Funkmeisters perpetual no-till garden powered by Bonsai Moms and Platinum LED

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by funkmeister, Jun 13, 2015.

1. #1 funkmeister, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    Good evening all, this will be my new home for all my further growing. Right now I'm wrapping up my first grow and learned a lot. One thing I learned is I wanted to go no-till and away from "supersoil"! I've got my goodies, lets get rockin!

My coot minerals and amendments came from buildasoil. Using high quality canadian peat moss, worm castings, and pumice as my base. I've started a worm bin, but it's quite a ways from producing the worm castings I'm gonna need.

My watering schedule will be the typical no-till watering schedule.

The plan is to completely power this garden with bonsai moms of some of my favorite strains. I've got all the seeds I plan to make mothers out of and will do the entire process right here in this journal. Win, Lose, or Draw. My veg space is very limited so my plan is to take clones and grow them in my very small veg box, until i can't anymore and then move them into the 10 gallon no-till pots in my big box, veg for a little while in there and then flower.
    Over time some will probably get replaced as I get new things, and I will probably just grow some seed out right into the no-tills, but I plan to keep a small crop of bonsai moms for clones.

This grow is a legal medical grow and I follow all laws given to me by my state.

Water 1:
    Pureed Sprouts
    10ml Bio-Ag Ful-Power
    5ml Agsil 16h

Water 2/Water 4:
    Just Water

Water 3:
    1/4 Cup Coconut Water
    Pureed Aloe Vera
    5ml Agsil 16h

Bi-Weekly:
    Add Bio-Ag TM-7

Strains on hand that will be bonsai mother'd:
    Barnie's Farm - Pineapple Chunk
    Barnie's Farm - Cookies Kush
    Barnie's Farm - LSD

Dinafem - Original Strawberry Cough
    Loud - Headband
    HSO - Chemdawg
    CropKings - Blueberry

First Round No-Till:
    CropKings Jack Herer Auto Flower

2. Today I transplanted one of my Jack Herer Auto's from supersoil into my first no-till pot.  A white clover cover crop was planted which will be regularly cut back to create my mulch.  Worms will be added shortly.  This plant will be JH #1.

JH #2 will be transplanted after my current grow ends and I can get both ladies into the big closet as I'm afraid I will run out of height in my small veg box.

Bonsai moms will be started shortly after that once I free up some space in my veg closet.  Pics below of JH #1 in her new home.  Today she got Water #1.  Going forward I will refer to my waterings in my journal by their # in the schedule in the first post.

View attachment 157898

3. Front row seats, alright man.

[​IMG]

4. I've always wanted to follow a coots from someone I liked already I'm all in

5. #5 funkmeister, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
    Glad the crew could make it!  One reason I'm going this route is because I feel I will be able to maximize what I'm allowed to grow.. My state says we can have 7 immature and 2 mature plants for medical grows.  5 Bonsai moms will allow me to have 2 in veg and 2 in flower at all times. 

Having good mothers to clone off of, obviously cuts down on time between harvests.  The bonsais are because of the small veg box I have at the moment.  I've been given permission to renovate the attic by the powers that be(wife), but money and time will keep me working in their for a long time to come.  Pretty excited to go this route as it really fits my personality, and I think that's important in any kind of gardening.

I just went and checked on her and she's already reaching back up which is really damn surprising since I knocked off a few roots when getting as much of the supersoil off as I could.  I also noticed a few of the clover already sprouting too. 

I didn't mention it, but atm I'm using alfalfa sprouts in my sprout tea because it's what I have here.

The 10 Gallon Fabric Pots w/ handles were just about the perfect size to be able to move it around.  I'm a fairly large guy, but any bigger would have been a huge PITA!

6. Here for the show!!

7. I'm not sure if you should be using only alfalfa seeds. Each seed used in sst has a certain application. So you may want to get some malted barley seeds from a beer making supply store. Barley is the one everyone uses and then some use other seeds. Most everyone uses alfalfa meal and kelp meal teas. They don't apply them weekly though. You should go say hi to Prepper420 on his thread Freedom 35. He is great for getting info on the watering schedule and explaining how it all works. You can also try the no till thread as well.

8. #8 funkmeister, Jun 13, 2015

I placed an order for some malted barley should be here any day.. Going to stores for me isn't the easiest so I order a lot of stuff online. 

I also have some sandwich mix which is alfalfa, radish, and a couple others.

9. If you haven't yet, read the sst thread. It's short but really explains how they work.

10. #10 funkmeister, Jun 13, 2015
    by the way to anyone reading, if you're using a jar to sprout your seeds, I highly suggest investing in a seed sprouter.. they're super cheap and sprout a lot faster with less work..

@bean, reading through it now.. 

