Soil amanders top dressing. Some help for the right mix

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mount madona og, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Hi there

I'm trying to go away from all mega processed fertilizers and try to create soil to reuse and make it better and better.
    So I have a few good dry amendments but not sure of the right mix for a top dressing.
    Here is what I have

Feather meal. Glacial rock dust. Crabmeal. Oystershell. Gypsum. Kelp meal. Fish meal. Bat guano. Greensand.
    All in 50 lbs bags

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

2. #2 mjmama25, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    I would get a bag of compost and mix several cups of rock dust and 1 cup each of everything else and top dress generously around each plant with that. Maybe a few handfuls per week for a couple weeks to see how the plants like it, then dump the rest on if they respond well.

You could also plant some stuff like clover and barley, mulch, etc. Alfalfa is the main thing I would add to your recipe. It makes a great mulch.

3. #3 BrassNwood, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html/page-1
    Here is the most active of the soil building threads to give you some idea of the amounts you should be working with.. That much quantity as top dressing I'd start building a fresh soil pile as well and then cycle your current soil out of the grow to be amended and let cook a month before heading back to the grow.. Promix, Perlite, Eco Scraps compost all can be found at home depot.. Chicken manure as well if you want a hot nitrogen shot to thermal process a pile of soil.. Some EWC and your amendments and your good to go.. I'd pick up a bag or 3 of alfalfa horse pellets in the 50 lb bag as well.. It's my most used amendment being the most bang for your dollars.. Amending in place I've not had good luck with as things get to heavy.. I re-amend with equal or better amounts of perlite, compost and alfalfa to combat the native soil that runs off into the holes I've dug in the natural clay and filled with super soil.. Slowly my sites are getting ever more contaminated with local dirt..

[​IMG]
    Perlite, compost and alfalfa pellets I'll stir in with a small pitchfork.. Every couple of runs I'll dig it all out and toss it back in the general pile and refill with a fresher batch of soil..

BNW