Think of this

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Deleted member 281310, Jun 12, 2015.

1. A GC random thread function. (Like an ipod shuffle option)
    You simply click the button and it takes you to a random thread within any set range of the forums.(Wikipedia has it)
    \nIn my opinion the first 2 pages of every sub forum would be liable to selection.
    What do you think?
    \nHow many times have you found yourself with pipe in hand just scrolling through the forum looking for something to read or post on only to be overwhelmed by the amount of potenial threads? (Netflix comes to mind) This a forum unlike Netflix though, happens to move a lot quicker.
    \nFurthermore you could put it on the sidebar that opens up when you click "View new content(#)" on the main forum page or a completely new option in that empty space adjacent to "View new content(#)".
    \n\n

2. Interesting idea...:cool:

I think it would lead to even more useless posting though, as people will be directed to threads they have absolutely no interest in, and will feel compelled to leave their mark, relevant or not...

I could be wrong though...:)

3. as long as it's limited to not old thread i could see a new member coming on here and bumping every single dead thread ever

4. I kind of already do that with the 'new posts' button. Though it just shows recent activities, but still random to me.

some of the best threads on grasscity are the dead ones

6. True that, but also so are some of the worst. For example this one http://forum.grasscity.com/general-forum-feedback/651607-another-shipping-question.html this thread has been dead for years, and has 0 reason to ever be revived, and I mean people already ignore the post date a lot. I feel like it would be a lot of worthless threads popping it. If it was like shuffle but only for threads made today, then I think it would keep it relevant, and might encourage people to branch into new sections. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good idea. I just also feel like it could very easily create a lot of spam that the mods then have to clean up.

7. "In my opinion the first 2 pages of every sub forum would be liable to selection."  not just threads made today but the first two pages of each sub forum should keep good threads coming back up from the second pages and the second pages usually never contain threads over a year old unless if their games and or pick and choose/polls and of course stickies. Which is a whole nother issue because i'm not sure if people would like to be directed towards a sticky. some stickies are awesome but after a while stickies would come up way to often so i say no to stickies being included. (it's like those really good songs you put in your mix extra because you know people should listen to it more often then others because they're exceptionally good but eventually you overplay it)

8. i just wanted to point out the potential for spam is all. 2 pages, or a day, or anything else i think would be fine. i also feel like certain sections would need to be excluded. like this one for example, or maybe tokers Q&A. i can also imagine some one with like 10 posts going from thread, to thread, to thread just posting random trolly shit. which already happens, but it would give them another tool to do it. i think it's a great idea personally, but i also think there a lot of room for abuse that would need to be taken care of first.

Bro you linked a 5 year old thread that has never been necrobumped. I get what you're saying but I honestly don't really think it's a big deal. I've seen plenty of super old threads be revived without being spammy, And even if it was a problem, they could add some sort of plugin for the forum software that would automatically lock threads that are X years old.

Shuffle idea would be pretty cool, but if it were just threads from today then I wouldn't really be interested. There's plenty of days where I get on here looking for something to read and all of the days threads are unappealing. To each their own I guess