11. Rapid rooters are great.

With my autos in water 24hrs then straight in soil. 100% so far 7 of them.

12. JH1 got Water 2 this morning, and JH2 was still to moist to give anything.  Both JH1 and JH2 started showing pistils today, which has me a bit worried... Hopefully they don't explode and out grow my little veg box before I can move them in to the bloom box.  My current grow still has at least 2-3 weeks, maybe a bit longer!

My concern with moving them into the bloom box is light, i guess I could get a few more portable CFL's until I get things taken care of.

13. #13 funkmeister, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    Good evening GC, I have an update for you!  Did some work in the garden.  Mixed up a 10 gallon batch of coots no-till soil.  As I stated in my first post I'll be running two 10 gallon no-tills in my garden.  I also put 36 red wigglers into my already planted no-till pot to get some other life in the living soil and they started diving pretty quickly into the pot.  I wasn't sure how many to put in and figured life would balance itself and any that die will be composted into goodness. 

JH #1 got Water 3 today.  Yum!

View attachment 158033
    View attachment 158034

Both ladies are doing fantastic at the moment and i'm really looking forward to getting them under some better light.  Waiting for my first grow to finish up now so i can move them over.  That grow is on week 7 of a 9 week auto flower.

Here is my perfect 10 gallon coots no-till recipe using buildasoil coot kit.  This will fill a 10 gallon pot perfectly.  I mix it in a 56qt tup(14 gallons) which is a perfect size and has plenty of room to mix it up nicely.

13 Quarts Canadian Peat
    13 Quarts Worm Castings/Compost
    12 Quarts Pumice
    2 Cups Coots Ammendments
    5 Cups Coots Minerals
    BioAg Vam(i purchased the smallest bag and split it in half over the two pots).

The reason I only put 12 quarts of pumice in is I like to take the last 1 quart and put a layer of pumice on the very bottom.  I figure it replicates bedrock plus helps drainage.

You can see the worms and the cover crop starting to sprout.

View attachment 158035
    View attachment 158037
    View attachment 158036

14. #14 ladyluckybean, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Looks great over here!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434494677.115022.jpg

15. Yup I concur

16. #16 funkmeister, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    Just placed an order for a Platinum LED P150 for my 3x2 grow room.. Going to run both the 250w CFL and the P150 in there.  Should be exciting going forward! Wife says no more can be spent on this project for awhile.. baby stuff, i said no problem [​IMG]  I don't think there is anything else i need(whom i kidding there is always something else, but i'll be good for awhile.)

Free amazon 2 day shipping and i finally did the application for a store card and got an instant $50/off.  Ended up with the p150 for $189 shipped free 2 days.. be here friday!

17. Looks solid man.

18. Subbed.

I'm down for some Funk!

19. Just got my Platinum LED P150 all hooked up in my box.  looks great, has great coverage in there.. much better than the CFL i had.. I removed the CFL for now till I can figure out how to hang it too.  I'll get some photos up later.. Went to a concert last night in the mountains of VT.. was an awesome night.. cold, but crystal clear with an amazing view of Venus & Jupiter right over the mountains all night.  Pretty amazing.

20. #20 funkmeister, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
    So i got a nice little update here.. Did a bunch of work around the grows today.  I moved the two jack herer I had in the veg box into the bloom room under the new LED.  It has amazing coverage letting me maximize my space well.  With the Orca grow film this thing lights up the box from floor to ceiling.  I am in no way sponsored by this company, but I am a huge proponent of their product.  It in my opinion is by far the best reflective material on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3k-KowCR7Y

The platinum LED is amazing and I freaking love it!

Also, the bonsai moms are under way!  Started soaking my beans today.  Pineapple Chunk, Cookies Kush both from barnies farm.  Dinafem White Widow, and Black Skull Jack Here.  All feminized photo period plants.  I'm going to start them in 1/2 gallon coots mix pots.  Will keep trimming roots to keep them in the 1/2 gallons and small producing a couple clones when I need them.

I'm really excited to show you these photos of my ladies.  The massive difference in health in both these girls is amazing compared to my first grow.  I've learned a lot with a little help from generous souls around here, and just getting hands on.

So far these girls have been stress free and are just loving both the soils I have them in.  One is showing very indica traits in a 70/30/10 Auto Flower, sativa heavy jack herer strain from crop kings.  The other is very sativa tall and lanky.. pretty cool pheno's.  One is in super soil and one is in coots no-till. I'm feeding both the same regiment of watering in my first post.  I'm gonna finish them out in a side by side.

and here is all the work i did today in photo form;
    View attachment 158163
    View attachment 158160
    View attachment 158162
    View attachment 158161
    View attachment 158164
    View attachment 158165