting?  if you have anything more than 250W HPS I would suggest a 6'' fan with speed controler hooked on a carbon filter.

And for your landlord, just don't let him in the apt unless he has work to do, and buy a lockable door knob for your bedroom's door. My landlady is a stupid bitch so she still open my locked bedroom door and locked cabinet door...

I used ONA paired with a DIY carbon filter (my very own shitty design  ;)  )  And you could smell my Purple Kush in Veg as soon as you opened the apt block's door... hahaha

ONA works, but not enough to make a grow anywhere near stealthy.

5. Thanks for the replies guys! I'm waiting for my phone to charge up so I can take a few pictures to show where everything is. The only way I could lock the closet is by putting a really tight chain around the knobs and using a pad lock haha. The door to the room does lock but its those old school like 50's - 70's style ones where you push the knob in and then turn, so I may go get a new door knob for it soon cause all you need to get in is a small screwdriver to pop the knob and bam! Your in the room.

I've actually looked at ona and will be considering it, as for air circulation, I've seen some pretty good stealth vents for windows that make them look like part of a window unit so if I can find a way to run the vents up around the top of the ceiling to the window I think that would solve that problem.

I did have an idea, I'll post some pictures and see what you guys can tell me and if it seems like it would work.

So do you think a DIY carbon filter (the one I'd like to make is from the book "Growing Elite Marijuana" as it's pretty big) would work for a closet space of 

L 4ft 6in

W 2ft 1in

H3ft 6in

the total square feet in the bottom half on my closet is 9.66 roughly (I have a shelf midway). yomandude after I really started looking at the closet I'm thinking 4 will be my max, also to help cut back on bills I've decided to try out a CFL grow and get 42w bulbs (I believe they are 100w equivalent) that give off 2,600 - 2,800 lumens and use 16 of those for around 42,000 total lumens. That'll be around 4,300 lumens per square foot. I do have a 150w HPS bulb, brand new, but my ballast is busted and don't have the money to sink into another right now, cause I'd like to have 2 for this grow but outta my price range at the moment sadly :(.

It's actually a rent house so not too worried about others smelling it besides the landlord. The room I'll be growing in is sort of a spare bedroom for some of our junk and clothes, plus a bed so I could stay in there with my ladies :). He's usually not nosey, just comes by to bullshit here and there, and most of everything is in good condition so no worries there! haha. Damn that sucks dude! You should give her the middle finger and tell her to sit on it and spin lmao.

6. Here's how the closet works. I took the panoramic picture so you could see what I'll be working with from the window to the closet. The door on the right is where you enter the room, and the door on the left goes to the bathroom off of the room.

So I was planning on a SOG grow as I believe it will help keep the plants height in check? (I'll be growing barney's Farm Vanilla kush since it only grows to about 2-3 ft) I did a rough measure estimate from the top of the buckets and if left growing normally would hit the bar under the shelf. Which is one reason (with many others!) Why I want to grow SOG.

Now my idea was to build 2 separate boxes, (out of plywood or something along that line) the top of the bottom box would slide over the shelf and be for vegging (the top going over the shelf would help keep light out of the flowering area as well as add some space to the shelf) and the top where the shelf is would be for flowering. Building these boxes would help me be able to keep the doors open, and more easily run the ventilation (for intake and outtake) through the room so I wouldn't have to push the vent hoses through the half inch of space under the door. As well as keep light in. I could cut holes on one side and place fans to pull air in, and a vent on the other side to pull the old air out to the carbon filter and out the window. Add some doors that slide or shut really well it'd be complete! What do you think? I also considered putting the outtake fans together for both boxes but figured that would defeat the purpose so they'd have their own individual ventilation systems.

Attached Files:

7. Nice big carbon filter for sure. The activated carbon can be bought at any pet store. Make sure to rinse the carbon in water before using. Other than that an air de-ionizer can be used as a secondary line of defense, even if you only run it while you have company over.