Funkmeisters perpetual no-till garden powered by Bonsai Moms and Platinum LED

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by funkmeister, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Looking great man!

And real cool seeing all the grow technology constantly improving, and coming out with new products. That Orca film looks real interesting.

It's real cool, and they're making tents with it now too.  I really like it, and it wasn't that much more expensive than mylar roles..

3. I'm seeing prices of about $80 for 54"x 25ft for the Orca
    And roughly $20 for 48" x 25ft of Mylar.

For tighter budgets, it's a bit of a difference, but overall, realistically, it's not that bad if it really does what they claim.

4. #24 funkmeister, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015

http://www.orcagrowfilm.com/ORCA_Grow_Film_Beware_of_Killer_Yields_p/orca25.htm

$60 if you go through them.  I was able to cover my 2'5x3'5x6' box, all six sides and have some left over with that roll.

5. Nice thread man! Loving your taste in seeds :)
    I was about to get orca aswell when i started but got panda instead much cheaper.

Maybe in future when i have a more permanent setup def get that orca :p

6. Looking killer funk.

7. #27 funkmeister, Jun 21, 2015

Thanks man! the one thing I like about the orca besides the fact that it disperses the light vs. reflects it, is that its extremely durable.. its a fiber woven material and goes up and comes down pretty easily.. I had to take some down to redo the ceiling when i was working on it, and it didn't tear or anything coming off the walls.  pretty impressive stuff.  What sold me was the light swing test in that video i posted.  The way you can't even tell the light is moving is pretty cool compared to the mylar. 

@dutty, thanks brother!  Working hard and learning from all of you has helped a ton.  Hoping this round goes much smoother than the last haha.

8. #28 funkmeister, Jun 21, 2015
    popped the soaking beans today.. we're off with the bonsai moms.  How close is everyone getting their Platinum LED's to their canopy?  Right now i'm about 15-18" above my canopy in bloom light.

9. 26"
    In bloom I can't speak of haven't got there yet. About 18"

10. #30 funkmeister, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
    so I may have made a mistake with my bonsai moms.. should have known to keep it simple stupid, but I didn't. I put way to much cover crop in the pots when I made them and every single bit of it decided to sprout really screwing up the surface of my soil. I soaked my beans for 16hrs before planting so they hadn't cracked yet and then planted.

I may be ok you tell me. So what happened is the night after I planted the beans, all the white clover cover crop sprouted(i should have put none.. little pissed at myself for this one) and literally pushed the beans to the surface before they had taken root. They weren't exposed but I could see it through the cracks of the surface soil layin in all the white clover sprouts on my white widow, pineapple chunk, and jack herer. I didn't put nearly as much cover crop in the cookies kush and it sprouted just fine.

So I made the decision and pulled the now cracked open seed out of the mess i had created cleaned up the pots and put it back in properly. The tap root was only about 1/2" long on each of them so I think I may be ok, but time will tell I guess. Do these guys still have a chance to sprout or have I screwed the pooch on them? I kind of figured it'd be like cracking it open in a wet paper towel.

Whatever doesn't sprout I will be replacing with some blueberry beans I have, since it's all I have left. Really hoping the white widow and pinapple chunk still sprout. *crosses fingers*

11. As long as the taproot wasn't blasted with tons of light, and wasn't damaged, you stand a good chance of coming out ok. Just give them exactly what they need, as far as waterings, not too much, not too little, and it should help minimize shock IMO.

Just my .02.

12. hopefully you're right! that's kind of what i figured as well, the tap roots looked good, so here's to hoping we see some sprouts in the next couple days.

13. you only need a little bit of clover. its really easy to over seed but I guess it shows you how the clover's roots will till and make sure your soil is aerated. I think you'll be ok. you can throw down a think layer of casting to keep clover at bay and it would also help root your seedling. also, you can add a pinch of myco powder next time you transplant. they have to come into contact with the root physically. they're not mobile in soil so its not something you can water in. castings will have bacteria to help root instead. I hope your pineapple chunk roots too! the description sounded great on barney's.

14. yep, the only way I know to learn is the hard way ;)... Gave the girls their Water 3 this morning, first time adding a bit of TM-7. Excited to see how they take it. Went light with 1/8th tsp for a half gallon water. Will have better update later. Really hope these seeds sprout so I don't have to order more :(

15. I use a seedling tray for mine. that way they get a nice tiny root ball going before they go into bigger pots. they do stretch a little but I bury the rootball and base stem into the soil so it gets air roots and a larger root system. I stop just below the cotyledons. I just put some seedlings in 3 gallons and I'm kinda nervous that it's too big. I'm sure it will be fine as long as I get my sip set up. it's supposed to keep them at the perfect moisture so I don't have to worry about over water.

16. What's up funk?

17. Not much brother, placed a order for some seeds to replace the shit I fubard.

Pineapple chunk, original strawberry cough, headband, lsd, chemdawg, and the freebies from tssc.

18. Why am i so obsessed with saying your name!
    Man you always pick the same seeds as me :D

No mind reading pls

19. #39 funkmeister, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015

Was going to get sensi jack herrer but $27 a regular seed is nuts! Love it though

20. #40 funkmeister, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    Morning GC, here's an update for you. The ladies are just rocking it out right now. I feel like I have my system dialed in after my first attempt which was a great learning experience, but she was treated like a red headed step child. She looks awful and has about 2 weeks to go.. Oh well, I think I might get a quarter off her or something. The two new girls haven't been stressed once and it really shows. The very sativa pheno type jack herer which is the same pheno i got the first grow is nearly as tall as the mess i created first go round already with quite awhile left on her. Gonna be a huge. The indica pheno is just cool and apperently is the most sought after jack herer pheno. I did some research and apperently there are 4 distinct jack pheno's with only one displaying the indica traits. To bad it's an auto, would love to clone it.

The bonsai mom project got off to a rough start, only the Cookies Kush survived the debacle. This morning I dug around a bit and the seeds were just dead and doing nothing.. So yesterday I made a purchase of some replacement seeds, but in the mean time I've come up with a new plan of attack to keep this party rolling!

I am going to be dropping 3 Blue Berry regular seeds this afternoon that have been soaking since last night. They are regular seeds so the plan is to find at least 1 female out of the bunch to turn into a mom, the rest of the females will be my next to flower, and if I don't go 3/3 on females we'll see what's next. Maybe a clone from the cookies kush will go in.

It is amazing what treating these girls right will do to them. They're very happy ladies at the moment.

View attachment 158431

View attachment 158430

View attachment 158433

This is the sad state that my first lady is in.. still all white hairs, but man she's just sad looking [​IMG] Chalk it up to a learning experience which gave me the knowledge I needed. I'm a hands on learner. I can read all day long, but unless I do, I don't learn a damn thing.

She got lockout early on from terrible water, stressed from to hot of soil, and then lockout again right before flower and i'm not sure why on that one. Just pretty much had the roughest go of it you could possibly imagine.
    View attachment 158432