Poison ivy cures?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Sauramon, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Hey all, so I got poison ivy about a week and a half ago (thought it was bug bites due to weed whacking without off for hours on end)

About 4 days later I knew this wasn't bites and decided to seek medical attention and they basicly told me they can't do anything and my only option was to keep putting calamine lotion on, and gave me something to shock my immune system.

Fast foward to now, I have stopped scratching and wash my hands about 20 times a day when I think I touched it on my body, but it's only spreading and getting worse. Tried taking an oatmeal bath, calamine lotion, regular oatmeal to the body, and the pills. But nothing works:(

I can not miss work for the doctors to tell me to step off again,

I need this gone asap, any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I would try webMD or something.

Believe it or not, I'm immune to poison oak and similar plants.
    I get itchy but that's it.

3. I got it really bad a couple weeks ago and super hot showers feel great and getting really stoned were the only things that seemed to help take away the itch.

4. Yeah man, idk how to help. I'm not allergic to any of those plants, but my brother gets poison ivy so bad that his legs were almost scarred from it. I'll ask him what he does to help it

5. For me when I have poison ivy really bad on my feet I took prednisone (sp?) Which was prescribed by a doctor and while taking that my poison ivy went away in about a week or 2. I wouldn't recommend taking a hot shower depending on where your poison ivy is. Because I've heard stories of people taking hot showers and the hot water causes the blisters the break open and then the oil runs down your whole body and now you have poison ivy all over. Lol just my 2 cents

6. I was also given prednisone (started at 70mgs) boy did they have me on a trip for the first time lol. It has only gotten worse and I've been to the hospital again today. They basicly told me to keep doing what I'm doing regardless of how bad the pain is:/

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. bandage it. that way you cant touch it and it isnt rubbing against any other part of your body. then suck it up and wait it out. it will go away eventually.

i got poison ivy really bad a couple times when i was younger. the shit would get oozy and nasty. it was horrible.

8. know what it looks like and avoid it like th3e plague. harder said then done, but i deal with ivy almost daily and have yet to get caught slippin :) good luck man. post updates :)

9. theres soaps n stuff on amazon to cure it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Your best bet at this stage is to wash all your clothes thoroughly. Anything you came into contact with post-exposure needs to be washed as well. Your sheets, pillowcases, socks, even shoes need to be cleaned. Taking oral antihistamines helps some. Don't ever apply external antihistamines to a poison ivy/oak rash.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spotted Jewel Weed/Jimson Weed/touch me not stocks.

"I always have corn chips in the trunk"

12. u have to get it within about 5 hours of contact, use strng dishsoap and a washcloth. scrub with LOTS OF FRICTION AND HOT WATER.

the oil from ivy is about the same as motor oil. so imagine u have to clean that 100 percent off ur skin..

again, soap , friction, fast action.

once the rash has set in u should get a prescription from the doctor.

13. Burn it off with muriatic acid. Hahahaha just kidding. Don't do that. Go to a dermatologist and ask. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Once you get it.. over washing probably isn't helping. I don't get poison myself, but if you're constantly washing you're also killing your good bacteria which will help keep out bad bacteria from getting in there and making it worse. Some think it is a blessing to not get poison, but it's been theorized that people who don't get it actually have a compromised immune system.. because getting a rash from poison is a normal immune system reaction.

15. tec-Nu from drug store, usa it in washing cycle to get out of clothing

16. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1440083770.432544.jpg

Got this a couple years ago it was a lot worse on my legs allll over. I know it's hard to imagine but I was in hell. Common misconception that the ooze from the poison ivy spreads it to other parts of the body.

I kept going fishing at this spot and got the oils in my bed so everytime I went to sleep I would just get more and more. Also everytime I touched my shoes. What helped the most was going to the doctors they gave me shots and pills. Hot showers help a lot too with the histamine. That shit lasted over a month I swear it was hell.

17. When I got this working on my hobby farm I got some steroids from the doctor and it stopped the itch right away. I know prednisone is a steroid but not sure what I was given.